• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost folder while working in bridge

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was selecting a file in Bridge when my elbow slipped and I may have swiped the folder left. The folder has now disappeared from the entire system. It contained 232 photos. I had created the folder a short while before in the process of doing some "house keeping" in Bridge so it had not been backed up yet. It had been put into Lightroom CC but the folder now shows a ? mark and is unable to find the location of the folder. Any ideas on where it might be hiding?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Hi John,

there are two stories here: Bridge and Lightroom Classic. I'll start with Bridge. 

it is impossible for Bridge to make your files disappear. The files are SOMEWHERE on your computer. I suggest you search by date or something, anything to find the files on your computer. 

FWIW, I think we've all did an "oops" while moving something and the hand jiggles at the wrong time and you inadvertently let them fall into another folder. BUT THEY ARE NOT GONE!!

Now, LRC: LRC is a database and it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

there are two stories here: Bridge and Lightroom Classic. I'll start with Bridge. 

it is impossible for Bridge to make your files disappear. The files are SOMEWHERE on your computer. I suggest you search by date or something, anything to find the files on your computer. 

FWIW, I think we've all did an "oops" while moving something and the hand jiggles at the wrong time and you inadvertently let them fall into another folder. BUT THEY ARE NOT GONE!!

Now, LRC: LRC is a database and it works by knowing where everything is. It doesn't make a difference where things are as long as LRC knows that location. If you move things in the Finder/Explorer than LRC doesn't know about that move and you get that exclamation symbol. Once you find the files and re-link them, you'll be good again. But this also means that your original action of moving the files outside of LRC was gout to cause the same end result. 

do a google search for "how to find missing images in LRC, you'll find a lot of answers because this is a common issue that people have until they stop moving files that are part of LRC while in the Finder/Explorer. 

I hope this makes sense, good luck finding your files, they're somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. It did make sense. When this happened last night
none of the "normal" means of recovery or searching for files and folders
was finding anything at all. That included Lightroom which when I tried to
redirect it was as mystified as I was. I was really getting frustrated and
I reached out. As a point of interest I tried creating a new folder in the
same main folder named "Test Folder, for tracking" when I swiped it left it
appeared Recycle Bin immediately, a behavior in Windows that I was unaware
of. (There are so many of these "learning experiences") waiting to happen.

After reading your response I thought that you were exactly right and
started a hand search of all of the folders around the one that had
disappeared and found it as a sub folder of a sub folder a few folders
away. I do like your idea of Googling "how to find missing images in LRC"
as that has occasionally driven us all crazy and will try it later
this morning. I find LR so kludgy when it comes to moving files around that
I frequently move things outside of LR and then resync the drive. It
occasionally bights me but usually seems less frustrating.

Thanks again for your quick response and your hints that got me back on
track.

Best,

John

--
John Cornell
john.squarepeg@gmail.com
http://www.cornellphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I'm glad I was able to help. If I can impose upon you to please tap my response with "Correct Answer" it will also help others who have the same issues.

I'm not fully sure why you are using Bridge on LRC's folders. As you've found out, it has it's "issues." FWIW, I find working in LRC's folder system fairly easy. I've taken a screenshot of a portion of my Folder structure to give you an idea of how I've laid it out. I do both a tight folder structure AND keywording. It's important for me to have both. 

There are some folks in these forums who are adamant that they dump all images into one or several folders and rely upon keywords to find everything. I do not work that way because that's not the way my brain is comfortable. Obviously, the way I work is not comfortable for their brain. My point is you need to find a structure that works for you. But going into Bridge to do LRCs duties is not a good way to do it as you have just demonstrated.

One of the things I often do is if I have a folder of MANY images and wish to break it down into unified components, I go into the Library menu (in Library mode) and turn Off, "Show Folders in Subfolders." When you do that as you remove images from the main folder, the total number of images see in the main folder goes down AND what's more important: you do not see them. Put another way, let's say you have images that are about to be placed in sub-folders with categories AAAABBBBBBCCCCCC, etc. Once you move the A images into the A folder, all you see in the main folder is BBBBBBCCCCCC, etc. If you turn that "Show Folders…" back on, you'd see all of the images. 

For me, one of the big reasons for Keywording is that you will have subjects that appear in different folders and this is how to unite them. For example, let's say you have a Aunt on your father's side, Auntie Gravelda. And you have photos of your father's side in a folder. But then you have a family get together, also with Auntie Gravelda. Now, later, you want to find ALL photos of Auntie Gravelda. With Keywording this is a snap. By folder's only, it's a pain. 

Lastly, notice that when you right-click on a folder, there's an option to "Create Folder inside Folder XYZ." When you open that window (that also lets you name the folder), there's a checkbox to add all selected images. Be sure to uncheck that if you do not want that. Plus, you can also drag folders around in the Folder Panel as well. 

Hope all this makes sense. Here's a portion of my folders:

2021-08-31_12-45-39.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to have an open mind when it comes to certain file handling chores in LR. I keep folders by location and extensively keyword. I do a fair amount of keywording on my laptop when I am in the field. Since it is not going to reside on the laptop for long and I don't need to catalog any of it I use a relatively simple and quick program called Photo Mechanic to do rough edits and initial keywording. I amke back up copies of the data and when I get home upload it onto my desk top into LR. It arrives with much of the keywording in place and sometimes even a caption. I shoot primarily wildlife (mostly birds) so location and species works well with this system. 

I think after last evening that I've let my system for managing my web images has (because of a lack or long range planning) get a bit complicated, with too much busy work. It is what I was working on last night when my clumsiness caused the folder to wander into the hinterlands. lol

My goal is to clean up and streamline that process next month. You have inspired me to see if I can make LR work harder for me rather than me for it. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have too much time but what I do when traveling is to make a new LRC catalog on my wife's laptop and start ingesting and doing what's necessary on the images. Once I'm done for the night, I copy EVERYTHING to an external hard drive. Once the images and everyting else is backed up. I then can reformat my image cards.

When I get hope I import the entire catalog and images into my primary catalog and image folder. This process has worked VERY well for me.

Sorry, gotta go (dinner)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do the same thing actually, minus the wife's laptop and LR but I do back
it all up to an external and it has at least had all of the Ooop's edited
out and is keyworded. On my next trip with a new laptop with a small hard
drive I am going to use to ssd's and use one as the working drive and the
second as the backup. I have been experimenting with the system here at
home and it works really well and the drives are very fast. I too reformat
my cards when the backup process is complete. I do the same when I get home
except that they just get imported straight into LR and become part of the
catalog.

My old laptop didn't have enough screen resolution to make critical
decisions but this new one may be up to the task. Sounds as if our workflow
is not too terribly different. ( Great minds...................) LOL

--
John Cornell
john.squarepeg@gmail.com
http://www.cornellphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true.Bridge CC 2018 get same issue, holy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The same thing with me, a folder is gone that is no longer findable with a spotlight search and is also not in the trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines