• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing camera star ratings.

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone. I have a little problem. I have started using Adobe Bridge for my day to day work cause I can edit faster than Lightroom and send out good edited photos fast as I work in the sports photography field. The software is great but I have noticed that it's patchy. I have a Canon 5D mark III and I usually add a star rating to my good images at any point of the game when there is any small breaks so I cut down on "editing/picking the images" time. The big problem is that in 90% of my shoots the software misses about 5-10 images that has a star on the photo. I put the sd card back in the camera and the star is there but when I plug it back in the computer some photos just doesn't have them and this whole workflow is busted because I lose shots. Is there a fix for this? I might try with a sd card reader if the same thing happens.

TOPICS
Metadata , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shiftedcube,

Can I assume that you are placing stars in the Photo Downloader software that's intigrated with Bridge? Also, can I assume that you are using Catalina on a Mac?

Even if I'm wrong in both cases, generally it's not a great idea to depend upon Photo Downloader for much of anything beyond letting you ingest your images (and convert to DNG images as I do). What I do recommend that you do is to just get the images into your computer and start the "keep & toss" at that point.

I know this is not the answer you wanted but Adobe has given no love to Photo Downloader in many many years and it's not realistic that they will do so soon.

If I'm wrong in my guesses as to your workflow, please fill in more details and maybe I can provide some extra suggestions.

Let me know,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually both of those assumptions are wrong.  I am on windows and I mark my photos with stars in camera. Then I place my sd card in my computer and just filter by date created and ratings. I have been trying to press F5 to refresh it but nothing really adds up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Boy when I'm wrong, I'm wrong! [In my defence there have been so many problems on Catalina that it's become my knee-jerk reaction.]

So what do you use to transfer the images from the card to your computer?

Since I never mark my photos in my camera (Canon 7Dm2) I would not know where in the metadata to look for to see if anything is missing or not. I do know that any markings done in the Mac OS are ignored in Bridge and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the file in Bridge and open the File Info window. Look in Raw Data for this line:

<xmp:Rating>5</xmp:Rating>

If that isn't present, Bridge won't see the rating. RAW files cann't be marked with ratings, only JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a contradiction, if the information is in the XML, bridge should be able to read it. Thats why its there in the first place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ml,

As Lumigraphics stated, if the file is a raw file, you can't save data TO raw files (that's why there are XML (sidecar files) to contain that data). IF the camera generates DNG images, that it can because the DNG format is a container file and can contain the XML files. 

Lastly, if Bridge was programmed to look in one area to seek ratings, but the camera put them in another area, it would not find them. (If you're looking for your house keys in the living room but you left them in the kitchen, you will not find them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
Could you share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • System configuration
  • Is the issue specific to particular files/format?

Please share the sample file/files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines