• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Hide Sidecar XMP files in Camera Raw?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop updated and now XMP files are no longer hidden. I hate these. Please help. I've followed instructions listed here, but it's not working.

My settings:

Capture.JPG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No longer hidden in Bridge or ....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the XMP files in my harddrives now. Is this maybe not something to do with Ps settings, but instead my harddrives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use RAW files, you will have XMP sidecars. hate them or not, they are not invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all files can store metadata in them. If dealing with RAW files you can't avoid XMP sidecar files. DNG files however can store the metadata inside the DNG file without the need for sidecar files, but if those sidecar files were already made, I don't think that preference if going to remove existing ones. It would only apply to future edits.

Keep in mind that Adobe Bridge does not show sidecar XMP files when viewing files.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

I have a problem to understand how the XMP files are stored when moving the RAW file. More specifically: I use Lightroom to import my RAW files. The ones that look good I move to a folder "Temp 2021" I go into Bridge and open the file in ACR and do adjustments. I open the as a Smart object in PS and after more adjustments I save it as a PSD in a permanent folder eg Garden 2021. My XMP files seem to remain in Temp 2021. Should I move the file manually? Can I have it moved automatically as I save it? Or can the RAW and the XMP files remain in different folders?

I have looked into relevant topics here but haven't found anything.

Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using Bridge in this workflow? Lightoom has all the features of Camera Raw built in, so I'd:

1. Import photos into Lightroom
  2. apply edits in Lightroom
  3. Only if there are things I can't do in Lightroom would I then open the file into Photoshop (from Lightroom).

If you're embedding a RAW file into a PSD, there will not be a sidecar file for the PSD as that's all embedded into the PSD. When editing the RAW in the PSD you making your changes but there's no sidecar file to see or manage.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt feedback!

Yes, I perfectly agree and will change my workflow

1. import raw files into Lightroom

2. do basic editing in Lightroom

3 from Lightroom I will open files as Smart object in Photoshop

In Photoshop I can always go into ACR (ACR filter) and adjust my edits done in LR.

I have certain actions in PS and the layers way of working that I still wish to benefit from. I did some quick testing and I agree - no sidecar files to manage.

Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a Smart Object for the RAW file in the PSD, you don't need to use the ACR filter. All you need to do is double-click the layer thumbnail and it will open Camera RAW so you can see the edits you made and adjust them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. How do I hide XMP files in Bridge. I don't work with them and I don't need them for my workflow. I have never wanted these files cluttering my workspace. All of a sudden, they are back. Like cockroaches, you can't get rid of them.  For 20 years I was able to hide them. Does anyone know how to conceal them? Every week, Photoshop has another update, every week something changes. Every week, you have to go back to school to relearn and readjust. Very tired of this constant changing of the guard. Waste of time and energy. Now I've spent the last hour deleting the xmps or trying to find out how to hide them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...hide XMP files in Bridge."

Uncheck the menu item- Then they will not show in the Bridge UI.

2023-04-15 14_41_35-Clipboard.jpg

Deleting XMPs is a "Waste of time and energy".  They are only small files they do not occupy much space on a hard-drive.

More importantly they contain all the editing your might do in ACR.

To 'save' editing to any raw file (except DNG), there must be a sidecar XMP file with the camera file.

My Bridge thumbnails- (No XMPs)

2023-04-15 14_47_15-Adobe Bridge 2023.jpg

As Windows File Explorer shows files- Sidecar XMPs visible.

2023-04-15 14_47_47-20141227 TEST SHOTS.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines