• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPS Metadata in RAW & DNG files

Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully understand how to add and edit GPS metadata either in Bridge, Lightroom or a third party application and have been doing this successfully for quite some time.

I have just bought a Canon EOS 5D Mk iv which has built in GPS and auto tags images (provided that the function is turned on.)

With RAW images which have been tagged by the camera, it seems impossible to edit and save changes to the GPS metadata in Bridge or Lightroom successfully (why would i want to is a different question but largely because it lacks accuracy some of the time.)

Edited data is recorded in the associated XMP file, but Bridge is reading the original data from the image itself, and ignoring the XMP file.

One solution is to convert the images to DNG before making edits then there is no problem with editing and saving the metadata.

Using DNG files creates one issue.  Namely that, should the original RAW file be extracted from the DNG in the future, it contains the ORIGINAL metadata and not the EDITED version.

Consequently DNG and RAW images have different GPS metadata which is potentially confusing.

I can't see a solution to this.

It's not a major issue but something perhaps to be aware of.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Hi Erik,

That's a great feedback, I request you to kindly post it on the link mentioned below so that our engineering team is made aware of it.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik,

That's a great feedback, I request you to kindly post it on the link mentioned below so that our engineering team is made aware of it.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Can you please let us know which version of Bridge you are using.

This feature is already present in Bridge CC 2017, request you to upgrade to the same.

Please let us know if you face any issues.

Regards,

Abhishek Seth

Adobe Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have another question in this context regarding GPS metadata...I occasionally take photos with my Apple iPhone 8 (unsing the Lightroom app and thus am I shooting raw files DNG) primarily to register where I took that photo - for later "remeberance" ...and then is the GPS metadata recorded for future use. 

But when I want to get the GPS coordinates, or view the location where the picture was taken, I have to "transfer" the image on my MacBookPro from Lightroom CC to import one image into Lightroom Classic (via Adobe Bridge - maybe unneccessary but thats how I do it anyway) to be able to get the GPS location in writing (or indicated on the map there). 

Since the data is already registred in the phone, is it not possible to get/view the GPS coordinates in writing either on the phone or my iPad Mini 5 easier? Without having to go the tedious way over Lightroom CC > Bridge > Lightroom Classic like I do? Not necessarily to be seen on a map, but in writing, to be able to copy and use elsewhere? If not, it would be a practical feature I think!

I have all the latest software versions in Adobe Creative Cloud Photography installed and updated, as well as MacOS Big Sur in my MBP laptop, and also the latest software updates in my iPhone 8 and iPad Mini 5.

If this already is possible much easier than I do it - sorry for my ignorance!

Regards ULBN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines