• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Bridge open a previous version of PS in Tools?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have some files that I want to run a PS action on. If I select them in Bridge go Tools > Photoshop it opens a previous version (2021) version, even though 2022 is already open. If disable PS 2021 in Preferences > Startup Scripts there is no Photoshop option under Tools.

How do I make Bridge run PS actions in the current version of PS?

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Image processor , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you please try resetting Bridge's preferences and let us know if it helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-bridge.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, has made no difference. I have just the 2022 version od PS open. I have Bridge open go to Tools>Photoshop>Batch and then it opens up the 2021 version of Photoshop - why is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fijona,

First be assured that this happens to many many many people, myself included. It is not a rare occurrence but that doesn't mitigate the annoyance. 

There are two potential controls on which version of PS gets opened:

1. What's in the "File Type Associations" (found in Preferences), and the order of applications installed on your computer. You probably should verify that Bridge is aiming at the correct one.
  2. Which application was added last? You do not state what OS you are on and I know this happens to Mac users (I am one), and I believe it also occurs with PC users (but I'm not totally certain of the dynamics on PCs). Here, this is the OS trying to make sure you are using the latest version of an application, based on which one was last installed. To fix this, uninstall the one you want to open and reinstall it again.

Lastly, you might also try rebuilding Bridge's Preferences. In fact, I'd recommend doing this before doing #2 above, it's easier.

To reset Preferences:

Quit Bridge (if running). Just before clicking on Bridge in the Dock or double-clicking the application, for the Mac, press Command-Option-Shift. For PCs, press Control-Alt -Shift. Then open Bridge BUT KEEP your fingers on those keys until you see a window pop up. From the window, choose “Reset Preferences," "Entire Thumbnail Cache”, and/or "Reset Standard Workspaces.” In your case, choose "Reset Preferences."

Please let us know if any of these work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am MAC Big Sur 11.6. I've tried the reset preferences but that hasn't worked, it still wants to open an older version of PS. I will work through your other solutions when I am back at work in the morning and ley you know.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the party, but I have the similar problem, with one year older versions. I prefer to use Bridge CC 2022 (version 13 from the CC 2023 is far too buggy, unstable, and unpractical) and want to use some Extra tools in Bridge, like Load files into Photoshop Layers. And it tries to open Photoshop CC 2022.

This is due tot the fact that it's not depending on the File Type Associations in the Preference – they're all set to Photoshop CC 2023). These are merely for opening files from the Content window. Neither are the system's file associations settings on my Mac responsible for the confusion. They're also set to Photoshop CC 2023.

No, it's a Plugin which is in charge of driving this workflow, and calling the Photoshop CC 2022 specifically in stead. I haven't found out how and where I can tweak this setting. Simpy switchting off all Startup scripts (in the Preferences) referring to Photoshop 2022 doesn't help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. I have Bridge 2022, PS 2022 and PS 2023. PS 2022 is only around as a backup and I exclusively use PS 2023, but the Bridge/Tools/Photohop/Batch always launches PS 2022 no matter what. If i disable the plugin JUST for PS 2022 and leave 2023 checked on, the Photoshop submenu under Tools disappears.

What's really fun is the latest Bridge 2024 refuses to even use PS 2022 or 2023 for any of the Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only way around this is manipulating some Adobe scripts. I use Bridge 2022 in production with Photoshop 2024 and it works with some fudging. I'm not going to explain how to hack things but it CAN be done. You can also cause all sorts of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines