• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign show linked files, but reversed (show all files using the image)

Participant ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way that I could see which (if any) indesign documents link to a specific image. I'm on a mac, so Ransack is not an option for me as mentioned here.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

OK, even better and simpler, a cross platform solution that uses a native Bridge feature - the Find command with the “All Metadata” criteria:

find.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, one way – here I have used the Finder’s search command to isolate .indd files in a specific location:

1.png

Next I dragged the .indd files from the search window onto TextWrangler.app or BBEdit.app and used the multi-file search command to search for a specific keyword in the open files:

2.png

Note: word spaces in the file path need to be escaped with %20 characters:

P9070 Front with Paper.tif

P9070%20Front%20with%20Paper.tif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, even better and simpler, a cross platform solution that uses a native Bridge feature - the Find command with the “All Metadata” criteria:

find.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stephen! The bridge method looks to be working well. (Just had to remember to escape the spaces)

I appreciate the help!

Hmmm, now maybe I can add an automator action to set this up as a service when right clicking the specific file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dan, you shouldn’t need to escape the spaces in the Bridge search. Forget the first method of using Finder/TextWrangler to “look under the hood” as Bridge does all that without the extra steps and possibility of damaging the .indd files by overwriting them from the text editor.

EDIT: Damn, one DOES need to escape the word spaces in the file when using Bridge, despite the Links metadata panel showing them “plain” – one still needs to use the URI formatting that is also indicated under file info raw metadata as using %20.

This is also consistent with what ExifTool reports:

[XMP-xmpMM]     IngredientsFilePath:    file:///Users/<username>/Desktop/File%20A.psd

link.png

Uniform Resource Identifier - Wikipedia

Strings of data octets within a URI are represented as characters. Permitted characters within a URI are the ASCII characters for the lowercase and uppercase letters of the modern English alphabet, the Arabic numerals, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde. Octets represented by any other character must be percent-encoded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines