• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horrible thumbnail/preview performance, constant 100% CPU usage and freeze-ups, tried everything

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I have rolled back to version 9.1.0 and this problem is gone. Not sure what was broken in the later updates, but it makes the app borderline unusable. Hopefully I don't get force-updated out of this (working) version.

So for the last several months, Bridge CC has had terrible performance, with preview/thumbnail generation taking much longer than it ever did in the past, using 100% of CPU resources while doing so, constantly locking up and even locking up overall system function, even with Bridge.exe set to low priority.

This happens on both systems I use (an i7-4790/24GB/GTX 980 desktop, and a i7-4712/16GB/Quadro K1100M laptop). Both are using SSD for storage.

I have:

Cleared bridge cache.

Added dedicated bridge cache SSD to desktop system (no other use)

Updated all CC software to newest versions as available

Done clean installations of CC software, graphics drivers on both systems

Tried "prefer embedded" thumbnails (has no appreciable effect)

Turned off exporting cache to folders

Turned off high-quality previews

Turned off 100% previews

Turned off preview panel

Turned off favorites panel

Read numerous support threads and tried long-shot fixes like removing windows favorites folders and random registry fixes.

I am at my absolute wit's end with this piece of software. Not sure what has changed, but after over a decade-plus of use, I am ready to cancel my CC subscription and take my business elsewhere.

For instance, I just did a fresh Cache purge after the latest CC updates today, and opened a folder of 1200 D850 NEF files. The system sat at 100% CPU (99.8% of it Bridge) with Bridge consuming 14GB RAM, for about 20 minutes before the folder was able to browse or be used. Or the entire PC for that matter, as even with Bridge set to low priority, mouse movement and click recognition was very hit and miss.

What could I possibly be missing here? Or is this piece of software I've relied on for many years just dead and broken?

I don't like the interface of Lightroom Classic, not interested in changing to that for my needs.

Let's not even mention the new ACR "preset" system and what a new headache that is [/facepalm]

TOPICS
Camera RAW , Crash or freeze , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?