• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

IPTC data Copyright and Author issue - Bridge writes metadata to xmp and not the image

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've been using Replace Metadata in the Tools menu to fill the Copyright and Author IPTC fields with my name but then I realized that:

• the fields are empty in other applications,
  • if the .xmp file is not present it's not displayed in Bridge.

Therefore what the the tool does is filling the information into the .xmp file instead of into the image metadata. What the heck is the purpose of this feature? How to fix that?

TIA

Nick

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
How to , Keywords , Metadata , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

RAW files are proprietary and typically cannot be edited once created. This is how it works for ALL software. If you want to make metadata changes, either use a sidecar file, an application database, or save to a non-RAW format.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Could you please let us know the version of Adobe Bridge you're working with?

Also, the Metadata information is stored using the Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) standard, on which Adobe Bridge, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop are built. Adjustments made to images with Photoshop Camera Raw are stored as XMP metadata. XMP is built on XML, and in most cases the metadata is stored in the file. If it isn’t possible to store the information in the file, metadata is stored in a separate file called a sidecar file. Please have a look at this article to know more about this: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/bridge/using/metadata-adobe-bridge.html

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil

Thanks for your quick reply. 🙂

My version is 6.3.1.186

I am under Mac OS 10.9.5

I have been using Photoshop Elements and ACR for several years. I understand the adjustements made with ACR may be stored in the sidecar file although at the time I chose to have them stored in the file itself. Those data are proprietary and concern the image itself.

The current issue is totally different. It's about the standard public IPTC metadata that need to be stored in the file so that they can be transfered and published with the relevant information.

If I can't use the batch tool to store Copyright and Author in the file so they can be seen by everybody it's just useless to me. Do I have to edit them manually?

Nick

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just did a test: I edited manually the Author and Copyright fields in the IPTC data and as a result:

• a new .xmp file was created
  • if I remove it the data disappear.

Therefore there is no way to edit the IPTC content within the file with Bridge, right? Data are stored separately in the sidecar, period.

Nick

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of files are these?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are mostly RAW (DNG, CR2, ARW) and also JPG, TIFF, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Which version of Camera Raw are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Photoshop Element anymore so I don't use ACR either.

Let's get back to the issue. Is it a hard policy with Adobe to store the IPTC data in the xmp file and not in the image file, in which case I'll have to look for another soft from a different vendor, or is there a way to do it the standard way?

Nick

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAW files cannot store most metadata without using a sidecar file. This is a technical limitation of RAW files, there is nothing Adobe can do about it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the International Press Telecommunications Council created a set of standard, plain text format metadata for all sorts of documents (images and media types) to be embedded in the file header for the user to store information about the file… and decided they would not be editable! Smart!

I had a Canon camera with a feature allowing to enter the Author field. It was very convenient.

OTOH, EXIF data are not supposed to be edited since they store information about the way the shot was taken, yet since it's just plain text some programs are able to make them editable. IMHO it doesn't make sense but it's just to show that any kind of plain text data is editable.

So if Adobe's softs don't edit the IPTC data in the file it's because they decided not to, not because it's impossible.

Too bad. Sigh!

Nick

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RAW files are proprietary and typically cannot be edited once created. This is how it works for ALL software. If you want to make metadata changes, either use a sidecar file, an application database, or save to a non-RAW format.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines