• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Bridge over a network with others

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would Bridge be a good solution to set up photo library over a network that can be updated and modified with everyone on the network?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do i search for though? the keywords that have been applied?

JD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it does not matter, just type in a word and use descrption or key word, it is just to get it started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2009 May 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McPhotoman,

Your post is totally blank, as is the case with most messages sent to the forum by email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EEeeewww. Sorry. I shall not E-mail any forum again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 02, 2009 May 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thing with blank email posts is unique to this lousy Jive software that "powers" these Adobe forums. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been over six months now since we started using Bridge CS4 to share a central image library among a dozen designers and writers in our organization -- and it works. To date I've added more than 120,000 images to the library and more are added each month. You can track the details of what we did and are doing -- as well as catch the latest updates on my blog: http://imagearchivist.blogspot.com/

The simple reality is, you can do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply doing a search does nothing for us.  Bridge just comes up empty in a matter of seconds.  Am i doing something wrong?  or is it the fact that we are using CS3?

Jd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should the use find command itself (Edit/Find or cmd+F) and not the

quick search option in the bridge window and you also must have checked the

option to include non indexed files when using this find menu.

It might be that it is already indexed but to be honest I have no idea or

experience with network set up.

One thing is for sure, the upgrade to CS4 is a very good investment, Bridge

alone is worth it, this version is far better, faster and more stable then

the CS3 edition.

You can always download a trial version and test it for 30 days

Simply doing a search does nothing for us.  Bridge just comes up empty in a

matter of seconds.  Am i doing something wrong?  or is it the fact that we are

using CS3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing a search with the Find command, and i did tell it to look in folders that were not already indexed.  but it still came up with nothing.  however, i was not the one to add the keywords.  my co-worker was able to perform a search and come up with the proper responses without a problem, and he was the one who applied the keywords.  i will try again tomorrow and see what happens.

thank you for all of the help!

Jd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how is your access to the image library configured? In other words, what is the nature of your network and how do you/everyone in your department access it?

BTW, Omke is right: upgrade to CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like i have totally hijacked this thread - let me know if i should start a new one!

Ok, so...Bridge is currently indexing.  I don't know what i did differently today, but it is definitely working.

In answer to the questions about our image library and network:

Our image library is on it's own network drive.  it has 8 main folders that each have 16 or more subfolders with each subfolder containing our images (i set up the heierarchy for my own sanity several years ago).  we are keeping the images sorted by year, so next year there will be an additional main folder. i don't know if any of that really makes a difference...

In regards to the network, one of our IT guys has informed me that:

The network is a Windows2003 domain.  The images are stored on a Windows 2003 server and accessed through a CIFS share. The Mac user is authenticated against the Windows Active Directory.

Also, we are running into a problem - My boss and I work on G5's running Tiger 10.4.11, and my coworker works on a G4 running the same operating system.  we all have CS3. however, the G4 cannot run CS4.  if we were to purchase a new computer for my coworker, would we then face problems due to the different OS's?

Jd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jd_Johnson8 wrote:

Also, we are running into a problem -  my coworker works on a G4 running the same operating system.  we all have CS3. however, the G4 cannot run CS4. 

Depending on the specs of the G4, CS4 will run fine on that older computer.  I have been running CS4 on my G4, which does have an updated video card, without a single hitch.  The fact that Adobe chooses not to support that configuration does not mean it won't work.  As I said, it works flawlessly on my G4 and I do have the OpenGL functions.

Without the upgraded card, it would still run fine, but the OpenGL functions would not be available.  That's all.

If you search this forum, you will find references to Bridge 2.x (CS3) being the worst application ever released by any major software vendor.  Bridge 3.x in CS4 is better.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

If you search this forum, you will find references to Bridge 2.x (CS3) being the worst application ever released by any major software vendor.  Bridge 3.x in CS4 is better.

Here is an example of the above:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2120849#2120849

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like i have totally hijacked this thread - let me know if i should

start a new one!

It is still a very interesting thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like a few others in this thread, at my office we're investigating using Bridge CS4 as an image library. (We tested ACDSee and it was roundly hated for being buggy, although this may have to do with our SOE).

It's a large corporate environment, we're on PCs, and most users don't have admin rights. However, as my team of 8 has CS4 suite, we've "discovered" Bridge can be used for this. Our images are stored on a shared network drive that we all have read/write access to.

Just wondering how people here manage the following:

1) Making keywords "global" so all users will see them

2) Quality control of the keyword list (e.g I tag an image "NYC" but someone else tags it "New York City" - my search won't find it).

3) Folder structure  - do we go "flat", or doesn't it not really matter?

Our approach at this stage is:

• we will have centrally-managed set of keywords to start off with
  • when we go live each user will import the keyword list and index the library on first use
  • we'll then go through the process of tagging items using the keywords on the list
  • at a set interval (e.g. monthly), our library manager will quality-check the keyword list, clean it up, and then export to a central file
  • all users will then re-import the cleaned list

Would love to hear any thoughts from the thread on how we're going about it.

Thanks!

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marc,

I'm the digital image librarian for a large organization and helped to create a central image image library last summer. Like you we tested a variety of tools and eventually settled on Bridge CS4.

BTW, during that period I began blogging our experience so if you're interested you can read more details at: http://imagearchivist.blogspot.com/

Today our library holds some 120,000 images, accessible by more than a dozen designers and writers.  BUT -- and this is a critical BUT -- I'm the only one who can add or delete keywords and indeed any metadata (each image is tagged with robust bits of metadata in fact).

In order to establish an effective keywording strategy during the initial phases of the library's development our department held numerous meetings of designers and writers where we hammered out the initial keyword list -- a list that continues to evolve but under carefully controlled conditions. I also created more than a dozen templates in Bridge which serve as a wonderful way to add plenty of metadata -- including keywords of course -- easily and quickly. Letting others tinker with that is just begging for trouble.

This approach eliminates the potential problems that can arise when too many people have the ability to modify keywords or the metadata in general. ("Too many cooks stirring the pot.")

It also eliminates the need to continually update and "share" keyword lists (via import/export features).  Anyone with access to the library (also carefully controlled within the organization via hardware/software permissions on the server itself) simply has to  enter the relevant search criteria and then filter the search results. This leaves the keywording panel unnecessary for most users.

So -- three caveats:

1. Controlled access to the metadata
2. Establish a protocol for continually reindexing each machine's cache
3. Use the filter modules

You're on new ground here but the final word is this works. How long until you reach the magical ceiling of what Bridge can handle, well that's anybody's guess right now -- not even Adobe seems to know the answer to that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our network (PCs and Macs) includes people using Bridge CS2, CS3 and CS4 - all of whom can (once a drive/folder is indexed) read and write keywords that will be mutually recognized. Sometimes a search can be slow, depending on how many subfolders Bridge needs to comb through, but eventually the required objects are found. I'm wondering if moving our entire photo collection to a single folder would speed things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Rob, we found the opposite to be true.

Last summer as we were testing Bridge's various caching and searching features as preparation in launching our central image library we, too, thought that a single folder structure would be the way to go. After all, what's the point of all those folders when your're searching via metadata, right?

Well, we discovered that somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 files Bridge just couldn't/wouldn't index the folder. After running a series of tests on several Macs (no windows) running a the latest version of OS 10.x.x we concluded that the top end number of files for a folder was at about 3,000. beyond that things started to slow and, as noted above once we reached the 5-8k levels they stalled altogther (in some cases crashing Bridge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know. I guess I'll scrap the single folder idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have released a new version of Adobe Bridge (CC 2019) on 15th October 2018. The new version build number is 9.0.0.204. This version is available to install via Adobe Creative Cloud application.

This Bridge update contains support for centrally managing the Adobe Bridge cache (https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/centrally-manage-bridge-cache.html).

Please check following link to know about all new features in Adobe Bridge CC 2019 - https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/whats-new.html

You may need to update the Creative Cloud application and restart your computer to see the updated installer.

Thanks,

Varun Varshney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I can't believe how bad Adobe software is yet again! I've fought more with Adobe software over the years (I have been in IT for 30+ years) and I've never had more problems with any other software. Between their random restrictions, ridiculous licensing models, crazy pricing, cloud subscription models, I'm done. I thought I would give it one more shot with the free Bridge software but I guess not. Everyone points to Adobe as a professional photo/video editing product but if it can't even work in a professional IT environment with a server...then they have failed miserably. The market is ripe for a new software manufacturer to swoop in and show Adobe how it's done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bridge was never designed to operate in a network server environment from the start.

You want a free product to run like a thousand dollar DAM app? 

Your dreaming. Don't blame Adobe for not providing you with a free product that others have to pay for to get the features you are looking for.

The market is ripe for a new software manufacturer to swoop in and show Adobe how it's done!

Your right, and none has come to fruition. I wonder why. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines