• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Bridge metadata to csv

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bridge has sometimes lost my metadata, is there an easy way in which the likes of photo descriptions can be exported into a .csv file (or similar), or alternatively to add photo descriptions from metadata to thumbnails if exporting as contact sheets as a hard-copy backup?

TOPICS
Batch , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Metadata , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such metadata is stored in the file, not in Bridge.

It's possible to extract such metadata from files.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2016/08/extracting-metadata-to-csv.html?m=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen - thanks. I've downloaded the ZIP folder, but how do I install it (it's asking what app to associate it with - presumably Bridge)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen - thanks. I've downloaded the ZIP folder, but how do I install it (it's asking what app to associate it with - presumably Bridge)?

By @eggwhiskengineer

What did you download, there were multiple links at my blogpost.

Once you have unzipped/decompressed the .zip file, if there are Bridge .jsx files, then the following may help:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Some scripts may require resources in other locations, so there may be installation instructions inside the .zip for you to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen - great, got it now, thanks. I think the only thing 'missing' for me is a box for Credit line and Source, to help me keep tabs on where I got certain photos from. Is that something easily incorporated into a change?

I'd still like to see Bridge have a functionality whereby captions (probably from the 'Description' area) can be added underneath images when creating contact sheets. That would be really useful if one of the developers is watching!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have no idea which script you are referring to from the multiple links provided.

Can you post a screenshot of the file info fields that you're wanting to include in the script? Are there any fields that you don't require in the script that could be swapped out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one in your original link: 

Adobe Bridge Script – Extract Metadata, by Paul Riggott:

https://www.ps-scripts.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=24358&sid=6529114a378b6e37ff888bf74ba105cf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one in your original link: 

Adobe Bridge Script – Extract Metadata, by Paul Riggott:

https://www.ps-scripts.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=24358&sid=6529114a378b6e37ff888bf74ba105cf

By @eggwhiskengineer

Are there any fields that you don't require in the script that could be swapped out? It's easier (for me) to change existing entries than add new ones!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably 'Label'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably 'Label'?

By @eggwhiskengineer

I can probably add the extra checkboxes and link them to the required functions (scriptUI gives me a headache)!

I'm looking at the last script from Paul from 2016:

2024-01-10_21-34-29.png

There are currently 25 possible entries... And you need 2 extra ones for IPTC Credit Line and Source. Do you really only think that Label is unnecessary? Surely you can find another that isn't required? What are the exact metadata entries required? Do you really need 26?

@Lumigraphics has a Bridge script to run ExifTool, which is a lot easier for me to code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about changing "Caption Writer" (the person who wrote the caption)? That seems like it could be changed to "Credit Line"

I can help modify the script, just confirm the fields you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Caption writer and Label are probably the two least useful options at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll work on it and post here when it's ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eggwhiskengineer Download the revised version on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h03mlxfeo21v4muwtzfhn/Extract_Metadata_eggwhiskengineer.jsx?rlkey=4lj...

Click the download button at the top:

gregreser_0-1705014329845.png

Click "continue with download only" to avoid logging in:

gregreser_1-1705014421496.png

Place this new .jsx file in your StartupScripts folder. Remove the old version to avoid conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Many thanks @gregreser and @Stephen_A_Marsh  for your help. (y)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me, not an expert in scripts (by any means!), but having downloaded the files do I upload them to Bridge Preferences Start-up Scripts the same way as the one above, and if so which particular file as there are lots in the folder. Will this allow chosen metadata to be added beneath the contact sheet thumbnails (either in addition to or in lieu of the filename)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be installation instructions in the .zip archive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the folder and all of its sub-folders and contents. It's not at all clear which file is the right one (seems to be a whole compendium of different tools) and where to put it. It's also not clear if this is for Photoshop or for Bridge (I was looking for the latter, not the former).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the Contact Sheet X (CSX-2_2.zip) again as it has been a while since I installed it. There is a README.txt file with full instructions for automated or manual installation in Photoshop and Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Installed the InstallCSX.jsx Bridge version (as per the instructions). It shows under Tools, but it requires PS to be open, and when I click on it in Bridge it swaps to PS but does nothing else. I'm on CC.

When trying it in PS, a manual install through File>Scripts>Browse generates the following:

Start

Version: v2.2

Revision: $Revision: 1.36 $

App: Adobe Photoshop

App Version: 25.3.1

Checking configuration...

Checking for Photoshop

Photoshop good!

Checking for CS2+

CS2/CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC good!

Checking for Photoshop Scripts folder: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2024/Presets/Scripts

Photoshop Scripts folder good!

Checking for Startup Scripts folder: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts CC/Adobe Photoshop

Startup Scripts folder good!

Checking for xtools preferences folder: ~/Library/Application Support/xtools

xtools preferences folder good!

Checking installation package

Error: Bad installation package, CSX Script not found

CSX Installation completed status: *** failed ***

Stop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen has an excellent resource. I also publish a script to export data from files using Bridge.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mg817g9a9ymbasi/AADTmXUVxmFfM58bcyYE7yiwa?dl=0

Install the Utility Script pack and use Folder List Export to create a text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines