• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I swap between searching by folder name and by date of shoot?

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a photographer and I have thousands of folders named as follows: Kim Kardashian 9.11.20 (Name of model)(Date of shoot).

I have a frequent need to sort among a large number of folders so that I can see what recent work is outstanding.

For the last several years I've been using a separate third party database systems to create sorting fields by date.   It's ridiculously laborious and expensive.  Isn't there some way to better manage my workflow with Bridge?  This seems a simple enough and obviously needed kind of function.  

In an ideal world I'd be able to see folders arrayed by name of model OR by date of shoot.  It'd be very useful to be able to store things like models' proper name vs nickname, social media account info, email, phone number.  I'd love to be able to flag folders so that I can see which shoots I've completed all the work for and which have outstanding work.  These all seem incredibly basic needs for photographers.  COuld anyone point me in a useful direction?

TOPICS
How to , Keywords , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Lightroom-Classic

Bridge is my top choice to quickly go through a bunch of images. I always take raw (I do convert them to DNGs) and thereby am always using ACR. However, LR-C is ACR with a database. 

Because of the database within LR-C, you have the full power of ACR AND the full power of a database. Thus, for my primary images, LR-Classic is my top choice.

You can continue to use folders for each shoot and/or use Keywords and/or some combination of the two. For example, if you've taken multiple shoots of Kardashian, you can pull them all up or limit them to a specific range of a specific shoot depending on how you set your keywords up.

The workflow is quite a bit different in that after you import your images into LR-C, DO NOT MESS WITH THEM IN THE FINDER OR EXPLORER. LR-C works by knowing where the images are. If you move them around outside of LR-C, it doesn't know about that and will not be happy. You can fix it but avoid that issue in the first place will make for a happier experience.

I'd suggest that you go to https://www.lightroomqueen.com for some excellent overview of the application.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Gary on this issue. 

Much happier experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines