• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP sidecar files and raw files

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to have XMP metadata integrated into raw files and not in a sidecar XMP file?

TOPICS
How to , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Hi Marie,

No and yes. Camera companies raw files are singualr individual units and cannot be altered or changed. That's why there's no "save" option in ACR. 

However, DNG images are containers that contained all of the original raw data and can also contain other things such as XMP metadata. I've been converting all of my raw Cannon images into DNGs from the very beginning and have had no issues or problems. If you take a folder of your raw images (and also contianing all of the XMP data) an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie,

No and yes. Camera companies raw files are singualr individual units and cannot be altered or changed. That's why there's no "save" option in ACR. 

However, DNG images are containers that contained all of the original raw data and can also contain other things such as XMP metadata. I've been converting all of my raw Cannon images into DNGs from the very beginning and have had no issues or problems. If you take a folder of your raw images (and also contianing all of the XMP data) and use the DNG converter tool, after conversion you can toss all of the raw images and the XMP data and you'll be fine. When I ingest the images from my camera's card, I do the conversion at the time of ingestion and never see a Canon raw image on my camera.

You can get the latest DNG converter here

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Enjoy, let us know how it all works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I am finding the updated Camera Raw plug-in keeps generating sidecar files even when I have it set to "ignore sidecar .xmp" seelcted in the Preferences. This NEVER used to happen with previous versions. And this happens to all types of RAW files. My Leica shoots raw DNG files and even when I process those Camera Raw saves a sidecar file. There is just no stopping it anymore and it's incredibly annoying.
Any other way around it?
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines