Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Thumbnails for very large PSBs

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having an issue where large PSBs (up to 10 GB are not) generating thumbnails

I have done all the following 

1. increased max thumbnail size in preferences (have gone up to 50000mb no luck)
  2. cleared cache
  3. deleted cache folders
  4. uninstalled / reinstalled bridge
  5. turned off compression for psbs

I'm running the current build of bridge and photoshop. Not sure if this is a new problem as I don't typically work with files that are quite this large, but it is necessary for this project

None of these steps have worked. any other ideas? are these files just too large?

TOPICS
Bug , Metadata , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some digging, it seems that the culprit is unrastered smart objects; in several files that were not loading thumbnails there were a relatively large number of composite layers placed into photoshop using bridge, which brings them in as smart objects. Rasterising these smart objects seems to allow bridge to load the thumbnail. Not an ideal workflow, a fix would be appreciated

EDIT: Actually it turns out this solution does not work in all cases. I've been forced to switch to Photo Mechanic to browse large files as Bridge is essentially unusable without thumbnails. Would really appreciate a fix, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I opened the psb of about 9000x9000px 16bit of about 2GB, converted the smart layers with smart filters to plain bitamp layers, and saved it. The problem was gone. Then I just opened the original file, and just resaved it, the problem was gone. In fact, all photoshop files reappear with their thumbnails after resafe in bridge filmstrip. So what is going on?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older files, that displayed just fine in Bridge and Lightroom, now only display as an icon.wolzak screenshot.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems like the smart object fix doesn't work universally. I'm still having this problem even with smaller files. The only "fix" I've found is to use Photo Mechanic instead of Bridge to browse files. It works much, much, MUCH better than Bridge

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines