• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Proble opening a jpeg/raw image copy ("open copy") into Photoshop 2020 from Adobe Bridge 2020.

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, eveyone! Having an issue with Bridge that hopefully someone has a solution for. Using an iMac, and in Adobe Bridge 2020, I can't seem to open a Jpeg or RAW file from Bridge's "Open in Camera Raw" screen. Normally, I'd hold the option key down in order to "open copy" of said files directly into photoshop, but getting a notice stating a "disc error" that's preventing these files from being opened in PS. It has to be something simple, some preference, but don't know what that is. Any ideas or solutions?Thanks for the help!!

best,

ben

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Hi Benjamin,

Hey, ya didn't tell me that!!

First off, congrats knowing that you do not want to jpg a jpg. That's the first step in proper photography-enhancement.

And no, I've not done that becuase there are other/better ways to do that.

When I open a jpg image that I want to enhance, the first thing I do (after making the 1st alternation) is to save the image as a TIF or PSD. The reason for this is that these two formats are non-destructive as opposed to the "lossy" format of jpg. Plus,

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjimin,

A couple of things: one, to do a right-click to open a jpg into ACR, you need to press the Control key, not the Option key. Also, to open a raw image, just double-click on the file, no other key is necessary. For non-raw image formats (both JPG and TIF) you can also press a button in the tool bar, it looks like this:

2020-09-08_12-16-24.png

Also, if you want, you can set the Preferences in Adobe Camera Raw Preferences so that they automatically open either JPG or TIF iamges open in ACR (the middle option gives you more control though).

2020-09-08_12-20-55.png

Let us know if any of these help you through your issue

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! My concern in directly opening a file from
bridge via double-click is that it’ll change the original image integrity
forevermore if I’ve used any editing sliders first on bridge’s “open in
camera raw” screen. That’s why holding the option key down to convert
bottom right corner buttons to “open copy” as opposed to “open” was
important—so I didn’t permanently change the original file from the SD
card. This has always worked, but the updated bridge application doesn’t
seem to allow me to use this method and can’t figure out why. I get the
“disc error” message from PS when file is “bridged/sent” to PS using this
method.

Have you ever tried this between bridge and PS? Any ideas? The main thing
is that I don’t want change the original file if I’ve done some editing in
bridge first before file is sent to PS. Thanks for the help!!
Best,
Ben L

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Benjamin,

Hey, ya didn't tell me that!!

First off, congrats knowing that you do not want to jpg a jpg. That's the first step in proper photography-enhancement.

And no, I've not done that becuase there are other/better ways to do that.

When I open a jpg image that I want to enhance, the first thing I do (after making the 1st alternation) is to save the image as a TIF or PSD. The reason for this is that these two formats are non-destructive as opposed to the "lossy" format of jpg. Plus, there are gobs and gobs of ways to work with a tif or psd photo for many hours, days, or years and never change a single pixels by working non-destructively on the image.

One side point: let's say after making a bunch of changes on an image I want to send someone the image. At taht point I will re-save the image into a jpg solely for the purpose of sending it to someone else. The fixes are in and I might as well send a 500 kb image as opposed to (say) a 3 MG image.

I also only take raw images. You cannon "change" a raw image, only how it's interpreted. That means that I can open a raw image and work on it to make something completely different and if I don't like it I can close the image, make a right-click on the image in Bridge and select the following:

2020-09-09_09-27-19.png

All that I'm doing here is to remove the "instructions" as to how that image is to be observed.

Again, you cannot change a raw image.

Now, here's an extra tip: if you open a jpg image in ACR, make a bunch of changes, close ACR, if you look at the image in Bridge you'll see the edit symbol on the upper right corner. That means there have been edits on this jpg image. Now, if you right click on the this image, you'll see the same option for Develop Settings with Clear Settings. Select that and the jpg will go back to where it was before you did anything.

There are some important ramifications to this: if you take a jpg image and do some alterations in ACR and email that to someone WHO DOES NOT HAVE ACR, when they open that jpg, they will see the original image before alterations. Why? Because they do not have the tool (ACR) to unlock the alterations that you made.

One last point: normally when you open a jpg up in PS and make some alterations, when you save those changes, they are baked into the image causing a re-save of a jpg (not a good thing as you know). But when you do those changes in ACR, where are the changes? They are "contained" in the jpg image. If you do a before and after of making changes in a jpg in ACR you will see that the size goes up. Delete those changes, and the size goes back down.

In the world of raw images, Adobe has created a new image format, DNG (Digital Negative). A normal raw image (e.g., CR2 from Canon cameras) are not containers. When you make changes in ACR, the changes are saved in XMP format files called "sidecar" files. These only work if they are in the same folder as the original files. If you move the orignal file to another folder without the sidecar, all of the changes will not be there. One does not need to convert their raw files to DNG format and many do not. I have always converted my raw images to the DNG format for many reasons, losing the sidecar file is a big one for me.

I know this is a lot more than a simple answer but I did want to give you the full rundown on what you were doing was for a good cause, but there are better ways to do the same thing.

I hope this makes sense, if you have any more questions, just ask.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines