• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Photo Downloader Does Not Delete all checked Photos off Camera.

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Bridge's Photo Downloader for moving my photos from my digital cameras ( 2 ) to my Mac (Catalina). After the photos from either camera have been downloaded successfully it asks me if I want to remove the photos from the camera, I always reply yes and then it says all photos have been deleted but when I check the camera's none of the photos have been deleted. It always does this on either camera and never deletes any of the photos. The only exception to this is if I do not try to download and delete all the photos at once on the camera and choose any qty less than the total amount of pictures on the camera. It will always download and delete any qty less than all of the photos taken but never all of them at once.

It has always done this since I started using Bridge for downloading photos from my cameras.

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi R-Photoshop,

FWIW, I strongly think that the option to Erase/Remove/Format the photos from your card via the Photo Downloader is a very very bad idea. I have several reasons for this:

1) something goes wrong in the original transfer but you do not learn about it until after you've removed the card's images via this (WRONG) capability in the Photo Downloader. Your photos are gone but maybe retrieveable via some recovery software but which would you reather be working on, the files or recovering the files? [Side note: After a day of shooting I load up the images onto my computer via a card reader. I may work on the images to some degree but before I do anything with the card I back up the files onto a 2nd drive and then, once that's done, I then feel it's OK to reformat the card (in the camera).]

2) You might be aware that Mac users can take a USB drive from a PC and use it on a Mac but the other way around will not work. PC users cannot access files on a USB drive that's been formatted for the Mac. When you Remove/Erase/Format a card on your computer, are you sure that it will be compatible in you camera. I have heard reliable reports that cards formatted on a computer can't even be seen by a camera.

Not sure if either of these might make you rethink your workflow but I thought I'd give it a shot.  FWIW, I've been shooting digital for at least 15 years and never have reformatted a card via my computer. 

Meanwhile, good luck with your issue!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines