Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata searches across server

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to find a workaround here.

We're transitioning from FCP7 in a mac environment to Adobe CC in a windows environment.

While we often work on very specific projects, we also accumulate a library of stock footage across several more projects that we save just in case we may later need them.

In FCP our typical workflow was to do batch ingests... then to relabel with all the pertinent information within the project and then select file to match clip name. Then if we needed something later we could just do a regular file search to find what we needed.

After some research, I realize that this doesn't work the same in premiere, and I can't rename the clips the way we used to.

My thought then was to do a batch ingest using prelude, import the footage into my premiere project then use the metalogging function to add key words in the metadata that I could later search for if the need arises. Obviously windows search function wont search metadata (at least as far as I can tell)... and so after some research I stumbled on bridge... but now I'm stuck.

I ingested and imported video into premiere and added some terms into the metadata fields to see if i could search for them. I made sure the little chain link icons were turned on (I believe that ties them to the xmb file, please correct me if I'm wrong) then saved the project and closed it. I then went to bridge selected find under the edit tab. I selected a folder on the server then set the criteria to all metadata, contains, and my search term and got no results. What am I doing wrong and can it even be used for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Thanks, the screenshot looks OK, all metadata or keywords should find a result with the indicated options.

Open the XMP sidecar with a text editor and search for the keyword to see if it is actually there.

Most video file formats are limited when it comes to metadata storage.

Also keep in mind that Bridge has many limitations and does not always handle vector and other non still image file formats gracefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see several questions:

one: is the metadata from premiere readable in Bridge?

two: Can one search for metadata in Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metadata in Premiere pro: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/metadata.html

Found this re: metadata not showing in PP :http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:Does_Bridge_metadata_show_up_in_Premiere_Pro%3F

Found this about Prelude:https://helpx.adobe.com/prelude/using/prelude-logging-video.html

Hope this opens some paths. the XMP file should be readable in Bridge, as a sidecar file, the issue is that you need to know if you apply metadata to clips, or sequences, if my cursory reading is right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links. I've gone into premiere and added a single term in a number of the metadata fields (it appears metadata saves automatically. Then I've hopped over to bridge and using the find function using all metadata for my criteria entered that word and bridge says it has no items to display. It appears everything is saving to the xmp file... so if bridge can search metadata, I can't fathom why this isn't working. Back to your first response... I'm just trying to figure out how to search for metadata i enter in premiere using bridge. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your find options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all I'm using... the file lives below that look in option... and turnip is the word i saved throughout the metadata in premiere under the xmb section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody have any thoughts on this? If I'm able to add data to the xmp file using premiere.... can i then later search for that footage on my server using Bridge? If so, am I missing a step that would make this possible? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the screenshot looks OK, all metadata or keywords should find a result with the indicated options.

Open the XMP sidecar with a text editor and search for the keyword to see if it is actually there.

Most video file formats are limited when it comes to metadata storage.

Also keep in mind that Bridge has many limitations and does not always handle vector and other non still image file formats gracefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen, I'll take a look. Does adobe have a better option in CC for what I'm looking to do than Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
any news about your issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines