• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to rename multiple pages with an action or script?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

In an attempt to streamline workflow, I am trying to batch rename multiple PDF's somehow that would re-name the file based on it's page number.  I need to find a way to run an action or script that specifically re-names pages in either a sort of "Find and replace" manner, or, page #="specific". Basically, I have 51 pdf's labeled 1-51 that I want to re-name specific to that page's advertiser.

In an attempt to help clearly explain what I am asking for, lets say I have built a multi-page file for Soda advertisers, and have split it into multiple pages, and now wish for those pages to be specifically renamed without doing it manually.

So, I've created a multi-page PDF in InDeign, exported it, ran an action with (Acrobat's) Action Wizard to split the multi-page PDF into individual files.

I now have a folder full of pdf's labeled generically "filename #.pdf" (ex: Cola-Brands 1.pdf, Cola-Brands 2.pdf, Cola-Brands 3.pdf)

As each page has a unique advertiser logo, and I want to re-name each file specific to that advertiser (ex: if the Coke logo is on page 1, the Pepsi logo on page 2, Sprite logo on page 3, I want the pdf for page 1 renamed to "Coke.pdf", page 2 "Pepsi.pdf", page 3 "Sprite.pdf", etc).

Is there a way to can accomplish this?

Any help would be great- I've tried figuring it out myself, to no avail.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

fresnoc22227596, I don’t know if Bridge can work with Acrobat Pro scripts. The moderator’s would probably need to move this into the Bridge Scripting forum to see if anybody that knows Bridge Scripting (and interaction with Acrobat Pro) can answer.

That being said, I have two options for you directly in Acrobat Pro – without using Bridge.

1) Tagged PDF files and Acrobat Bookmarks are synonymous with accessibility, however they can also be useful for some print production workflows. By creating uni

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fresnoc22227596, I don’t know if Bridge can work with Acrobat Pro scripts. The moderator’s would probably need to move this into the Bridge Scripting forum to see if anybody that knows Bridge Scripting (and interaction with Acrobat Pro) can answer.

That being said, I have two options for you directly in Acrobat Pro – without using Bridge.

1) Tagged PDF files and Acrobat Bookmarks are synonymous with accessibility, however they can also be useful for some print production workflows. By creating unique bookmark names for each page or range of pages in either InDesign or Acrobat Pro, it is possible to split the PDF to separate files using the bookmark names as the document name. This is a built-in feature of Acrobat Pro and does not require a script.

Acrobat Pro and many third party options are explored in my blog post here:

Prepression: Splitting PDF Files to Variable File Names

2) Another option is to use an Acrobat Pro Script to split a file based on a text file of the required names:

Prepression: Splitting PDF File Names from a .CSV Source

If you have a text file that lists which logo or company is on which page, that would be a good start point, otherwise you would need to build the list manually. There are scripts that can build a list of linked graphics or you could even use the links panel to copy info for the selected graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to be of help! Thank you for marking the topic as answered, this will help other people find the correct answer in the future. Which method did you go with? I am presuming that you manually created the bookmarks in InDesign, then exported the PDF with bookmarks and then split to bookmarks in Acrobat Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines