• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! /dev on Macintosh HD is crashing Bridge

Participant ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Bridge is displaying /dev under the Macintosh HD and it is causing Bridge to hang. Please add a fix so that Bridge does not see this drive. Finder doesn't show it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.53.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.53.51 AM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mikie, LI

Gotta tell ya, I've never looked but I also see the /Dev drive when looking at the Hard Drive folder. No clue about what that is beyond the fact that I do not creash or freeze or anything bad when see it or examing it. I have a hunch that something else in your system is though.

Please do two things:

1) rebuild your Bridge's Prefs:

When launching Bridge, Command-Option (Mac)/Control-Alt (Win) + Shift to choose “Reset Preferences”, Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache”, and/or Reset Standard Workspaces”.

#2) Dump all of your local caches:

Go to Tools (menu): -> Cache -> Manage Cache. 

Then select Purge all local Caches

Let us know how this works. Thanks!

2020-06-24_12-35-02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try that as well before I posted here. And during that process Bridge also got stuck and stopped responding. So I had to force quit. My version looks a little different than yours since I am on the newest version.Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.38.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.41.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I will continue to monitor the behavior, but since trying to manage cache after Bridge already started and it didn't work, I went ahead and help the Option key while starting it back up and went ahead and cleared everything through this window.Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.44.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mikey,

Actually we do have the same version, you just did the same thing via the Preferences and I went throught the Tools menu.

No issue, no problem, they do the same thing.

One quick question: Is it ONLY when you observe the /Dev does your system hang? Is there any given reason you are going into your hard drive in this way? [FWIW, since I've been using Bridge (it came out in CS2), I generally just drag the folder or an item from within the folder to Bridge in my Dock to open folders. Have you tried that?]

If this continues you might try a complete uninstall and re-install and see if that solves things. 

And again, I've never seen the /Dev EVER before, but since I have it and am not having problems, either I woke up on the right side of the bed or there's something "curious" about your instillation or system. Hopefully we can get this right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same as you.  but the /dev folder still shows up, and Bridge still seems to hang or crash when using it since this /dev folder started showing up.  Did you manage to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please only post once with an issue, don't start a new thread. /dev is one of the UNIX folders and shouldn't show if disk permissions are correct and you aren't showing hidden files/folders. Looking at it should not cause problems for Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikey  - did you ever resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! It is still there and it crashes Bridge still.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 1.58.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat. (my screen shot below)  I had the issue last summer, with my old mac.  and this is now a brand new Mac, and exact same issue. AGAIN.  so at least that means it must be a bug in the Bridge app, and not an issue with computer.  But i'd have hoped it ha been sorted in the 2023 version.  

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 16.14.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat. (my screen shot below)  I had the issue last summer, with my old mac.  and this is now a brand new Mac, and exact same issue. AGAIN.  so at least that means it must be a bug in the Bridge app, and not an issue with computer.  But i'd have hoped it ha been sorted in the 2023 version.  

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 16.14.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lumigraphics pointed out above that this is a Unix file (remember, the Mac OS is based on Unix). It is technically "wrong" for Bridge to be able to see it. If you want to learn more about this, see: https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/mac-os-x/0596003560/apas01s05.html

But does it do harm? Below is a screenshot where I've got a Dev folder selected in Bridge, and I've got one of the (> 355 (this number keeps changing, it's not a static number) 0 bytes files in a clear, selected view. Why am I not crashing? If the Dev folder was so lethal, I couldn't possibly be showing you a screenshot of it in Bridge without crashing. 

So, it MUST be something else. Maybe it's the Workspace you're using; maybe it's some other application that's always on in your menu bar on your computer; maybe if Adobe makes the Dev folder back to being invisible will clear the problem; maybe it's a font issue; I do not know.

So, something else must be going on here. Bridge didn't create this folder (the Mac OS does). Simply looking at it does not necessarily cause your system to crash. What is? I do not know, but its existence is clearly not the whole issue. Just sayin'

2023-03-18_16-59-16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  It's still. a mystery though why Bridge decides to show this one 'invisible' folder. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines