• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon EOS R raw files

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get my cr3 files off my memory card from my EOS R!!!  I have updated photoshop, ACR and Bridge. I am at a loss as I have no idea what to do.  I can see the files when I access the card directly in Bridge, but its not processing the thumbnails, they are pixelated and I cannot highlight and move them all without Bridge freezing.  

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

Can you please supply what OS (and what release) you are using?

Also, Just to be certain, what versions of Bridge, ACR, & PS are you using?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using High Sierra  V 10.13.6

Photoshop 21.0.2

Bridge 1.0.1

ACR 12.1

Would the issue be with my card?  When I try to move them over via my card reader (any type, raw, craw, jpg) I get a code 36 error.    

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “IMG_2319.CR3” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)"

The thumbnail when I open the card via my desktop is a black EXE box and the file type is coming up as Adobe document (the raw files).

I used a brand new SD card, formated it first.  I somehow ended up doing something last night to one of them while I was trying to get the photos off it via my card reader and it my camera or the reader wont' read it and says it needs to be formatted 😞 I never got the 700+ photos off it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

OK, you are not on Catalina (that was one thing I wanted to verify becuase Bridge is having lots of issues with Catalina). (And I'm sure that's a typo that you do have Bridge 10.1.01)

Did you format your card before or after moving the images from the card to your computer (Hint: formating is like erasing so if you formatted the card before moving the images to your computer, they may be lost.) (2nd Hint: ALWAYS format your cameras cards IN your camera, not in your computer. What formatting does is to set the structure of the sectors so that they can be accessed for more information. Your computers formating may be different than you cameras formatting.)

OK, If you formatted the card with the images on the card, look into purchasing some software that may be able to recover the images. If you formatted the card, this may be more of a challenge but losing 700 images might be worth a try.

It is best to move the images to your computer BEFORE trying to access them in Bridge (or Photoshop, etc.). So when you say you could see them on the card in Bridge, that byitself, doesn't mean much (to me).

You do not say how old your computer is but you can also try to turn on Use Software Rendering but that's a guess as it usually applies to raw images and if you have 700 images on a card, you are probably taking jpg images.

2020-01-11_16-15-15.png

Nonetheless, if these are raw images, go into ACR's Preferences and turn Graphics Processor to Off

2020-01-11_16-23-11.png

One last question (mostly for the future): were these 700 images all taken at the same time or were you just "holding" them there and had not gotten around to downloading them into your computer. If so, please keep in mind that any digital asset (e.g., photos) are both precious and very fragile. Every time I go off and take photos I come home and place them on my computer and then back up those files to another hard drive (which is also backed up to the clouds). I'm sure you've heard the montra that if you house is burning down you run and grab your photos, and then everything else. I do not need to do that.

Oh, one last thought: if you open up that card in your Finder, do you see the images there? If so, try dragging them from the card to a folder on your desktop. 

Let me know if any of this helps,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer all of your wonderful points!

Formatting-I only do it after I have transferred files to my computer and typically I wait until the photos have been edited to delete them from my card and then I format before I use it again. I format in camera only.  I formatted this card only once when it was taken out of the pacakge and before I used the card.

I can't get the photos onto my computer at all which is the issue.  They will not drag off any memory card I have tried (I have tried 3 separate brand new cards) as I get that error and information I posted. 

My computer is a macbook pro and its 3 years old.

The 700 images that were lost were raw files-the card is a 64GB card.  They were taken all in one session.  I also come home and move the images to my computer, an external as well as a off site back up, so I am covered there.

I tried moving them from the memory card via finder and it worked?!!  Why will it work from there and not from the icon that comes up on my desktop any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah, so I moved the files from the card to my desktop via finder and I ejected the card via my computer.  I now went to go open it again and its telling me the card is not readable by my computer?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing, I notice these cr3 files come up as "adobe document" and my old cr2 files come up as canon raw file in the description when I open the folder containing them on my computer.  Would this affect anything? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to not working again.... getting the same code 36 error.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

Whew, lots to parse here but let me start in the beginning of this new group:

First off, (bigger whew) great that the 700 photos were not lost. Occasionally someone has done something "not good" and truly looses a bunch of family photos. That's always sad in so many ways.

BTW, your process for formating is spot on. Great!

As far as moving images from the card via finder and not from "the icon on my desktop," can you provide a screenshot of this icon? And is it your desktop or the Dock? Really no sure what this could be. No, WAIT. Could you be getting the Photos app icon? When I put my card into my card reader I often get the Photos app pop up letting me import the images into Apple's Photos. Could that be the icon you're speaking of?

Issue 2: card rejected after being ejected from computer. Gosh, not a clue. Never seen that. Question: after moving the images from the card to your computer (via Finder dragging), did you toss the images while the card was still in the computer or just leave it as is to reformat (to erase) the card in your camera?

Issue #3: When I look at a collection of different kinds of digital files on my computer, it shows CR2 (Canon Camera Raw file), DNG (Digital Negative File), TIF (Adobe Photoshop TIFF file), PSD (Adobe Photoshop file), jpg (Adobe Photoshop JPEG file). In other words, I've never seen any file coming up as "adobe document," but then again I've never seen/used a CR3 file. If anything I'd expect them to show up as "Canon Camera Raw file," which is what they are. The one possible explanation I can guess at is that CR3s are fairly new but I don't buy that explanation either.

Issue #4: code 36 error: can you please elaborate exactly the process you are doing when you get the code 36 error? Please lay that out in steps, 1) insert card into card reader, 2) (etc). 

The problem I'm having in understanding you is that earlier you state: "I can't get the photos onto my computer at all which is the issue.  They will not drag off any memory card I have tried (I have tried 3 separate brand new cards) as I get that error and information I posted. " and yet later you state: "I tried moving them from the memory card via finder and it worked?!!" What are you doing when you try to drag (which is copy) from the card on your Desktop.

Thanks again for your patience,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for taking the time to deal with me Gary!  

Originally, when I did the first reply, I could not get the images off my card at all. Then I tried via Finder and it worked, so I edited the post at the bottom. It was short lived though, as it worked once and then when I went to try again, I got the code 36 error again.

I have spent the better part of a day taking test shots in different formats and testing to see what will transfer onto my computer and what won't.  I can get the photos off the cards now-usually via finder rather then just the desktop icon (what I mean by this, is when I plug my card reader in and insert the SD card, an icon pops up on the desktop when I can usually double click to open and then drag the files from there/the card to my desktop). I have one card that works one minute and then I get the code 36 error.  2 are corrupt.  

I have no idea what's happening at all.  I feel like its not program issues, which is what this community is for-and that its card or maybe card reader errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try plugging the camera directly into the computer and using Image Capture to read the card in camera. If that works, then swap out your USB cable to the card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem: the Canon EOS R CR3 raw files are not downloading via Bridge. Camera Raw has disappeared from the Photoshop File menu. What is going on? It's like updating Photoshop and Bridge, they become more and more obsolete with my Canon camera....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop and Bridge 2023, Windows 10. Up to before I made the updates, everything was fine. I really regret making them now... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It feels like Photoshop and Bridge are not meant for professional use anymore. Is ther another program meant for raw files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I cannot download raw files on Bridge, that Photoshop has no Camera Raw option anymore, and that I could not find a Camera Raw program to download... what am I supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried dowbloading the raw files from my Fuji X S10 camera and it does not work either. So the problem is the raw file. Can anyone help me with this please? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not downloading JPG files either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a different issue. Did you start a new topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error 36 is end of file, that means file corruption. If you can't get them off the card with it in the camera, you'll want to try a file recovery utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines