• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW does not work with my new Canon camera

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use Bridge and Camera Raw to batch edit some Canon .cr2 files. My camera, Canon EOS 77D, is supported but requires version 9.10 and I have only 9.1.1. I have checked for updates and it says: "your applications are all up-to-date". How can I get the version I need?

I'm running CS6 on an iMac OSX Sierra.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Hi,

Unfortunately, photoshop cs6 can only use up to camera raw 9.1.1 and your camera requires at least camera raw 9.10, which is newer than your 9.1.1 camera raw.

You can use the adobe dng converter to convert the cr2 files into dng copies which should then open in photoshop cs6.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 9.12

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, photoshop cs6 can only use up to camera raw 9.1.1 and your camera requires at least camera raw 9.10, which is newer than your 9.1.1 camera raw.

You can use the adobe dng converter to convert the cr2 files into dng copies which should then open in photoshop cs6.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 9.12

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded to CS6 from 5, I was told that it would be future-proof for new cameras. This is very disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an EOS 77d and using lightroom 5.5 (new) and have converted raw files to dng files that can be opened outside of LR 5.5. I have installed in LR5.5 the Camera Raw plugin version 12.1 (which I don't know if it is necessary and how to overwrite or uninstall). Adobe online "cameras supported by camera raw" says I need version 9.1 (or better ?). I am using a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer. The online Cameras supported Camera Raw states I need for the EOS 77D camera and (Raw) CR2, minimum Raw Plugin of version 9.10.  Could this 12.1 plugin be stopping me from seeing my photos in LR5.5. Any help is welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

I'm sorry but I'm confused by what you say here: "... and using lightroom 5.5 (new)..."

Lightroom 5.5 was released in June 2014.

The current released versions of Lightroom Classic is 9.1. (Lightroom Classic is probably what you are referring to as lightroom was split into two different versions, the other being "Lightroom."

Anyhow, back to your issue: you state you converted your files to DNGs (perfect approach) but how did you do that? The best approach would be to use the DNG Converter. Is it possible that you've not downloaded the most recent version? Since the 77D is a new camera, you must use the most recent release of the DNG Converter as it will have the instructions to make the conversion for the DNG.

The newest release can be downloaded from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

And, as a side note: the advances that have taken place since LR 5.5 have been phenominal. To limit your wonderful brand new camera's images to the capabilities to such old software is not letting you access the full potential of what it can do. You might reconsider looking at the "rental" system that Adobe offers now for $10/month. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html?promoid=9DJJ4N49&mv=other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary 

Sorry about that I meant that Lightroom 5.5 is new to me, as I have just purchased a new computer and this is the version installed on it. I have downloaded Adobe DNG Converter 12.1 (It says on the Adobe site this is the latest converter) and I have used this and converted files, I can see them in photo format, in the folder I made and stored them in. I then try opening them in LR 5.5 and cannot view or open them, LR5.5 does not shows them as supoprted files, this is strange as I can see one DNG in Lightroom. (maybe this is a DNG  made in LR5.5 I will check by doing some others and note the process although it is not the latest DNG so ?)

I have done bird photography in many countries and have done so for 5 years but I am now looking at enhancing the quality of my images and so leaning to what you say that I may have to go up to an enhanced  higher versions and pay the $15 Canadian (I think) and get the best.  Can you get out of paying when you don’t use like the bad Winter months in Canada.

Thanks for the help. 

Regards

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Ha! What a novel idea: only paying for months that you can take photos...

Very sorry but I do not think that that would fly with Adobe. However, think of it this way: one of the big advantages of LR-Classic is that you never touch the original image, rather you only work on the interpretation of the image via LR-Classic. So, when it's too cold to take new images, you can always go back to your image, create a Virtual Copy (which is nothing more than a parallel interpretation of the original image) and try experiements with your image or try features that are new to you.

For good or bad, you can spend COUNTLESS hours with Lightroom-Classic. Also if you get the version that comes with Photoshop, think of all of the new things to try!

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before coverting the cr2s with the dng converter, change the Compatibility settings to Camera Raw 7.1 and later

Screenshot-(207).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines