• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to tell Lightroom to read metadata from PhotoMechanic and not Bridge?

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'm getting pretty desperate for a fix so I thought I'd try a forum.

I started photo 2 years ago and my workflow was a mess. My form of ingesting changed over and over and I really didn't have a system. At some point (for like 20 assignments/shoots) I used Bridge for ingesting and applying metadata (Copyright, etc). The problem is that I did this at a time where I thought I would operate under a pseudonym. 

Recently, I spent an entire week updating metadata using PhotoMechanic. I made sure every single file name had the same format, every pic had an ingest level caption and copyright under my legal name, and set 5 star ratings on all my portfolio pics. It was really satisfying. However, when I sync the folders over to Lightroom (which I use to edit), Lightroom reads the old metadata on those 20ish folders I ingested through Bridge, which includes my old pseydonym under copyright. 

Is there a way to fix this? To strip the Bridge metadata or tell Lightroom to read the PM metadata instead of the bridge one? I would really appreciate it!

TOPICS
Metadata , Problem or error , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as "PM metadata." All apps use standardized fields to store data. For example, keywords are stored in the "dc:subject: field. This will be read by any app that deals with those files.

In Lightroom, there may be an exclamation point on the file thumbnail, this means that the Lightroom cache and file are out of sync. You can synchronize a folder to update the metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your help! 
I understand what you're saying, however I used "PM metadata" and "Bridge metadata" to differenciate because there is legit two pieces of information of my XMP file somehow. When I view the same image on PhotoMechanic, Finder or even view the XMP through TextEdit, it shows my legal name as copyright and has all that information, but as soon as I open that file on Lightroom or Bridge, it'll show my old pseudonym under the copyright field. No exclamaition points show and even "read metadata from file" does not fix this. I'm finding this duality super weird as I did understand metadata to be standarazied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File->File Info in bridge and look at Raw data to see what's actually in the file metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh yeah there it is! 
Thank you. Is there a way to clear or reset that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines