• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo Downloader crashes on Mac OS Bug Sur

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Bridge on an iMac (OS Mojave) and a MacBookAir (Intel; OS Big Sur). Photo Downloader has ceased to work at all on the Air/BigSur. Sometimes it crashes after simply clicking on Get Photos from Camera; sometimes, I can select images but it then crashes.

This has been going on for weeks: I have to import images more simply, which means I then have to append metadata by manual command via Bridge, which is time-consuming. I know there have been other problems with Downloader, and for £9 per month I think we need better service than this, if only an apology.

Every now and again, Adobe ask us what feature we would like to see incorporated in Bridge. How about a Photo Downloader that works.

I have attached the Report, and I would be most grateful for any help. Many thanks!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Bridge in production and frankly advise people to skip the Photo Downloader and just use the Finder. My system has templates and scripts to add metadata and it works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks: a useful but disappointing answer! I don't have the knowledge to write scripts but I may search the internet for one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just setup metadata templates and apply those in bulk.

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/metadata-adobe-bridge.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nevwg,
Thanks for your feedback.
Could you please share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • Camera model and details
  • Is it crashing with card reader as well?

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Bridge 12.0.2.252 under Mac OS Bir Sur.

I don't connect cameras - it's the card reader (SD into an SD to usb-c adaptor).

I also have v 11.1.3.200 under Mac OS Mojave, on which the Photo Downloader runs OK.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now updated to OS Monterey 12.5

Photo Downloader crashes as soon as it's opened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the crash report? Does this happen if you boot in Safe Mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried booting Safe, but no matter when I start pressing the Shift key it boots normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now upgraded my iMac to OS Monterey, and the Photo Downloader no longer works on the iMac. I have not tried Safe Mode: the problem is with Photo Downloader, not with either of my computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ni Nevwg,

For the Safe Booting, do you have a wired or Bluetooth keyboard. I know I have to use a wired keyboard to get into safe mode.

The problem with blaming PD is it negates all of the folks such as myself and many others where it works just fine. I'm not saying you do not have a problem, and I'm not saying that PD is not working on your system; I'm just saying that there is something else that you need to be looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I see what you mean. The first response above was from someone who said they had given up on PD, and no one has responded to say that PD does work with Big Sur or Monterey, so I assumed that the problem was with Adobe rather than Macs. I will certainly try a wired keyboard with my iMac tomorrow. But what about the laptop? That's an integral keyboard, so I don't know why I can't get into safe mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you didn't mention the laptop. Yes, that is NOT a Bluetooth device :>)

I'll admit that I've had problems as well; getting the timing is a bit sensitive. I've seen where you should press AS the chime starts, some state DURING the chime. When repairing the preferences with Bridge, I've found pressing the Shift-Option-Command keys BEFORE starting Bridge gives me the best results

So, getting into Safe mode and other "start" issues is just like comedy; you have to practice to get your timing down. And I agree, it should be easier.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't get the laptop into safe mode. I did get the iMac into safe mode, but the SD card wouldn't mount, so I couldn't test PD. I've wasted enough time on this. Unless Adobe come up with some solution, I shall import my images another way. Thanks for your interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nevwg,

You've mentioned your OS version but have not mentioned your processor: Intel or Silicon?

I've recently needed to start up in Safe Mode (new Studio Mac, so first time) and discovered that there is a trick to getting into Safe Mode on Silicon which is different from Intel Macs.

This video shows it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36bfBfSt4CY

If you have an Intel Mac, here's the process again (if you need it)

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - I did say in my original post (the iMac was on Mojave, which Silicon doesn't support; the AirBook is Intel). I did manage to get my iMac into Safe Mode, but I still haven't managed to so so with the AirBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines