• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloader sequence numbering

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Bridge to import camera trap pics because it is many times faster than anything else incl Lightroom. I cannot figure out how to retain the actual time order/sequence of the images when I rename them on import. 

I rename them with a <custom text+date+sequence#> system. Bridge Downloader appears to number them in this order: first picture from the last day, 2nd pic from last day etc., then 1st picture from the previous day, etc., ending with the pictures from the first day. So the first number is the first pic from the last day and last pic number is the last picture from the first day.  

I know I can easily rename them in Br or Lr, or choose to use orig file name instead of sequence on the rename, but there seems like this should be an easy thing to do in Downloader.  

HELP!

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there really no one here that can address this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay but the forums have gone a big makeover and it's been confusing as all get out for us. This must have been inadvertently looked over.

I'll see if I can help but this is not an area where I'm very experienced in. 

As you state your wish, I do not believe there is an approach that will work for you. If you look at the photo renaming options in the Photodownloader, I do not see those options available to the user.

2019-10-18_10-51-32.png

Since you can get the naming that you wish from within the Batch Rename inBridge, I suspect that you might be limited to that approach. Sorry I cannot help more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

As I was clicking "Done" I happen to have noticed in the Rename Files: on the very bottom was Advanced Rename. This gives you this:

2019-10-18_11-02-14.png

And this might provide the flexibility you are seeking. Please let us know if this works for you or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for tackling this Gary.  No, that doesn't solve it though I'm afraid.  I do use the advanced rename tool (actually PC equivalent) when I do this and it names them as I described above- the sequence # is always out of whack.  Rather than adding the whole extra processing step of renaming them once downloaded I might just give up on using seq # and use a time of day code.  It just makes no sense to me why Bridge sequences them this weird way by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sadly, as I said in the beginning, I'm at the end of my expertise here. I've never needed such detail in my image naming so I am at a loss as to how to help you on this task.

Good luck, hopefully someone else may chine in with more experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, but to be clear- I do not really need any detail in my naming- I just want the sequence #'ing to correspond with the actual sequence in which the photos were captured so that I can do the the rename on import and not 2 steps.  Seems like it should be simple and the default and the fact that others aren't suffering this suggests there's a solution or I'm doing something wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Mulling on this a bit, I wonder how are you starting the process?

That is, how are the images sorted when you start? In Bridge, in the upper right part of the screen you can sort the images by date,  filename, etc. 

I agree with you that the way that the images are being named does seem that it is ignoring their current order if they are already in order of either file name or date created. Is it possible you have them sorted by something more unique and less helpful such as size or did some manual ordering? 

The renaming will be done in the order seen so if the original order is off, so would be your renamed documents.

Might this be involved in your issue?

2019-10-18_13-42-11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thought and I had a momentary "AH!  Of course!"  I normally don't even look at them in Bridge before import and just go directly to the Downloader.  But I just tried sorting them first in the basic Bridge interface and that doesn't matter, they still sort the way I described in the Downloader no matter how I sort them in Bridge beforeahand.- see screen cap.2019-10-18 (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dash it all I was hoping I had it on that one. 

Sorry, I'm again at a loss. 

Alas, I do not think I have any more ideas. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines