• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Scanning Project Question

New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a client who has about 375,000 pages to scan. They just want to be able to search them by about 6 words. The words are pretty unique, like people's names & DOB etc., so they're not really "keywords". I'm wondering if they just put these words in one meta description field do you think that will work? Would all this go in a cache, that I believe has 100MB limit?

So to search they would say "metadata contains xx" and "metadata contains yy"... Do you think the search time would be acceptable?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Good luck with that. They will spend more on equipment than it will cost to contract the job out.

And if they don't use OCR, how will they pull details from the documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this going to be scanning to pdf and then running OCR on the scans?

This is a LARGE project, they might want to look into farming it out to a document processing company. They would need a bulk scanner and lots of storage for that many pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it will scan to PDF but not OCR.

They don't want to farm it out, they want to hire cheap labor to scan it in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with that. They will spend more on equipment than it will cost to contract the job out.

And if they don't use OCR, how will they pull details from the documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They would do a "find" to find the document, then open the document to see the information.

I'll see about getting a quote. They already have a big scanner and computer. I didn't think it would wear out a scanner...

==> Assuming they could get everything scanned in, does anyone have any idea about the speed of searching that many documents by using keywords in a description metadata field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help Lumigraphics!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines