• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Diagonal lines in Preview and Export

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help me understand why I am getting these diagonal white lines when previewing my PSD file and also in the resulting JPEG export? It is quite annoying and I just can not figure out why. It only shows up on some images, not all, and I can't find a pattern to it.

Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 22.16.08.png

I've attached the PSD too, in case that helps. I am running Adobe Bridge 12.0.0.234

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe I haven't gotten an answer to this in one week 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriel,

I think the best reason why no one has responded is because no one has a ready answer for you. I've seen vertical lines and horizontal lines, but diagonal? That's a new one for me. That notwithstanding, let me see if I can help parse things out.

First off, you supplied a screenshot of the image, but you did not provide the image. While the former is a big help in understanding what you're experiencing, it does not provide any mechanism to see if anyone else can get the same artifact on their system.

Please add some background information: What is your OS (and what release)?

You state that some of the images show this: is there any consistency of what images do show this? Do they only show it on the screen, or do they print with this line as well? Is the line always in the exact same place, or does the location drift? The screenshot shows this in a portrait mode image. Do they ever show up in a landscape view image?

What kind of camera was used? How were the images saved (jpg, tif, raw)?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but like I said, this is new to me (and probably many others) so the more information we can get, the better chance we can get to the bottom of this.

Lastly, please remember that all of us here are just users like yourself, but with a bit more experience than others and are willing to try to help. None of us are paid and do not work for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary!

Thanks for the reply. It's odd, I did attach the original PSD but for some reason it's not showing here. I'll add them to WeTransfer. I hope that's allowed: https://we.tl/t-RQsA2CVIr8. I've additionally included another PSD which doesn't have the issue, taken under the same condition and with almost identical edits. They were both taken with a Canon DSLR as raw files.

Also, BINGO! I think you've hit the nail on the head here Gary! They do seem to show up only on the shots with portrait orientation. I wonder why! Any ideas?

No need to apologise for all the questions. The questions are good, and as you can see, they did reveal something. Also, I know this is only for users. It's just that I imagined I'm doing something obviously wrong to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriel,

OK, this was a great way to send me the image, it/they came in fine.

First, the problem shows up in Bridge on my computer. This means it's probably not your system. However, it does NOT show up when I open it in PS. I'm not sure you mentioned that it was or was not showing up in PS. This is a bit of an inconvenience as it does not give me much latitude to experiment and immediately see the results. 

So, I did a few experiments: there is a key-combination (Shift-Option-Command-e) that will take all layers and make them into one layer on top of everything. Again, the line remains in Bridge, but does NOT show up in PS.

When I saved as a JPG, again, it does NOT shows up in Bridge and it does NOT notseen in PS.

Lastly, I save the image as a TIF image. And finally it does NOT show up in Bridge and does NOT show up in PS. 

You also did not mention if you've printed this or not, but if you have, does it show up there?

Two last experiments: I saved out JUST the positive and then JUST the negative of the cat (none of the other layers) and the line shows in both. So there's nothing that the adjustment layers are adding here. But, when I saved each as a TIF image, no line in either version.

Lastly, about this negative: the bottom layer is a negative of the image. Were these scanned? If so, how did you scan them? What kind of scanner, and what resolution were they scanned at? What kind of software was used to do the scanning? Or, did you photograph a negative? If so, what was your process?

Overall, despite the annoyance of this whole thing, and unless the line shows up when you print, I'd not be overly concerned. 

Looking for your comments and answers to my questions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing all that! Indeed, it is the same for me. It looks fine in Photoshop. I did however not go as far as to testing individual layers. Thanks for confirming it wasn't the edits that caused it.

The scanning technique was indeed using a Canon DSLR, a film carrier, and using my iPhone as a back light running a "white screen" video from YouTube.

One thing I do notice, is that when I import all the RAW files into Photoshop at first, Adobe Camera Raw pops up, and some of the shots are rotated, so I have to rotate them inside ACR (using Cmd + ]) to make sure they are all aligned the same (so that I can later apply my negative conversion actions). I'd be curious if it's at that point where the issue happens.

I don't really have a positive outlook on this to be honest. I'll likely have to start converting them to JPEG using Photoshop. It'll be less convenient, but perhaps there is no better choice momentarily.

Regarding prints, I'd assume it will likely be invisible on smaller prints. I print few of these photos, and mostly keep them for viewing on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do you see the line if you save as TIFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the late reply. I do not see it in the TIFF. Also, the TIFF file size appears to be smaller (when using compression). I know nothing about this file format, perhaps I should start using it to avoid this issue... I need to read up on it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Research completed. Conclusion: TIFF is better. I will be using TIFF from now on 🙂

Thank you very much for helping me identify the problem and find a solution. Kudos to you and many good thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad this approach is working!

FWIW, it appears that it has something to do with your scan, and how it interacted with PS. Very strange.

I tend to use TIF over PSD for a variety of reasons, one of which is that works with other programs better. For example I can put a TIF image into InDesign with transparency and it's just fine. PS, not so much. Also, other programs can create TIF images (e.g., Topaz), but creating PSD is rare. Also, you can open a TIF image in ACR but not with a PSD. [One warning: if you have a TIF with layers, it cannot be opened with ACR. If you have such an image, you need to flatten the image AND toss the cache for that folder before Bridge can recognize that the TIF file is now available for ACR activities.]

I do not know if you found the reasons but when saving a TIF, if the image is an 8-bit image, you want to use ZIP compression and if it's a 16-bit image, you want to use LZW. You get better compression with ZIP on 8-bit and better compression with LZW with 16-bit. I read an article on this a bunch of years ago. I do not remember the reasons, but the author was not keen with JPG compression. Either way, many non-adobe old applications cannot read a compressed TIF image. So, if there's any balking when trying to place a TIF image in an application, try resaving the image with no compression.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriel,

Thankyou for reporting the issue.

Could you share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • System configuration

Please share the sample file/files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com 

Regards, 

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue with random psd's showing a white line in Bridge over the past week, and tried saving as tif/jpg - to no avail, however I found that if I reopened the file in PS &  re cropped it - in this case bigger, ( having ensured the delete cropped pixels is unticked), it then saved as psd but without the white line. Bizarre but better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering this issue as well on Bridge version 12.0.2.252 - Sending  the .PSD & screenshot to the email above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I started saving in TIFF format and the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines