Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch rename failing to add file type suffix to new name

Engaged ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

My batch rename in Bridge started dropping the file suffix to the end of the file names even though in the preview at the bottom of the Batch Rename shows that it will be included. So I'm having to now add it into the naming protocol as text. So, I now need to add a line to the "new filenames" area of that window .jpg, .tif or .psd.

In the attached photo at the bottom where it shows you the preview the new file name is showing the .jpg but once I actually process these files, that .jpg won't be there and my thumbnails disappear because bridge doesn't know what they are anymore.

What's going on here?batch rename.jpg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Bridge's Batch Rename Tool has been designed with intentional safety nets so that it is really hard to rename your files without a filename extension. It is possible to break this, however, your screenshot shows that even when not explicitly adding in the existing filename extension it will be used (or should be used).

Your memory is correct.

I just tested in Bridge CC 2018 & 2019 on the Mac and the existing extension was not removed when the interface was configured as you show.

I have no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all: What are you doing posting this issue on the Photoshop Forum instead of the Bridge Forum? 

Secondly: Have you deliberately removed »Current Filename > Extension«? 

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 19.11.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize there was a specific bridge forum. I'll go shoot myself now for this transgression 😊

No I don't think I removed it. I think I didn't need it before but there is a possiblity it was simply in the list and as I seldom change things in this list, I could have accidently removed it. I don't think so though. As you can see in the preview...the .jpg is shown without the current file name window being in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No big thing, more a pet peeve of mine.

A lot of stuff seems to get directed to the Photoshop Forum for which better avenues might exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll move this post to the Bridge forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ultrachrome,

It does appear that the suffix was turned off. Can you try it again and make sure that it's been added?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary...do you mean in the "new file names" part of the window? I know that would work but I could almost swear I didn't need to do that before. As you see in the file name preview, the file type suffix is there but not there when I apply the rename tool. I could just be having a false memory though and have had accidently removed that from the file naming protocol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ultrachrome,

Yes, that's how you build the names.

As far as not doing that before, it's impossible to really say. It's essentially impossible for me, or anyone, to say what happened here. You may have clicked that off inadvertenlty or by thinking it was something else (I'm a bit dislexic so making mistakes like that are easy for me), it may have been a glitch in the preferences, who knows?

Suffice it to say that this is a "what you do is what you get" kind of process. I would suggest doing some practice runs with a dozen images to verify that what you want is what you get.

Good luck and let us know what happens,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary - I think Stephen Marsh had the answer for me but your time is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge's Batch Rename Tool has been designed with intentional safety nets so that it is really hard to rename your files without a filename extension. It is possible to break this, however, your screenshot shows that even when not explicitly adding in the existing filename extension it will be used (or should be used).

Your memory is correct.

I just tested in Bridge CC 2018 & 2019 on the Mac and the existing extension was not removed when the interface was configured as you show.

I have not yet had time to test on CC 2020.

Bridge CC 2020 on Windows retained the extension too.

From a few years ago:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/bridge-losing-file-extensions-during-batch-rename/td-p/9232332...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stephen...I was worried I was having a early onset seniors moment. I guess if I have a bug that means I'll simply need to add the suffix into the naming protocol, that's exactly what I'll do. Either that or uninstall and reinstall the program and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to uninstall/reinstall, I believe that you will have to manually reset the Bridge preferences as they are retained when uninstalling, therefore if the problem was preference file related then you would not have achieved anything... Which means that before uninstalling, try resetting the preferences first, it may save an unnecessary uninstall and reinstall!

If you have a large amount of images missing extensions and you don't know which files are which image type, then the following may help to automate adding the correct file extension to unknown format files:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/09/exiftool-automatically-adding-missing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Stephen! I'll follow your advice when (or if) I try a reinstall. Appreciated.

greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Stephen_A_Marsh
My name is Aviel and we previously corresponded with Adobe Forums
About Pitstop software
Adobe didn't like us writing in their forum about this software
So I left a message on the Enfocus forum
Question about
"action only in selection"
If you can please help me
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines