• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug in Bridge 12.0.0.234 (Windows 10): .xmp and .XMP files handled differently

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processing raw files (not DNG) in Camera Raw will automatically create .xmp files alongside the processed raw files, with lower-case file name extensions. When these extensions get changed to .XMP or .Xmp, all of sudden these sidecar files will appear in the Content pane of Brigde 12.0.0.234 with empty (black) thumbnails. Renaming them back to .xmp will make Bridge's behaviour switch back to normal (i. e. hiding the sidecar files in the Content pane).

However, XMP sidecar files should always be hidden in Bridge's Content pane, no matter if their file name extentions are lower-case, upper-case, or mixed-case.

Anyone else noticed this issue?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not something that I have ever noticed. I am rather curious as to why/how your .xmp extensions are being changed to upper case? Why change them if it creates an issue which can be avoided by not changing them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait — there's more!

I just noticed that Bridge 12.0.0.234 will create XMP sidecar files not only for proprietary raw files but also for DNG files, rather than incorportating metadata directly in the DNG file. And for these sidecar files, the same lower-case/upper-case lunacy applies as for proprietary raw files, as lined out above. However, Bridge does not create any sidecar files for JPEG files.

Bridge should not automatically create XMP sidecar files for any image files that support XMP metadata directly, such as DNG files ... or if it does then please upon user's request only! (As a matter of fact, creating sidecar files for DNG files does make sense in some situations but not generally.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 01af,

Hmm, this (XMP files with DNG format) may be a windows issue becuase on the Mac I am not seeing that. You are correct that the DNG container format should not display the XMP.

Please try this test: do something obvious to a DNG image (make it too bright, too dark, whatever). Close ACR. Now toss the XMP file out of the folder. Now open that file again. Does the obvious adjustment remain or does the image look as you first opened it?

As far as no XMP file with a JPG, that's normal becuase a JPG is also a container file and contains any XMP sidecar.

What version of Windows are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Bridge 12.0.0.234 under Windows, edits made to DNG files with Camera Raw will go into an XMP sidecar file and will get lost when the sidecar file is deleted. Edits to DNG files made with older versions of Bridge and Camera Raw will properly show up in Bridge 12.0.0.234 but adding new edits will create an XMP sidcar file again. Deleting it will remove the new edits but not the old ones.

The version of Windows, be it older or current, doesn't make any difference. In any case, sidecar files with their .xmp file name extension written in upper-case or mixed-case will falsely show up in Bridge's Content pane.

Am I really the only one experiencing this issue!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 (21H2).

I just checked a huge number of DNG files (over 40,000) and there is not an xmp file in sight nor any other hidden files.

Whatever editing I do on any DNG file, no xmp files are ever generated.

So is this an issue with your Windows system rather than Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  I go to my folders to look at my files and get no preview image. Is that what you're describing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am describing using Adobe Bridge, not Windows, to browse folders of DNG images. If I opt to view hidden files, there are none to be seen. All images preview correctly and all edits are contained in the DNG files. There seems to be no issue with Bridge for me. I am concluding that the OP has an issue with his Windows system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have that problem too.  Also have many others with this latest version of Bridge 2022.  Batch Rename seems to be creating these on my machine.  Windows 11 machine.  Can't even rename a folder with 500-odd RAW files without it crashing Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that it helps your situation: Windows 11 OS x64 Pro

I just renamed 3 folders

one had 405 raw files

second one had 940 raw files

third had 1648 raw files.

No Crashes

These are Nikon 850 nef files, so they are huge.

When you rename the folders Bridge re-caches the thumbnails.

So it maybe a system resources issue that is causing Bridge to crash.

Can you check the the crash event in admninstrative tools and post the crash report here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, poor choice of words on my part.  I meant I can't rename the 500-odd RAW files within the folder, rather than renaming the folder itself.  I've even gone back to viewing the embedded images rather than the enhanced ones, but this software is just a dog these days.  I had a back-up drive fail on me about six weeks ago and it has taken that long to use Bridge to search for all RAW images on all other drives created during the past 12 months to then copy them all to a new back-up drive.  That puts them all in one folder.  237,107 of them.  That is 12 months of shooting with just the one camera out of three.  Bridge is just not fit for purpose I'm afraid.  Can't tell you how many times it crashed just doing the search part, and then during the copy process it kept crashing again.  Anyway, this is not for this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

It sounds like you need a formal DAM. Bridge is great when you're working with small batches of images, but numbers like that are just beyond its intended capabilities. 

FWIW, you might consider working with Lightroom Classic. That can easily handle the number of images you're working with and LRC's keywording and search capabilities are top notch. 

Outside of that, there are many non-Adobe DAMs out there, many more for PCs than Macs. But as I'm on a Mac, I cannot recommend one. Sorry.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @01af ,

Thanks for your feedback, we are able to reproduce the issue. Team is investigating the same.

Thanks,

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @01af ,

I'm experiencing the same problem with the .XMP sidecar files after updating to Bridge 12. The .XMP files show up in the film strip in Bridge, with blank thumbnails. Also, the screen is not stable, as if Bridge is constantly trying to open the files of create thumbnails. Because of the flickering of the screen, it is not even possible to rename a raw file, because evrything is constantly refreshing and the selection of the file name disappears in a frction of a second. By chance I noticed that when I renamed the .XMP files to .xmp files, everything was fine.

Om also on Win10, everything up to date. The raw files are Canon CR2 and the XMP's are created during import from the camera with Photo Mechanic. I am in cotact with support, they will call me in the next days. It is good to see that there are more people with this problem. As a workaround I have reinstalled Bridge 11.

Did you get a solution yet?

I've attached a small video of the effect on my screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @01af ,

I'm experiencing the same problem with the .XMP sidecar files after updating to Bridge 12. The .XMP files show up in the film strip in Bridge, with blank thumbnails. Also, the screen is not stable, as if Bridge is constantly trying to open the files of create thumbnails. Because of the flickering of the screen, it is not even possible to rename a raw file, because evrything is constantly refreshing and the selection of the file name disappears in a frction of a second. By chance I noticed that when I renamed the .XMP files to .xmp files, everything was fine.

Om also on Win10, everything up to date. The raw files are Canon CR2 and the XMP's are created during import from the camera with Photo Mechanic. I am in cotact with support, they will call me in the next days. It is good to see that there are more people with this problem. As a workaround I have reinstalled Bridge 11.

Did you get a solution yet?

I've attached a small video of the effect on my screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the exact same problem! I found that images that don't already have a .xmp file created work completely fine (once you use Camera Raw it creates a .xmp file and doesn't have the flashing issue). However, when a .xmp file already exists, Camera Raw edits the .xmp file, but Bridge gets confused and can't decide whether the edited .xmp file should be hidden or not, causing the flickering. Sorry if this information is already known, I just wanted to confirm that I am experiencing the same issue. I hope this gets resolved soon, in the meantime I also reinstalled Bridge 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines