Highlighted

Bridge CC keeps crashing when viewing folder

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought I'd post this here for anyone else that was having this same problem. I recently updated from Bridge CS6 to CC and kept experiencing crashes with CC after viewing one particular folder. I thought it was an issue with CC as CS6 didn't crash with the folder, so I went into problem solving mode to figure it out. First thing I did was go to edit - preferences - cache and purged the cache folder. I then went to the folder that caused the crash and watched the filter - label in the bottom left to see what number it was counting down as it extracted each thumbnail to be cached. Once it crashed I made note of the last number I saw, which was 33. I then went into the folder outside of bridge, counted down 33 files and removed the file from the folder which solved the problem. It appears that the file had become corrupted at some point, so that is why the new CC couldn't make a thumbnail, but CS6 could as it was already on file. So if you are experiencing crashes while viewing certain folders in Bridge, you might want to try this out.

Hello,

Please go through this link and try the workaround suggested:

Workaround to fix Bridge CC 6.1.1 and 6.2 crashing on Mac OS X El Capitan

Thanks,

Vikram Sethi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Bridge CC keeps crashing when viewing folder

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought I'd post this here for anyone else that was having this same problem. I recently updated from Bridge CS6 to CC and kept experiencing crashes with CC after viewing one particular folder. I thought it was an issue with CC as CS6 didn't crash with the folder, so I went into problem solving mode to figure it out. First thing I did was go to edit - preferences - cache and purged the cache folder. I then went to the folder that caused the crash and watched the filter - label in the bottom left to see what number it was counting down as it extracted each thumbnail to be cached. Once it crashed I made note of the last number I saw, which was 33. I then went into the folder outside of bridge, counted down 33 files and removed the file from the folder which solved the problem. It appears that the file had become corrupted at some point, so that is why the new CC couldn't make a thumbnail, but CS6 could as it was already on file. So if you are experiencing crashes while viewing certain folders in Bridge, you might want to try this out.

Hello,

Thanks,

Vikram Sethi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issues with files that I have created using video editing in Photoshop CC. After rendering the files from PSD to Mp4's, and previewing within the folder, Bridge hangs and crashes. This is happening consistently whenever there's an Mp4 in the folder I've viewing, so I know they're not corrupted. I'm actually now creating a folder within the folder to "hide" the Mp4's thumbnail preview. This is the only solution I could come up with for the moment. 

Can someone in Adobe-land offer some feedback or a fix for this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a proper video program to edit video files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Use a proper video program to edit video files."

Nonsense. That has nothing to do with this. I have the SAME issue, when I try to view a folder of MP4 files (that were converted from native using the beloved Adobe Media Encoder), Bridge crashes. The video editing program is irrelevant, an MP4 with the correct meta data will work. Photoshop is video editing capable, Bridge has a serious MP4 thumbnail-viewing bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to me too.  It usually happens after i update some programs.  Most recently the different 2015 apps.  Last time i uninstalled it and reinstalled but its kind of a POA since I have the folders navigated how i like now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Bridge crashes whenever I navigate to certain folders. It seems to be related to the generation of particular thumbnails but I'm not sure why that should be. It's a bug that needs fixing, pronto.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. I can't right click to do something with collections without it crashing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstall and reinstall fixed the issue for me again.  It doesnt like trying to have the old apps open your thumbnails after you update them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is still crashing when viewing a folder that contains video-files like .mov or .mp4 - even after reinstalling bridge. Are there any other workarounds that may solve the problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things you can try and they are both shot-in-the-dark, but let's see what happens.

First and as mentioned earlier by someone, Bridge doesn't play nice when dealing with a networked drives and I'm starting to believe that includes a DropBox or OneDrive folders. Here's why I mention that, because I never navigated to either of those folders directly, BUT, I did make a Library in Win8 and called it "Cloud" and I pointed that Library to DropBox and OneDrive. WELL, in Bridge Preferences on the General settings page you can check/uncheck the Favorites locations for Bridge to monitor, such as Desktop, User Folder, etc, and one of the choices is Libraries. I unchecked that and it solved my issues including the video file thing you're battling. But there's another thing to check... the other issue is Bridge's attempt to make thumbnails and I think that's the biggest reason why video files bomb. Go to the Cache page and make sure that "Keep 100% Previews in Cache" is UNCHECKED. Then go to the Advanced page and UNCHECK "Generate Monitor-size previews". Restart Bridge and see what happens, and let me know.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks PaulieDC, that made sense to me but for some reason it still doesn't work for me. I wish there would be a temporary fix that would not generate thumbnails for video files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall from the CC app, including all preferences. Reinstall through the app. You should be good to go.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same repeated crashes upon viewing folders...

Uninstall and reinstall didn't help.

Please can someone provide a workaround?

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks,

Vikram Sethi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Hello,

Thanks,

Vikram Sethi

this procedure didn't work too...

Bridge is still crashing on me...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, restarted, and same thing.  InDesign is crashing over and over again as well. It seems to have happened with the latests updates. My colleague has not upgraded since 11.1.0, and she is not having any of these issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround worked for me, but I actually quite like using my second monitor as a space, it means I have menu bars on both screens which is useful. Is there a fix coming for this so I can keep using my display as a space?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Bridge is CONSTANTLY crashing. It's getting to the point that I'm having to use Mac OS to search and sort photos. I've tried rebuilding, deleting preferences, etc. But it just goes back to crashing after all these attempts. It seems to have happened with the latest update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines