• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to add sentences to Description metadata without deleting current description

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello! I am doing some work where I am going through a large archive and updating/editing the metadata. I've figured out how to do many of the things I need to quickly, but I can't solve my problem with editing the description metadata. Many of the photo files already have a description in them, which I would like to keep, but I need to add a sentence or two after the description that is already there (it might be a folder with 30 files, each with a different description that describes something specific about the photo, and I want to add the same sentences to all 30 files' descriptions without deleting the original, unique description in each file). It would save me a lot of time since right now I have to just click on each file separately and paste the extra sentences in manually. I thought the 'append metadata' feature was going to help, but it doesn't seem to work? When I create a template (with just the sentences I want to add in the description) and then select the files and 'append metadata', nothing happens. 

Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck entering this stuff manually? thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to write a script that would read the description, add to it, then write the data back out to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem to me too that's what the "append" command should do. I would also like to add to descriptions by creating a template with additional description then appending to the description field. It's been working that way for adding keywords but not description.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Append won't replace what is there, only add data to empty namespaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you. I don't want to replace what is there, I want to add to (aka append) the current description but that only appears to work in the keyword field as I have been able to successfully add additional keywords to those that are already in that field. Can't seem to add to the description field this way though. Wondering whether anyone had experienced this or had a solution (ideally that doesn't involve writing or adding script). Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some XMP fields can have data appended but most can't. You can't do this without reading what is there and adding to it, which will require scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines