• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Bridge opens on the folder it was last opened/closed in, it takes a long time to load, constantly 'building criteria' as if all the images are newly imported. I've searched the forums, have tried all the tweaks and settings, but it's still iceberg slow.  Bridge CS5 is noticeably quicker, as if the cache info is being read immediately. CS6 is behaving as if the cache file has been deleted. It hasn't. I have tried the "flush the cache" to see if maybe it's corrupted. No joy. I have boosted cache size. No joy. I've compacted, automatically exported cache to folders, everything... Nothing seems to fix the snail slowness.

All Adobe updates have been applied.

i7-2600s @2.80GHz

8 gb DDRw ram

Nvidia GeForce GT420 1gb DDR3

6+ tbs hd space.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 206 Replies 206
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perhaps this is where I went wrong. I opened them in LR, worked on them, then exported them to DNG. I used the batch rename from Bridge after they were finished and sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked all the drives for indexing, and they all had "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" ticked. So, what I did was un-tick it on them all, rebooted. Once in Windows, when through them an re-ticked Allow indexing, went out to dinner, came back.

Checked computer, saw it was finished, I started Photoshop CS6E 64bit, and Bridge 64bit.

Good-ish news.

1: the Building Criteria still takes longer to stop/finish than it does in CS5 Bridge, nor does is it load thumbnails as fast as CS5 Bridge (Same folder finishes loading in CS5 2 seconds, CS6 8 seconds), BUT no longer are the thumbnails re-extracting with every start, and the "Building Criteria" isn't preventing me from scrolling through the thumbnails. It's still not as fast as CS5 Bridge, but it's not grindingly slow.

So, it's a definitely an improvement over the snail crawling speed.

@Tim_Lookingbill I will look into adjusting mouse settings next. Appreciate the suggestion.

@Vienna_Sydney  I tried having CS6 use the same cache as CS5 18 months ago... no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vienna_Sydney I tried having CS6 use the same cache as CS5 18 months ago... no joy.

It is simply impossible because the central Cache of CS5 and CS6 are using different cache formats. As all versions of Bridge have used another cache format and created their own central cache file for use per version. The exception might be CS6 and CC using the same format but still they create a separate Central Cache file per version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered another interesting behavior in CS5 Bridge thumbnail generation that might or might not be related but feel is worth noting.

I shut down my computer last night (as opposed to my regular sleep mode) to do the thumbnail rebuild test check on all 180 folders. It passed. No rebuilding, just "XX items, XX hidden" shown in the lower left corner.

As I've indicated above after a thorough folder cache purge with thumbnail quality set to "Embedded...(Faster)" all my image thumbnails have the black bounding box and severely desaturated unedited previews. What's worth noting is that my Content Panel in Film Strip mode has my thumbnail size about an inch tall in a horizontal single file arrangement at the bottom of Bridge's interface. If I expand the size of the thumbnails to about double the size by grabbing and dragging the top border of the Content Panel, the first 9 out 21 previews (for this one particular folder) update and change back to their previous (before cache purge) correct color and edits VERY QUICKLY and the black bounding box disappears. At the same time the spinning ball icon and "Thumbnail Extraction" rebuild indicator process in the lower left corner takes place but is significantly much faster and almost as immediate as the updated thumbnail previews. Also to note if I click on the 9th thumbnail with correct previews the one next to it updates but the rest of the 21 don't.

I tested again by clicking on another folder (which didn't update its previews since I didn't click on one of the thumbnail images) and back to the folder of 21 images to see if the rebuild process would go back to its slowed down behavior with the spinning ball icon in the lower left corner never stopping and it passed the test. No rebuilding/extracting.

The reason I'm being so specific on this is to give some kind of characterization of behavior of Bridge's thumbnail preview generation and what gets cached and what doesn't. There's something definitely funky about Bridge's preview caching system that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Something else I noticed is the Bridge Cache directory located in my User account>Library>Cache... only has previews for folders labeled "256" and "1024" both of which are full of folders similarly named to my 180 folders but contain small sized jpegs (tagged with sRGB profiles) of my images with correct previews. The cache folder labeled "full" is empty except for one tiff file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Lookingbill wrote:

...At the same time the spinning ball icon and "Thumbnail Extraction" rebuild indicator process in the lower left corner takes place but is significantly much faster and almost as immediate as the updated thumbnail previews.

Just to be more accurate, the speed slows according to the number of images in the folder, but the process can be stopped immediately by dragging downward the top border of the Content panel to make the thumbnails smaller not necessarily back to their previous 1in. size. It's just the action of lowering the top border stops the preview extraction process is what I'm getting at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SandraChung wrote:

I checked all the drives for indexing, and they all had "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" ticked. So, what I did was un-tick it on them all, rebooted. Once in Windows, when through them an re-ticked Allow indexing, went out to dinner, came back.

Checked computer, saw it was finished, I started Photoshop CS6E 64bit, and Bridge 64bit.

Good-ish news.

1: the Building Criteria still takes longer to stop/finish than it does in CS5 Bridge, nor does is it load thumbnails as fast as CS5 Bridge (Same folder finishes loading in CS5 2 seconds, CS6 8 seconds), BUT no longer are the thumbnails re-extracting with every start, and the "Building Criteria" isn't preventing me from scrolling through the thumbnails. It's still not as fast as CS5 Bridge, but it's not grindingly slow.

So, it's a definitely an improvement over the snail crawling speed.

That's completely and utterly not what I meant at all!

You are referring to Windows indexing, which is where the OS catalogues all its files' contents for search purposes.  It's got nothing to do with the Bridge index.

The Bridge index is a file called "store" in the "data" folder in the "Cache" folder.  It's a database containing the metadata of every file Bridge has browsed.  When the Filter panel says "building criteria", Bridge is going through the index entries for every file shown in the Content panel in order to build up a list of used metadata terms and the various values for each term.

If Bridge is having trouble reading this database file, you might expect the "building criteria" message to hang or time out.

What I was suggesting is deleting or moving this file, whilst Bridge is closed, and letting Bridge rebuild it from scratch on relaunch.  When Bridge is running with a fresh store, there will be no indexed metadata at first, until you start browsing folders, when it will be added gradually over time.  The "building criteria" delay may go away.

In order to expedite re-indexing, you can perform a search in Bridge from the root of a data folder containing all of your images (or whatever), ticking the "Include Non-indexed Files" box.

If the long "building criteria" delay comes back when you have re-indexed your document folders, then maybe there's something about your metadata which is upsetting Bridge on your system and your friends systems.  Maybe this problem (like the thumbnail regen problem) only affects people who use metadata in a certain way, explaining why most people are fine, but a sizeable minority see a big performance problem.

Another possibility is that the store file becomes so large and badly fragmented that it affects Bridge's speed. But I think the host drive would have to be pretty slow for this to have such a big effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you missed where I said I had already had done what you meant, several time, with zero results.

Deactivated, uninstalled, manually deleted all remnants, rebooted. Reinstalled, reactivated. No difference.

Purged the cache, rebooted, started Bridge, let thumbnails build. Shut it down, restarted, behaved as if it was a new import not an already indexed folder.

Hence why I presumed you meant Windows Indexing.   So, riddle me this: why did re-indexing Windows Indexing speed up the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Sandra Chung, and to all on this long thread, I have read many -- if not absolutely all posts, from the beginning. I have experienced slow Bridge too, in ways that seem the same as what Sandra describes, and just as mysterious as to cause. Still worse, for a period a year ago we were on a small college campus with my MacBook Pro hard-wired into the college LAN on one side of things and my MacBook Air on our cottage wifi on the other side. In THAT crazy setup I could browse an archive on the Pro, over network, from the Air, pretty quickly. The local browsing on either Mac worked as it ought to, too.

But before that time and since, I've had the same sluggishness and criteria re-builds at each launch, or at each new accessing of the archive on the Pro, over our local wifi network from the Air.

I have investigated and looked for solutions on and off, and in the past few days, here. I've tried some of the fixes and sometimes I have an impression they help. But it does also seem nothing quite sticks.

So I also appreciate the ongoing attention from many of you to offer help over the span of this thread, and I see that now, as of mid-October, it has even kept writhing into mid-September, after Sandra's most recent post in June.

Gaaaah! So I have a question for anyone, in sincere curiosity. That is, why not subscribe to one of the Creative Cloud packages?

For one thing, when one takes stock of the time lost on problems like this one, the monthly/annual cost of CC seems pretty modest. Put another way, I have upgraded PS about every other year from PS 2.5.1 in 1993 through PS 5.1, for which I'd say the cost going forward is about a wash. But what else?

I have to say I have liked the format and interface in Bridge very much. It's old habit -- I know where things are in Bridge and in CR, and how they work for me. Presently I'm trying LR and finding it Martian-ly opaque, at first try. (One thing, for 69 yr old eyes, is the MICROSCOPIC font used for the interface labels, grrr -- but previous iterations of other tools weren't innocent either.)

I'd be grateful for any observations or experiences any of you would care to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To BTyson - My issue with upgrading licenses is the loss of perpetual licenses to a subscription based service.....like a cell phone. I know it's the way things are going, but my stubbornness and method of operation make it a difficult decision. Adobe built an industry standard on great software development and excellent marketing. Problem is they've changed the terms of our agreement (so-to-speak) and taken away my ability to own what I've purchased. At least at the end of a 2-year cell phone contract I own the phone...

On my system: Bridge CS6 is simply slow to respond to everything - even a task such as clicking on the "Help" menu item. It takes a good 5 or more seconds to show the dialog box. The cumulative result is horrible for productivity. LR isn't an option as I work with Postscript files and many others not supported by LR.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.....but since CC isn't taking off as expected maybe they've worked this "bug" into our software to promote upgrades. (it's not like it's never been done before)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Luke, I guess it might come down to what your time is worth and to whether having that productivity is really important. I see it as this: starting 1994 I have purchased or upgraded Photoshop + Bridge about every other year, or about every other version jump. Over time I have to say the annual or monthly outlay I've made isn't so different from what Adobe now requires right out for the CC subscriptions.

I'm favorably impressed with PS CC and especially with the slight changes to Bridge. I haven't used LR so even though it's part of the Photographer package I don't know whether I will start using it.

Put that aside. The new versions work better and are not so different in the substance of the interface that I consider I now lose time re-learning familiar routines. There are new tools of course and in time I expect to find ways to use some of them. This not to come off as an Adobe shill -- I've gnashed enough teeth. Say that again, I've gnashed enough teeth that paying for the tool as I 'wear it down' seems worthwhile. BTW I don't buy the cellphone analogy. To me it's more like the table saw I bought to help in a remodel job. I will have the saw going forward, but I have already replaced blades that got used up and dull. I expected that.

Software isn't a dead, inert thing you pick up and use. It keeps unfolding and offering deeper ways to work, and thanks to Adobe and outfits like them, that's the way it will continue to be, I suspect.

More written here than I planned, it just comes out. Yes, the CC install has manifested a glitch or two but overall it works better than PS 5, my previous version. Quasi nirvana. Maybe the person who posted after you and ahead of me would do well to think again about CC, too. And get his optical drive back, in the bargain! I write that not to be provocative, but in a hunch -- could be disproven I know and bless him if he does -- that he hasn't really solved some underlying situation. And the delays will keep cropping up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was looking for ground zero 2014 on this topic after following Yammer's posts going as far back as 2011 in search of a solution for my CS5 Bridge thumbnail extraction/rebuild issue. The 2014 update and summation on this page is quite helpful in that it lists all the accumulative "kitchen sink" solutions along with all the inconsistencies in causality from each contributor who seem to have a slightly different situation from reading previous threads on this issue.

Here's my CS5 variable and so far my solution to the never ending rebuilding (thumbnail extractions) whenever clicking on an image folder with Content panel open in Film Strip mode in Bridge CS5.

I have 180 image folders in my Pictures folder on Mac OS 10.6.8, 64bit Mac Mini.

Bridge Cache Preference settings...

1. "Keep 100% Previews In Cache" selected...

2. "Automatically Export Cache To Folders When Possible" not selected.

3. Cache Size slider maxed out to 500,000.

4. "Preferred Embedded (Faster)" thumbnails selected whose icon/dropdown menu can be seen when Bridge's "Path Bar" is turned on under Bridge's "Window" menu (Film Strip mode in my case).

However, what I have to do to stop the rebuilding of the thumbnails in its tracks is to click on each image folder and purge the folder cache under Bridge's Tool menu>Cache>"Purge Cache For Folder XXX". Purging cache in Preferences doesn't work. I have to purge cache by clicking one folder at a time on ALL 180 image folders and then selecting "Purge Cache For Folder..." using the Tools menu system. It doesn't matter if the images have crops that touch ACR's bounding frame or if lens profiles are selected or the number of images in a folder which in my case averages about 30.

With this method I've noticed the more folders I apply this procedure to clicking on folders farther down the list in Picture folder, the more the Content panel chokes a bit by not showing all image frames along with the "thumbnail extraction" indicator in Bridge's lower left corner still trying to rebuild thumbnails. I then have to invoke "Purge Cache For Folder..." AGAIN through Tools menu to get it to stop with all frames now viewable in Content panel.

I can quit Bridge and restart and/or restart my computer and so far the rebuilding of thumbnails has stopped when I select image folders going down the list using the down arrow key. The Content panel shows all images and the spinning ball icon along with the "thumbnail extraction" indicator in the lower left corner now only show a list of number of items and number of hidden items with the spinning ball now only showing up for a couple of seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you left your comment blank, Omke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Omke posts to the forum using email, and this sometimes generates blank posts. I'm sure he'll be back shortly to curse Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure he'll be back shortly to curse Jive.

I like this comment but don't want to make the effort to sign in for a like….

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you left your comment blank, Omke?

Can't think of any valid reason except this dreadful new forum format does not seem to work correctly with email. If I don't use a quote it is almost certain to end up blank, this one I used on email via iPad which does not seem to work either. I almost always use email and for some reason I have to sign in every time again per day because the forum did sign me out automatically. It is very hard to keep positive in this way…

Here is a copy of my previous answer, hope this time it works:

4. "Preferred Embedded (Faster)" thumbnails selected whose icon/dropdown menu can be seen when Bridge's "Path Bar" is turned on under Bridge's "Window" menu (Film Strip mode in my case).

This setting is only useful for quick viewing of the folder content, every time you select a file in the content window it starts building a HQ preview (the thumb builds also correctly and the black border disappears).

Use always HQ for being productive with Bridge.

Also be aware Bridge is very processor and graphic card demanding. It states a minimum of 1 GB Ram but with only this it is in fact unusuable, you will profit from more RAM ( max out if possible, RAM is very cheap)

Be sure to have enough free space left on your disk, minimum is 15 %

Also be aware that CC 2014 needs the minimum of OSX 10.7, it will not work on your system!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another "kitchen sink" tip that may or may not work. I discovered this recently when I readjusted my mouse double-click selection speed and keyboard stroke repeat speed and started getting "Resolve Alias" message dialog boxes whenever I double-clicked folder aliases to open them on my desktop and when emptying the trash using the keyboard shortcut.

I slowed down my mouse double-click speed and keyboard stroke repeat speed in System Preferences and these message dialog boxes went away. This also stopped images selected in Bridge's Content panel in order to generate the main Preview from immediately launching into ACR with just one single click. Seeing Bridge seems to be quite sensitive about any changes that occur within image folders either by double-clicking images to open in ACR or just single clicking folders to show thumbnails, I'm suspicious that the electronic pulse action of quickly repeating keystokes/mouse clicks set in System Preferences might be doing something under the hood we're not aware and may be the cause for all the variables from other contributors with slightly different scenarios related to this thumbnail rebuild issue.

Just another variable to rule out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is, after two years of complaints, paying for a premium product, why has Adobe not issued a fix for this problem?  I am not a techie, use the software for my business, and do not have time to fix their problems. 

This problem just started for me this week.  They need to take care of their customers and issue a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem, and Adobe fixed it - kind of... Creating a new user was the solution.

I spent 1 h 45 min on the support line today, and we went through all the steps we already know. Then, as a last resort, I was told to create a new user on my PC. When I log in as that user (with administrator rights, belonging to the Administrators group) Bridge works perfectly fine. When logged in as my old user, it's still slow.

So creating a new user solved the problem for Adobe. For me, it means I'll have to migrate all my documents, settings etc. to the new account. For most programs, it's just a copy/paste operation, but not for all of them - like Outlook. That means a support call to Microsoft and some tweaking to get my Outlook to work in the new account etc.

So now it's up to me if I want to spend a few hours messing with the move to a new account, or if I just give up on Bridge until I get a new computer or do a clean install some time n the future. I guess I'm not ready to migrate to a new account, so I'll probably install the 32-bit version of Bridge CS6 for now.

Just thought you all should know that there is a fix if you're willing to create a new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to share my own solution to this issue: Bridge Favorites.

I discovered that ANY Favorites set up in Bridge, causes Bridge to rescan all those locations at every startup.  If you have "Computer" as a favorite, for example, Bridge will go through every drive located in your My Computer - USB direct-connect, flash, network mapped - in an attempt to rebuild its index.  I discovered that this was my problem: the extreme delays come from Bridge's attempt to re-index every location saved as a Favorite.

What worked for me was to delete every location except those that were needed with special emphasis towards deleting direct-access drive shortcuts (unless I really needed them).  I deleted Computer, I deleted My Documents, I deleted everything except the actual folders to specific photo storage locations and ONE drive-direct favorite - my SD card reader (drive G:).  Then I went into the preferences and compacted the cache in order to delete all thumbnails that Bridge lost access to now that I deleted all those extraneous Favorite locations (also use this opportunity to check cache size and confirm that it is set as large/small as you need it to be to handle your image storage load).

Bingo!  No more delays - in combination with using Bridge 32-bit and this process, both Bridge and Photoshop now run smooth and fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't agree with you.I have 10 favorites showing and my Bridge opens at different speeds, depending in what folder I had been working last. If the last folder visited contains 1000 pictures, Bridge will opens slower than if I worked in one with only 200 pictures

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

Bridge was not responding at all. Couldn't use keyboard shortcuts or run slideshow to review.

I had placed a favorite to a networked attached storage computer into my favorites panel. That computer has been offline for about a week. I managed to remove all favorites in the preferences and dragged the favorite I created out of the favorites into the trash. Bridge clicked back into gear and works.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!. I noticed that while waiting for Building Criteria on CS6 Bridge, that my optical drive was inoperative, ie the draw wouldn't move and that there was something going on. After Criteria was built I went into Control Panel - Device Manager and disabled the optical drive (reversible). I then closed and reopened Bridge. It now works perfectly. I can only assume that the the Bridge caching and that which is probably used by the optical drive were somehow overlapping in memory.

However, this means I no longer have an optical drive.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"SOLVED!. I noticed that while waiting for Building Criteria on CS6 Bridge, that my optical drive was inoperative, ie the draw wouldn't move and that there was something going on. After Criteria was built I went into Control Panel - Device Manager and disabled the optical drive (reversible). I then closed and reopened Bridge. It now works perfectly. I can only assume that the the Bridge caching and that which is probably used by the optical drive were somehow overlapping in memory.

However, this means I no longer have an optical drive. "

No, not at all.  You DON'T have to lose access to your optical drive:  don't turn it off, delete any and all reference to the drive inside Bridge itself!

See my post regarding this several posts above yours.  Delete the optical drive favorite in Bridge as well as ANY Favorite link that may reference your optical drive. like the My Computer favorite.

Then clear and reset your cache, shut down Bridge and restart.  Things should work smoothly from there!  If so, you can then turn your optical drive back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed everything from Favorites (at tab I never use) and that worked like a charm. Bridge is useful, but it has such lame issues. Broken GIF previews, no SVG previews. And this performance-killing previews idiocy that users are left to work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines