• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would Bridge work to create a catalog of images for a specific project?

Participant ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a new project where I want to pull images from my archives. I'm not pulling all images into this catalog, but only a selection, which I'll then want to sort, select and sequence. I use Capture One sessions to organize and process my files, for a number of reason, though when I go past 8 years ago, those images are organized in jobs and are in Lightroom catalogs as that was what I was using before switching to Capture One.

Image files are on external hard drive arrays. I use G-Tech G-RAID drives, 16 and 24TB volumes, organized as JBOD, not RAID, connected via Thunderbolt.

A lot of the sessions are commercial projects, so I will not be including them in this particular collection of images, which is, for want of a better description, a fine art project. So I'll be picking particular folders of images to add to this "catalog" and ignoring others.

Number of images: Possibly more than 100K but definitely less than 200K. 

I would like to keep my folder structure intact, referencing the image files, not moving them.

Image adjustments? : I have two intents here. First is to pull images that could be part of this project from all the various session folders so that I can start seeing which images may fit into this project and then arrange and sort them. At some stage I will start making work prints, but a lot of the preliminary selecting will be done digitally. I would definitely want to be able to make some adjustments to the files (RAW processing) that are then reflected in the catalog. This may be where the rubber hits the road, being able to see the adjsutments I make in C1 in Bridge. 

Metadata: Minimal. Basic copyright and rights management and a basic headline or description, but my metadata practice is generally minimal.

Looking for any advise, tips or best practices, issues etc that others have encountered when doing something like this and if Bridge would be a good solution or if I should look at other solutions. The Capture One catalog, which would be an obvious first option, is not great at working with large numbers of images. Adobe is generally much more robust when working with large numbers of images.

Thanks!`

TOPICS
Batch , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you are looking for is Collections in Adobe Bridge https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/collections-bridge.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

It's been a VERY long time since I've used Bridge, so appreciate the link. That could work for what I need. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between 100,000 and 200,000 images? Bridge is going to choke hard on that many. I'd go with Lightroom instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with Lumigraphics. Remember that Bridge is NOT a DAM, Lightroom Classic is. If you are working with a variety of projects, your need to jump to an entire project is vital and with that many images, that is just more than Bridge can handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.

I only use LR Classic when working on older images, pre Capture One, so I'm not as used to using it and building catalogs with it as I once was. So a couple of questions:

I believe that I can make a new catalog and add only folders that I want to add that catalog? So in my particular circumstance, I'll want to include folders that have personal or "fine art" work in the new catalog, but ignore folders that are purely commercial work?

Will there be a problem adding folders to this new catalog that are also in my old LR catalog of work from before I moved over to C1? In other words, is there a problem if some images and folders are in more than one LR catalog?

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi El_Jeffe,

There will be no issues in moving the images from one catalog to another. However, at that point, you have two images in two locations and if you make any subsequent changes to Catalog A, they will not show up in Catalog B (or vice versa). So, it's best to move them over, not copy them over.

Next issue: if you've made any changes, alterations, enhancements to the images in Catalog A, you need to move those changes over as well. The way I prefer to do this is to select the images, and from the File menu, select: "Export as Catalog…." Then, in Catalog B, from the file menu, select "Import from another Catalog…."

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the great feedback! I've decided to go back to C1, as that's where I do my RAW processing, and make a series of smaller catalogs based upon years, similar to how I would in LR. That way changes to files will be reflected in the catalog. From what I can gather, LR is a much more robust catalog and able to handle a much larger number of files in a catalog, but being able to make and see changes to the files is probably more important to me in this case. Again, thanks for the responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines