• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cmd+Q still won't quit Bridge

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got this bug for quite some time now, and it persists through the updates.

I can't quit Bridge using the shortcut cmd+Q whenever I've hidden the app. All works fine as long as I don't hide Bridge. Once I've hidden it, and go back to the app Cmd+Q doesn't work anymore. Other shortcuts work fine.

Maybe it's not 100% Bridge related? I've trashed the prefs and updated/reinstalled the app several times but the bug persists.

Any thoughts on this?

Tom

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I have to say I've never thought about Command-q quitting an application that's hid before this.

Does ANY application successfully quit that way? I just tried it and although I've been using Macs since 1986, I can't think of how the Mac would know that I want it to quit if it's not the selected application. And if I do select it in the Dock, it's no longer hidden, and then it can be quit.

When I have (say) Bridge hidden, and then click on the Bridge icon in the Dock, and then Command-q, it quits as normal.

So, let's back up and get the specifics: what version of Bridge are you using and what version of the Mac OS are you on. (and please supply the exact version of each).

And while I'm at it, have you tried rebuilding your preferences for Bridge:

First, quit Bridge (if open). Then, when launching Bridge, press Command-Option (Mac)/Control-Alt (Win) + Shift to choose “Reset Preferences”, Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache”, and/or Reset Standard Workspaces.” In your case, chose "Reset Preferences."

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

thanks for the reply.

I probably didn't explain myself well: there's no way to quit a hidden app without unhiding it first (as far as I know) 😉

I usually toggle to Bridge using Cmd+Tab, and then try to quit using Cmd+Q. Toggling and quitting works fine this way, unless the app was hidden before. As long as I don't hide the app the shortcut works as expected. Once I hide Bridge - to work in some other app - and return to Bridge (either toggling Cmd+Tab or clicking the icon in the Dock) Bridge won't quit using the shortcut.

Resetting preferences didn't change anything. That's why I was thinking it might be a OS related issue?

Working on a MacBook Pro 2015, running Catalina 10.15.7

Bridge 2021 v11.1.1.185

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Gee, I'm sorry it's working for me as you described, no issue. But I do not know if it makes any difference that I'm using Big Sur or not.

Also, as one who typically has a dozen or so applications concurrently running and never hides anything at any time (yeah, it actually works for me), I'm not the kind of person who would likely have noticed this before.

About all I can suggest to you at this point is that you try some maintenance on your Mac. I do this myself about once every month or two just to try to stay a step ahead before I NEED to do it. FWIW, I like (MAC-OS) Cache Cleaner. I've been using it for years and have found it reliable and effective. You can download it from https://www.northernsoftworks.com The reason why I stated MAC-OS is that each new release of the Mac OS they release an updated version. The program is backwards compatible but not forward. So if you were to get the Big Sur Cache Cleaner, it would be compatible with your OS. But if you had Catalina Cache Cleaner, it would not work with my computer. I've been updating for well over a dozen years now. They do have a (I think) 10 day free trial so if it doesn't work for you, no money lost. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a small update on this:

I updated to Bridge 2022 yesterday, but the issue persists. I did install without keeping any preferences, and chose to remove the older version during installation.

It's gotta be an OS issue, surely, but I have no idea what could be the cause 😞 Especially since no other app (Adobe or otherwise) has the same bug.

I have a CleanMyMac license on another Mac which cleans redundant files very well - I'll give it a go and see if it changes anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines