• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google Drive shortcuts do not work in Mac OS

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use heavily recommend Bridge for the whole creative workflow in video or graphics, but macOS do not support double click on a shortcut created directly in Google Drive; this works perfectly on Windows, but I'm surprised Adobe hasn't noticed yet. Why?

TOPICS
Feature request , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Drive is NOT SUPPORTED in Bridge and it will fail in random ways at random times. Do not rely on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your polite answer, but, WHY it works perfectly on Windows since forever Google Drive built this architecture system of synced files via web-cloud on your hard drive? I mean, why Adobe do not develop the same architecture to make the shortcuts works as they work for Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any more detail available about what you mean by "fail in random ways"? Curious to read about attempted use cases that failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you sync folders on your computer with a cloud service, one or the other could be out of date. An application that wants to use files in a synced folder needs to be sure that the correct version is being opened. Apps which follow published APIs will tell the cloud service to sync those folders before making changes.

Since Adobe has little support for cloud services, you could easily access files that are out of sync. So version B in the cloud is newer, but you make changes to version A on the hard drive and save them, creating version C. The cloud service now syncs version C to the cloud and you lose the changes in version B.

just because something can be made to work doesn't make it technically advisable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this concern about syncing be applicable if Abode Bridge is only being used to read tagged XMP metadata of files in a cloud-synced Google Drive directory? 

My desired application is to use Adobe Bridge as a way to search & filter through a library of XMP-tagged After Effects projects. I've been doing tests using the Author & Keyword fields under the Dublin Core Schema in AE (these fields populate under the IPTC Core Schema in Bridge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ This website won't let me edit/delete posts so please ignore the other duplicate reply... ]

Would this concern about syncing be applicable if Abode Bridge is only being used to read tagged XMP metadata of files in a cloud-synced Google Drive directory? 

My desired application is to use Adobe Bridge as a way to search & filter through a library of XMP-tagged After Effects projects. I've been doing tests using the Author & Keyword fields under the Dublin Core Schema in AE (these fields populate under the IPTC Core Schema in Bridge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use at your own risk. Google Drive is NOT SUPPORTED. I recommend not risking data loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too use Bridge heavily, in one view I can see all the things I need - folder path, file preview, exif info, and optional viewing as list or grid view. It gives me a great advantage in organization and creative workflow that I need. My workaround on this is to mirror my google drive to a local external drive (yes, I dedicated a portable external drive), it then sync any updates made and I can leave my workstation syncing. But just this weekend I learned that Google Drive is just keeping 1 original folder and replaced all its mirrors as shortcuts to the original folder. With this update I can no longer access Google Drive via Bridge anymore... that and I need to re-linking all my InDesign links using the google drive new folder path which is a virtual drive (but I probably package and store locally moving forward)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird, it works perfectly for me even with InDesign and any Adobe app. The only thing I can't do is to double-click a shortcut and enter that folder, to do so, I have to copy the path from the Finder and then paste it in Bridge, so I can access the specific folder. Doing this all the time is really annoying when you're working in a collaborative way with a lot of shortcuts added into your main Drive location.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-05-31 a la(s) 10.50.12 a.m..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines