• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is it so hard to use document titles in Bridge?

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sold my boss on using Bridge to organize her assets.  She kept renaming files with titles that made sense to her and causing problems when she went to talk to the illustrator about them -- he didn't know what file she was talking about.  I convinced her to use Title metadata in Bridge, only do discover that it's damn near impossible to FIND it and you certainly can't add it to any of the most useful views.

I don't care about the filename.  If I want to see the file I Reveal in Finder.  Folders are somewhat more useful, filename almost never is.  But it's got the most important position in the Content pane and you can't move it out of there.  And you can't even add Title to another column.

I'm going to say that again.  You can't dd the Title to the visible metadata in the content pane.

Why is something so basic as Title so hard to use in Bridge?  It wasn't even enabled by default in the Preferences. It's hard to use in the Mac, it's hard to use in the Photos app...

I want to be able to get a list view that shows titles, and easily edit the document title in place, like you can with the filename.  I don't want her changing the filenames, or even seeing them!  Changing the filenames causes havoc if they're linked in After Effects and other apps, and she would be perfectly happy with a title field, especially if there was an easy and obvious way to populate that field with the filename (minus extension) if it's empty.  Then she could rename harmlessly to her heart's content.

Now I have to teach her Lightroom -- mostly how not to change anything but the library metadata.  It's the wrong tool for the job.  Or find some other tool that hopefully plays nice with the Creative Cloud software and doesn't blow my budget.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filename is the universal way that people deal with files and its been like that since the beginning. Why not just use a standard naming scheme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Document Titles and Filenames are two completely different things, and it needs to be the case. A filename is a hopefully unique identifier for a file, especially in the context of its folder organization scheme. A document title is a word or phrase that expresses the "main idea" of the work in the file.

As our digital projects develop over time and the way we use the files change, that main idea of the file changes with them. Old titles become no longer useful. Or a collaborator thinks naming a file "Empire State Building" is better than "Looking West, 34th St. N.Y.C."

Filenames need to be independent of their contents so when projects shift like this you don't end up with missing and/or duplicate files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of that matters, honestly. You have to use a workflow that fits the available tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, so you're a troll. I wondered based on the discussion thread. Good to know. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do not use abusive language or attack other posters. That is a violation of the community guidelines. I am a volunteer who is here to help and off-topic, personal attacks are not heplful here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many reasons to want to retitle an asset without changing the filename. Here are a few:

1. As in the above case, when multiple people are using a file but one of those people wants to work with it under a different title
  2. When there is already a file naming convention in use that makes it impossible to rename
  3. When files are embedded in InDesign, Premiere etc, and renaming them would break a link
  4. When someone wants to use special characters not supported by the host filesystem (this is a Big Deal for Creative Cloud for Teams, we've discovered -- it even affects comp names in After Effects)

In our case, all of the above apply.

Obviously, a proper asset management system would be appropriate, but the project is too near to completion to acquire, deploy and introduce one.  I was hoping to get away with Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not seeing the problem. Change the title in the metadata panel if needed. I suppose you could create a panel that showed the current title and allowed changes, but you'd need to learn a bit about scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Title field is important to my workflows as well because it maps to the Title field in Lightroom. This is more useful than the Heading field in Bridge.

The problem is that Title is not available as a choice for column headings in the list view, nor can it be displayed as one of the additional lines of thumbnail metadata.

If your workflow relies on seeing/sorting/filtering images by Title metadata, this task is laborious in the current version of Bridge (v9.0)

NOTE: instigating a search through CTRL + F allows you to choose 'Document title' as a criteria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try using Smart Collections. But yeah, people use filenames. Bridge is built around filenames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still seems to be an issue. Why would Adobe go to the trouble of making it possible to display under the thumbnail a bunch of commonly used metadata fields, but not the Title field! (which is what Lightroom Classic and industry photo sharing websites are "built around", instead of the Headline field)

I posted this the other day:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/thumbnails-and-title-field/m-p/12007352

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add it to the hover....

showTitle = function(event){ 

try{

if ((event.type == 'hover') && (event.object instanceof Thumbnail)) {

var Thumb  = new Thumbnail(event.object.spec);

md = Thumb.synchronousMetadata;

md.namespace = "http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";

var ti = md.title[0] ? md.title[0] : "";

if(ti != "") Thumb.core.itemContent.tooltip ="Title: " + ti;          

return { handled:false};

}

}catch(e){}

}

app.eventHandlers.push( { handler: showTitle } );

var prefs = app.preferences;

try{

if(!prefs.ShowTooltips) prefs.ShowTooltips=true;

}catch(e){}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate you taking the time to add the extendScript snippet here.  It's a cool hack that I plan to adapt for use elsewhere.  But in itself it doesn't solve the original problem of making it easy for the producer to do The Right Thing when she wants to rename something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this to be a problem with other types of metadata as well.  I am bewildered as to why I cannot get Bridge to display simple info about a video file, such as resolution and frame rate etc.  I have checked themm for display in the metadata preferences, but Bridge just will not display the desired info.  It should not be so hard to view basic file info in an app designed for the purpose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines