• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to hide sidecars in image grid

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i click on "show hidden files" it shows the "XMP" files so those as asigned as associated files.

But i can 't find a way to manual associate a filetype like developers files as filename.RAW.dop

now the sidecar is 50% of the grid.

Spike29_0-1591302465123.png

any way to avoid this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of two ways:

1) turn off invisible items in your system

2) convert your images to DNG images which are containers and will contain your sidecar files. Everything will work as before. Your raw image will be just as before, but all of your side car files will be contained within the DNG file, and they will occupy less space than your raw files did.

FWIW, I've been using the DNG format for my raw images for some 14 years and never have I looked back.

Adobe provides a DNG converter here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 invisible items: there are "off" it arn't invisible items. the are development sidecars for the rawfiles and such.

2 i don't think DNG will be the solution because the sidecars are made with development of an image. thus also with DNG.

Only way i can think of is a section where i can asign files as "xxxx.dop" is associated to xxxx.rw2 or xxxx.jpg or xxxx.tiff same as the XMP does now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spike,

As I stated, I always use DNG. But to check something on this I loaded up some CR2 (canon raw files), did some editing in ACR and looked back again in Bridge: the XMP files are not to be seen. They are understood to be sidecar files and do not show up.

At least that's what's showing up on my system.

However, I also just looked up what a .dop file is and learned that it is the xmp file for the DxO Photolab. 

I have a question: are you using DxO PhotoLab with Bridge or are you trying to move on from DxO and trying out the Adobe products? It seems that since Bridge doesn't recognize the .dop file as a sidecar file, Bridge doesn't know it is not supposed to  "not show" the file. 

Do you open these images up in Photoshop or DxO? If you open them in Photoshop, do they show the DxO corrections? If you converted one of the images (with the .dop file in the same folder) into a DNG, does the resultant DNG image show the corrections?

But to answer your original question: nope, there really isn't a way for Bridge to not show the .dop files.

Sorry, I hope I did give you some leads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

"However, I also just looked up what a .dop file is and learned that it is the xmp file for the DxO Photolab."

- Well it's more complicated, they are basicly files where all adjustments are stored even the local adjustments and clone and repair masks.

"I have a question: are you using DxO PhotoLab with Bridge  It seems that since Bridge doesn't recognize the .dop file as a sidecar file,"

- Yes i am using Bridge as a keyword/label/IPTC editor because DxOPL reads XMP and i can use the info to fit in by export in the IPTC of the jpegs but it can't write XMP-files yet. Bridge does even "call" To  open DxOPL and creates a filmstrip with the in Bridge selected files, so i can use it as a rudimantaire DAM. (an other app used older IPTC-iim which caused a error.) very nice!

"or are you trying to move on from DxO and trying out the Adobe products?"

- No i am not moving away from DxOPL it a great software for my purposes. i do have a old PSE/PRE 13 for pixel editing and some MP4 editing aldoh 4Kmovie isn't in the picture but i use it not enough for that to upgrade.

"Bridge doesn't know it is not supposed to "not show" the file. "

- No correct and i hoped that i could tell Bridge somewhere to do so in a file list.

I suppose when i move/replace files inside Bridge the XMP are going along with that but others as in .dop-file not.

"Do you open these images up in Photoshop or DxO? If you open them in Photoshop, do they show the DxO corrections? If you converted one of the images (with the .dop file in the same folder) into a DNG, does the resultant DNG image show the corrections?"

- Well workflow is:

Fast Raw Viewer: culling selection checking: creates a XMP (suited for Adobe products labels/stars/colors such) Don't use the xmp extra's except star-rating (DxOPL doesn't requocnise that.)

Then a keyword/label editor which is sins short time Bridge, (didn't needed this for a long time and used the back side (produced Jpegs to tag in PSE13 and write in there the IPTC with the push command. use a twin folder tree so same image in Jpeg and Raw is in the same folder find the jpeg then i know where the raw is.)

Now i transported the tagging to the front so i don't need  to do this twice/at the back. Hence i needed a good stable system which can handle a rudimentaire DAM-function.

sins i am just for fun playing i searched for resonable priced DAM's which are XNviewMP and  Bridge. first errored my DxOPL so Bridge it is.

Then DxOPL/NIK to finish and PSE for some things as sky replacement. (not very much i like "real" things or artistic things not "cheating")

In the short time i use Bridge i like it's simplicity and straight forward use, just versatile enough to cover my needs. (except that associated file selection thing 😞 )

I can stop using DOP and use DataBase coverage only for that but i like to have a system which isn't smashed to peaces when a Database is corrupted. now i just delete user DB's ,then rebuild by indexing to create new DB, done back on line. 🙂

"

But to answer your original question: nope, there really isn't a way for Bridge to not show the .dop files.

Sorry, I hope I did give you some leads.""

- I was already afraid this was the answer, it was going too smooth 😉

maybe it will be implemented at some time.

well don't be sorry you helped clear thing and avoid me to keep nagging in search of something what isn't there. (if you know the developers give them a hint... LOL)

By the way, most DNG are a linear Tiff based container, with a floating WB but demosiaced already. So DxOPL's DNG is a editted 16bit TiFF kind of processed file. All things as cloning/perspective brightnes/exposure/ adjustmens are "burned" into the DNG only the colorspace profiles are added to reinterpretate by the new DNG reader. Hence the colorshifting and the WB system.

XNviewMP creates a "original" container to put in iptc/exif/xmp of a raw-file which i don't tried because of offious reasons. (DNG creator will be always available to convert old Raw-files but an "converted" and abandoned algoritm will cause crashes.)

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines