• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lacking access in Bridge to key metadata field values embedded in MP4 video: field mapping problem?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is somewhat related to Importing exif data to Bridge issue, but different enough, I think, to warrant a separate thread.

I'm new to Bridge and have limited experience with media file metadata.  That said, if Bridge supports display of particular, standard metadata fields in the Metadata panel, and I can verify via exiftool that my media file has (accurate) values for conceptually equivalent fields automatically populated (by my camera), I'd like to see the values displayed for those (conceptually) matching fields within Bridge's Metadata panel when I've selected that media file.

In the case of a particular video clip saved to removable storage as an MP4 file by my (Sony) digital camera, exiftool lists values for several information types of interest to me, but Bridge does not list any values for the fields that (appear to) conceptually match those types.  Examples of such field pairs include...

• [Bridge-Exif: "Make"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Device manufacturer"]
  • [Bridge-Exif: "Model"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Device Model name"]
  • [Bridge-Exif: "Body Serial Number"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Device Serial No"]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Channels"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Audio Channels", "Audio Format Num of Channel"]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Sample Rate"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool:"Audio Sample Rate"]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Audio sample type"] ⇦ ~ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Audio bits per sample"]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Duration"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Duration"]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Frame Rate"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Video Frame Rate"]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Frame Width"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Source Image Width", "Video Size" (first integer component)]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Frame Height"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Source Image Height", "Video Size" (second integer component)]
  • [Bridge-Audio: "Pixel Aspect Ratio"] ⇦ :white_question_mark: [exiftool: "Pixel Aspect Ratio"]

There are other types of metadata that exiftool reveals which the camera automatically populated in the MP4 file, but for which I see no available equivalent metadata field in Bridge.  Some of these (e.g., overall bitrate) can be calculated/inferred from values for fields that Bridge provides access to; others (e.g., codecs) cannot.  There are also types of information (e.g., lens information for the fixed, integrated zoom lens of my camera) that Bridge supports in metadata fields, but which neither exiftool nor Bridge reports values for in the MP4 file I'm working with.

With regard to the metadata fields displayed in Bridge where exiftools displays values for conceptually-equivalent fields but Bridge reports no such data...How can this issue be resolved? Is the problem that Bridge cannot understand these conceptual equivalencies, perhaps due to less-than-rigorous syntax matching? Would export-import be required to transfer data into Bridge's conceptually-equivalent fields? Are their safe and reliable tools (e.g., plugins) that can ease such a process, e.g., those discussed in Importing exif data to Bridge issue, or others that are (or can readily be made) more automated? Can Bridge's recognition of embedded media file metadata compatible with its supported metadata fields be made more robust in future versions without unduly risking false equivalencies? Alternatively, can more of Bridge's supported metadata fields be made individually editable within the UI?

Any insight/assistance on this would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Scripting can be used to read metadata values from a file and display them in a custom panel or window in Bridge. I have some scripts that do a bit of this, check out my Video Info script for a sample.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mg817g9a9ymbasi/AADTmXUVxmFfM58bcyYE7yiwa?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines