• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.CR2 images appearing as .dng in Bridge

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a zip file for an online class i'm doing.  This zip file contained .CR2 files to work on for the class.  Except, when i open Bridge to see the files, everything is .dng.  is there something in my software that's converting them, even though i haven't opened them in any adobe software other than Bridge yet?

Message was edited by: Akash Sharma

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Thanks Jane.  As I said in my response to Akash above, i did check with them and they did tell me that they sent me .dng files.  i just couldn't imagine that they sent files that didn't do the the very things that they were demonstrating OR explain why that was.  in any event, it's all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rojas66,

Sorry that your .CR2 files are appearing as DNG in Bridge. Which camera are these .CR2 files shot on? Bridge do not convert files to DNG automatically.

Also, which version of Bridge are you using and what is your operating system?

Have you tried opening any of those extracted images directly in Photoshop?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash.  I think the photographer used a Canon 5D.  I'm using Bridge CS6 5.0.2.4 on a Mac.  I have not tried opening them in photoshop, but they're showing up in finder as dog so i suspect that wouldn't make a difference.  Might my system be automatically converting them when i download the zip file?  I suppose there's a chance that they are .dng on the instructors end, but wouldn't they tell you that? Because the files don't behave the same and won't do some of the things that are being taught (i.e. .xmp files).  So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please ask for the originals from the instructor and see if they are still DNG's?

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did check into that.  it's a dated Creative Live class with Ben Willmore.  I'm told .dng files are what i'm supposed to have, which is annoying, since they don't behave the same way based on some of what is being taught.  thanks for your time Akash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rojas,

Here is the Help page for CreateLive.

Help | CreativeLive

Most likely, they have sent you DNGs, but you really need to ask them this question.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane.  As I said in my response to Akash above, i did check with them and they did tell me that they sent me .dng files.  i just couldn't imagine that they sent files that didn't do the the very things that they were demonstrating OR explain why that was.  in any event, it's all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rojas,

The only thing that should be different is that the .dng does not have the .xmp file that accompanies it. What else was different from what they were demonstrating?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so far that's the main thing.  Instructor was demonstrating how .xmp files work, deleting the ones you don't need, but never explaining that .dng files don't contain .xmp files (it took me a while to figure that out), and i didn't even notice right away that they were .dng files.  i thought something was wrong on my end, figuring that the files would work in the same way that his were.  It was basically an important missing dot in a connect the dots moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Whether it is dng or cr2 (Canon) or nef (Nikon), you will see a small icon in the upper right if the image has  been modified in ACR. You can right-click the image in Bridge to copy the settings or to clear them. Those settings are stored in a sidecar (xmp) with a cr2 or nef, but are not a separate file when you modify the dng.

That should be the only difference, but ask again if you have any more questions.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes that is what i learned in the class.  each separate edit will have a separate .xmp file and then you delete the versions you don't need, i guess to keep it tidy.  i'm all set with education, they just weren't clear on the files and it created confusion.  IMHO, they should have given me the exact same version of the files that the instructor was using, or at least explain the difference between .dng or .cr2 files in terms of .xmp files.  It is after all a photoshop 101 class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree!

In answer to your original question, you can on purpose convert to dng when downloading files into Bridge from you camera or other device (I do) and you can convert cr2 files to dng after the fact, but it sounds like that’s not what happened in your case.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines