• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge creates keywords rather than selecting the ones I made.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am tagging archival photos as my job. Part of my hierarchy looks like this:

Programs

Business

Accounting

Business Administration

Management

Accounting

However when I tag a photo with the business tag, it tags it for a second, then removes itself then adds an additional business tag in the 'other keywords' tab

Programs

Business

Accounting

Business Administration

Management

Accounting

Other Keywords

Buisness

I don't know why this is happening. I've tried deleting the business keyword, going into the metadata tab and deleting it from there, I've tried closing the program between deleting the 'other keyword' business and tagging the 'programs' business. Everything that I can think of.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

Based on the links you gave me plus one I found where you discuss something similar with supermerlin, I need to modify that script.  However:

1. I can't find the script to download in the link you gave me (simple instructions). For a second what appears to be a download button appears and then immediately another screen pops up.
  2. I'm not sure what to do with the script once it's installed, i.e., what to alter.  I'm thinking I would delete LR:HierarchicalSubject for the specific Parent keywords that are causing my problems.  Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the results of testing the 3 images in my reply #24? Perhaps they will pinpoint the issue or provide a clear path forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the simple instructions were not as simple as I thought. The link describes how to download or save script code, then how to install it.

I have not provided any specific links or code until I have a better understanding of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, I misunderstood thinking the link was to the script.  No matter what, I am learning a lot and that is always good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumigraphics,

It occurred to me that when I said your second solution didn't work I was thinking of the "old Parent keyword" issue where no matter what I do, a previously used Parent keyword keeps popping up.

The other problem I have is where certain keywords that I currently use pop up in the Other Keyword category.  For those cases, your second solution absolutely works.  Unchecking the keyword under Other Keywords, then deleting that keyword and checking the same keyword in the new category makes things correct.

I thought I should make that clear since you have graciously provided your time on this.

R/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of the "old Parent keyword" issue where no matter what I do, a previously used Parent keyword keeps popping up.

This is what I was hoping for you to answer, that one of the 3 images from my post #24 that have varying keyword metadata would hopefully isolate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.  I guess part of the problem is that I haven't been entirely clear in my communication.  Just  to sum up where I think we are:

• When keywords appear in the Other Keywords category, I will manually delete and then replace them in the proper category .

• I need a way to delete old Parent commands that I no longer use but are embedded in the image XMP data. (You apparently were able to do it manually for that image I sent.  I suspect it's too involved to be useful across hundreds of images.  But if it's straight forward, I would be happy to start using it one image or folder of images at a time.)

• You believe a script can be written that targets LR Hierarchical Subject lines that contain the obsolete XMP info.

• Then through some action, as yet unknown to me, I could use that script to delete all the old Parent keywords.

I hope I've got it right.

R/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• When keywords appear in the Other Keywords category, I will manually delete and then replace them in the proper category .

I am not 100% sure about that. What was the result of testing the three images in post #24?

You may need to delete everything in the Other Keywords category, then try each of my test images one by one to see if they add unwanted values in the Other Keywords category. You will then likely need to delete any entries in the Other Keywords category and then test the next image to see if the unwanted entries come from that specific metadata. There are only two files with isolated keyword metadata, you just need to pinpoint which metadata is the problem.

no-keywords.jpg

dcsubject-iptckeywords.jpg

lr-hierarchicalSubject.jpg

Did one of these images help in your workflow?

Is having no keywords the best approach?

Is only having dcsubject-iptckeywords and NO lr-hierarchicalSubject the best approach for you?

Or is only having lr-hierarchicalSubject keywords with no standard dcsubject-iptckeywords the best approach?

Curious minds need to know!

• I need a way to delete old Parent commands that I no longer use but are embedded in the image XMP data. (You apparently were able to do it manually for that image I sent.  I suspect it's too involved to be useful across hundreds of images.  But if it's straight forward, I would be happy to start using it one image or folder of images at a time.)

I have hacked two different scripts from another script. One script only removes dcsubject-iptckeywords, while another script removes only lr-hierarchicalSubject metadata. Both script scan be run on the same images to remove ALL keyword metadata (I have not worked out how to combine both scripts into one). Once installed, all you have to do is select one or multiple images and then use the a menu item to clear the appropriate metadata, without affecting other metadata.

• You believe a script can be written that targets LR Hierarchical Subject lines that contain the obsolete XMP info.

Aceessing the structured lr-hierarchicalSubject metadata is something that will take more work and I will likely need the help of those that know more than I currently do. This is the case for scripting and for ExifTool as structured metadata is very complex and not as easy to work with.

• Then through some action, as yet unknown to me, I could use that script to delete all the old Parent keywords.

With luck yes, however we have to identify exactly what has to be removed. If you do need to remove lr-hierarchicalSubject metadata, then is it the entire entry? Or is it a sub-set of the entry? If a sub-set, for example which of the below would be removed (red, green or blue)?

<lr:hierarchicalSubject>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li>Animals & Plants|Birds</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Animals Insects Birds Fish|Birds|Egrets & Herons</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Animals Insects Birds Fish|Birds</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag>

</lr:hierarchicalSubject>

(I’m guessing that red and blue should be deleted, retaining the green entry)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

Other Keywords: Deleting the keywords from the Other Keywords category and then reapplying them to new sub category works and there is no need to pursue this further.  Example: I've created a Parent keyword called Cities.  Under that is a sub keyword of Rome.  In older files Rome shows up in Other Keywords.  I select All images in a folder of images from Rome, delete the word from Other Category and then go to Cities and add Rome to the images.  If I haven't ready created a keyword in the new category all I have to do is move the keyword to Cities and it goes there. 

Is having no keywords the best approach?  NO

Is only having dcsubject-iptckeywords and NO lr-hierarchicalSubject the best approach for you?  It's only selected lr-hierarchicalSubject that I no longer use that I want to delete.  That's why a manual approach may be best.

If you do need to remove lr-hierarchicalSubject metadata, then is it the entire entry? NO

Or is it a sub-set of the entry? YES

If a sub-set, for example which of the below would be removed (red, green or blue)?  RED for sure. I'm not sure what keeping the BLUE does.  It may be necessary for other files.  I have at least a hundred sub words under that Parent representing different animals from other images.  So probably want to keep BLUE as well.

Accessing the structured lr-hierarchicalSubject metadata.... I'm getting concerned that this is more difficult and complicated than I originally thought.  First, I hate to see you spending so much time on this and second I'm concerned that when I try to use the script, I'll screw things up.  At the end of the day, this is about my (and others) need to make things neat and organized cleanly.  You've been incredible in identifying the issue.  I wonder if it should be up to Adobe to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's some information in the discussion at Re: dc:subject and lr:hierarchicalSubject keywords out of Synch  you might find informative and/or helpful.

It might explain the symptoms you describe; if you have the same problem you might try the solution I adopted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines