• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I copy the photos to my desktop, do the labels and ratings passover too?

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am labeling some photos from my trip on my laptop. But when I get home, I want to pass all the photos on my desktop to edit them. I wanted to know: If I copy the photos to my desktop, do the labels and ratings passover too? Can I view the labels I put on my laptop on my desktop

TOPICS
How to , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, @Armando22423096h3es, there should be no problem because that data is contained in the XMP data (the sidecar files), associated with the original images. If you convert your raw files into DNG, they are contained within that. If they are JPG or TIF files, same thing — both are container files. raw files from the camera (e.g., CR2 or CR3 for Canon cameras as an example), do not contain that data as DNG files do. 

Also, be aware that the .acr files are associated with the new Camera Raw Masking. These may or may not be contained in any TIF file and are NOT contained in a JPG file, and like the xmp files, are not contained in a camera raw's file (but they are in a DNG file). 

All this is to say that as you are moving files around your laptop, be sure to sort the images by name and be sure to drag ANY file with the same name. They should be in pairs or triplets. Grab and move them all together. 

And I'm sure you know that if you wish to post any of the images on social media or send them to friends, be sure to generate a new file to send. If your friends (or social media) do not have Adobe products, they will see the file before any enhancements because they do not understand the content of the sidecar files.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines