• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to search for files in specific folders?

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have a drive with about 1TB of photos on it. Every photo is in it's own folder and the folder is labelled by event (Think a folder for X&X's Wedding, M's Birthday, X&Y's Wedding, etc.). I'm working on keywording them which at 1TB of stuff, is tedious. However, if I could search by FOLDER and find anything with the word Wedding, I could batch keyword all the stuff for Weddings. 

I can't seem to find anything online on how to do this though and the search capabilities makes me think this isn't possible.

TOPICS
Batch , How to , Keywords , Metadata , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Sure you can:

Edit menu > Find

Many people don't know of this feature, they only know of the search field in the upper right of the main window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac or PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a PC running Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry. If you were Mac I had a 3rd party option. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you can:

Edit menu > Find

Many people don't know of this feature, they only know of the search field in the upper right of the main window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Ctrl + F but there isn’t a drop down option for folder name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right here:

2021-01-30_11-20-09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't help when there are multiple folders though. I have a folder for 2021 then in that folder I have sub folders for work and in those sub folders are more folders. It's organized a specific way for work but it also means that in each third tier sub folder I could have multiple files for wedding and there is no way to just search for the folders in 2021 and keyword all the files in those folders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look lower, sorry I didn't circle this before

2021-01-30_11-20-09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files have to be named for that to pull them. If it's just img_ then searching wedding won't pull them though, right?

if I'm searching in windows I'd used a syntax like kind:folder AND filename:*wedding and it would pull all the folders and I could open the folders and batch change info but for bridge I can't seem to find a way for it to search for folders of a certain word so I can batch keyword everything in them. It just does a blanket search for file names. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take the time to look this over. There are multiple ways to search that include boolean approaches. Please note that you can have multiple search criteria.

2021-01-30_12-42-59.png

2021-01-30_12-44-19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bridge Find searches a nominated top level folder, with an option to recurse into subfolders. As mentioned there are multiple search criteria.

Once files and folders are returned, you can additionally use the view menu to include/exclude the view of folders and to show items from subfolders. Then there is the filter panel to include/exclude by various file properties.

There is a lot of power and flexibility in the Find command or smart collections. It is not always obvious how to achieve a given result, however, it is often possible to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines