Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DOUBLE CLICKING IN BRIDGE NOT WORKING WITH PHOTOSHOP 2018CC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need some help restoring functionality to bridge. Double clicking on a thumbnail of a jpeg file no longer opens the image in Photoshop, similarly right clicking and using "open with" has the same result and likewise dragging the thumbnail onto the Photoshop icon in the dock no longer works.

File type associations in the preferences is set to Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 for jpeg files.

This lack of functionality became a problem following an upgrade of the Photoshop application.

The application is being used on an IMac running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Adice and help would be appreciated.

G.Brown

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Of course. You are free to and it does not cost extra. In fact it's smart to have that back-up, especially if you are a professional and your clients won't understand delays caused by CC 2018 somehow raising issues.

So here's how to do it from the CC Desktop app.

Downgrade1.png

Downgrade2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if a Preference Reset restores your settings:

Start Adobe Bridge and immediately press Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) until the Reset Settings dialog box appears. Select all three options--Reset Preferences, Reset Standard Workspaces, and Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache--and then click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

I have actioned the three resets as suggested. Double clicking on a jpeg thumbnail succesfully launches Photoshop and nothing more1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the exact same version of Bridge CC 2018 (8.0.1.282) and Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.1 on a 2012 MBP.

It works normally here.

Some users complain that when they double-click in Bridge, there is a thumbnail in the layers panel and a title tab, but no image in the work area. Is that what you see?

Anyway, you can also reset Photoshop's Preferences in case they somehow got damaged in the update.

Open Photoshop, Cmd k to get to Preference, Reset and Restart.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not seeing anything in the layers panel.

I've reset Photoshop as suggested and restarted the machine, unfortunately this has not resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside of Bridge at the Finder level does a jpeg open in Photoshop when double-clicked on the Desktop for example?

Sorry if I seem dense, I want to hone in on the nature of this problem.

While waiting for your answer, I would like to  suggest you Safe-boot your Mac by holding down the Shift key on restart, then from there a regular restart. I've used this method for repairing system level file associations.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I double click in the finder a jpeg opens in Preview. I have therefore changed the default to Adobe Photoshop CC2018. Interestingly some images are opening in Photoshop and others will not open and a window with the following pops up “7652-008-STEMS MIDDLESBROUGH.jpg” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

I have restarted in safe boot and the restarted the machine normally again without success.

What i have discovered is that jpegs direct from an iphone or those created using Photoshop CC 2015.5 and prior will open by double clicking in bridge. It would appear that the problem is confined to those created using Photoshop CC 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally I will get image files with the "unidentified developer" message. Right or Ctrl click on the image and select "Open" from the Context menu. You then see the same message but with an open button. Once you click on it, it should open normally from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that worked. However it does not make any difference to Bridge.

Is it worth trying to install an earlier version of PhotoshopCC say 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. You are free to and it does not cost extra. In fact it's smart to have that back-up, especially if you are a professional and your clients won't understand delays caused by CC 2018 somehow raising issues.

So here's how to do it from the CC Desktop app.

Downgrade1.png

Downgrade2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me recently and drove me crazy. After reading though this article and noticing that your fix was to go back to an older version, I REALLY wanted to share this answer with you...just in case you haven't sumbled across this solution since posting your question. 

I found video (linked below) that helped. But, the steps are to go to Preferences in Bridge, then "File Type Associations". Select Photoshop as the program that will be opened for each of the file types that you work with. I hope that makes sense. If not, the video will definitely help!

#04 Change Opening Images Default Settings In Bridge Adobe Photoshop CC Tutorials - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The video above worked for me. My Illustrator files were set to open with "AI Sniffer", instead of Adobe Illustrator.

Easily changed by opening Bridge>Preferences>File Type Associations and navigating to Illustrator.

But Adobe - why does this happen? Will there be an update for Illustrator and Photoshop to clean up the bugs from this latest update? My Photoshop speed has been halved since the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines