• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Thumbnail generation on M1 Mac.

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to a new Mac M1 mini running Big Sur It had 8 gigs of ram. It CRANKED out the thumbnails, for maybe a month. no idea really. Then it started chugging. I figured it was having issues with paging or ram, so I upgraded to a 16 Mac M1 Mini. Takes forever still.

I'm astonished how blazing fast it was for those first few weeks. Why would it suddenly get crappy especially if I upgraded the memory?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I'd like to add I open up a folder with 12 icons. it is taking I would say 10 seconds to generate one thumbnail. This is UTTERLY worthless. 

I could highlight the photo in the finder, and hit the space bar to get a preview, then use my arrow cursor to go down through my files to preview super fast.

I've purged my media caches using the app and manually. Use Grand Perspective to view your disk and get a map, locate your media cache files. It's usually a whole crapton of them, then you delete the whole folder. It's in your library.

When did Bridge become so unusable? Is this just me?  It was NEVER like this. It's gotta be a Rosetta issue or something right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Donovan Rittenbach 

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to hear about the issue.

Could you please share the following details about the issue:

- Bridge Version in use.

- System configuration 

- Is this happening for particular files/formats? 

- Preview settings in use

Please share the sample files at sharewithbr@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Bridge Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Bridge 2021.  I am running Big Sur on an imac mini, the new M1 chipset.  It's happening for jpgs...no particular file format.

Not sure what you mean by preview settings. They're default as far as I know.

I have submitted sample images.  They are just screenshots taken with the MacOS utility. Any JPG seems to have an issue.

The time to generate a preview is easily 3s-30s. I'll sit there waiting for them to generate and it just takes forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Donovan, I think we should split the discussion as you are running an M1 mac, and for the moment, it is running in Rosetta emulation, if I'm not mistaken, therefore, a performance hit has to be expected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was weird because it was so damn responsive for like the first couple of days at least. Like instant thumbnail generation. Then back to turtleville.  Alright let me know how to proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issues. When can we expect an improvement? It makes my M1 mac pretty useless for work now...

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same issues - had to switch applications to XnViewMP as Bridge performs like a chocolate tea pot. Adobe really need to get this sorted. Apple Silicon Chips are the way forward and Adobe still running all apps in Rosetta (intel focused) Disapointed in Adobe - its not as though the M1 just came out!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1ronm4n,

Your correct! Other than Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom Desktop, Illustrator, InDesign, Character Animator, Media Encoder, Premiere Pro, XD, none of Adobe's applications are M1 native.

But be aware that not all plugins are M1 native. So if you want to use any of the Intel-based plugins in any of the afore mentioned M1-ready applications, you do have to run them in Rosetta 2 until they also are M1 native. 

Best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so PAINFUL. I open my macbook 2015 laptop's Bridge and Bam!  Thumbnails done.

I open Bridge 2020,2021 or 2022 and after a minute hardly any of the thumbs are done.  This speed issue is more than just emulation.   If it was purely an emulation issue it would take five minutes for Bridge to open.  

I have resorted to literally going into my finder, using my space bar and moving through my folder using my up and down arrow, and assigning labels that way.  

Adobe has had a year to fix this. I pay good money for CC to keep up to date. This is sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a problem with ECI Colorspace in the pictures. SRGB works fine for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Please try updating to ACR 14.3 release, that should fix the issue.

Let us know if you still face the same.

Thanks,

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in addition to the ACR fix, I suggest users like @Donovan Rittenbach   @1R0NM4N  or @Karlijn Karthaus  to try the latest BETA version of  Bridge that offers native Apple Silicon support: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/an-update-for-the-adobe-bridge-beta-is-now-availab...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Bridge 13.0.1 offers native M1 suppport, you should upgrade to that version, but be informed that while it supports a modern UI with multiple content tabs, it has for the moment lost the multiple windows feature. It might be wise to keep a copy of V12 if you need that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines