• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are edits to a JPEG stored in Bridge?

Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a JPEG from Bridge in ACR, make some changes then click the Done button to exit ACR the changes I made are visible in Bridge. However, if I view the JPEG file in Windows Explorer the changes are not there. There is no XMP file for the JPEG so where are the changes saved? Does bridge have a catalog that contains the changes like LR or are the changes written into the JPEG in a format that is ignored by other image viewing software? Thanks.

By the way, I know that I can  force the changes to disk by clicking the Save Image button in ACR instead of clicking Done but this is messy because there is no way to overwrite the existing JPEG file. Every change generates a new file.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

It turns out that the JPG format is also a container.

So, just like a DNG, when you make changes to the image, the sidecar files are stored within the DNG or JPG image. They are there, just "contained."

Because of this you cannot lose them like a sidecar file. Also, if you send a friend a jpg image that you've enhanced in ACR, unless they also have ACR they will not see your enhancements. Thus, before sending an enhanced JPG, resave that image into a new jpg.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that the JPG format is also a container.

So, just like a DNG, when you make changes to the image, the sidecar files are stored within the DNG or JPG image. They are there, just "contained."

Because of this you cannot lose them like a sidecar file. Also, if you send a friend a jpg image that you've enhanced in ACR, unless they also have ACR they will not see your enhancements. Thus, before sending an enhanced JPG, resave that image into a new jpg.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It also appears that the XMP setting has no effect for JPEGs. ACR always stores the edits in the metadata. I'll bet the same is true for TIFF files. Thanks for your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines