• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I migrate the data (rating, label, collections) from Adobe Bridge?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my understanding, the ratings, labels and collections are associated with Adobe Bridge only, which means they are not going to affect on Finder. So I am wondering, how can I migrate the data from one Mac to another? Thinking about, if I need to edit, review, open the same files from an external drive at both office computer and home computer.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Collections work on one computer only.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Bridge, Lightroom, and Photoshop write out industry-standard IPTC metadata, so when Bridge embeds keywords, captions, etc. into a photo, many other non-Adobe applications on Mac, Windows, etc. can see and edit that metadata. Or, if you used Bridge to embed keywords into a JPEG photo and then uploaded the photo to a web site like Flickr that sees and displays IPTC metadata, the keywords would show up on the photo's Flickr web page. All very standard.

But the problem with Apple tags is that they

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Labels and ratings are written into the file metadata. Collections are files stored in your user Application Support folder, but those won't be understood by any other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, if I understand you correcntly, reagarding labels and ratings, since they are written into the metadata, which means I can use Bridge open the same file from different computer, and I should be able to see the same labels and ratings, right?

However, regarding about the "collections", if i need to operate files, folders from different computers, how can I endure that I could be able to see the same collections (of course, both computers use Bridge)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A regular collection is a text file filled with file paths. It will only work on another computer if everything is structured exactly the same. This is much easier on the a Mac because drive letters aren't used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you. If I may understood you correclty, it seems even I've been working with 2 computers at 2 offices, which imakes no-sense to keep both "collections" synchronously consistance, because any slightly differnece will make either one the inadequacy. Therefore, the collection function may more make sense for the local organization instead of cross-the-platform. Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collections work on one computer only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this clafirication is really helpful.

Still some regards on ratings and labels. Are they written in all the files' metadata? How about .pdf, .wav, or .mp3, etc? Would all the files have metadata? I thought only pictures have.

Since the labels look adhering with colors, I'm wondering, are "label" in someway connected with "Tag" on Finder on Mac (It's also colored)?

Last question, is Bridge the only App could reveal these data (ratings and labels)? Can I also see them on Finder?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finder tags and XMP labels are not related. You can check a file with the File Info command in bridge, look at the Raw tab to see everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I kindly ask, where to check File Info command in Bridge, and how to look at the Raw tab? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yanxing,

Sure, the File Info is the last selection in the File menu (be sure to have an image selected or it will be grayed out. 

Once you have the File Info showing you can click on the various tabs to see what is kept where. I'm sorry to say that looking at the raw data (last tab) is a bit challenging, but do check out the other tabs as they may show you want you want.

2020-03-24_14-47-02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. What I wanted to see was the "colored tag" from Finder on Mac OS, I'm wondering if I still can figure out which files are colored on Blue (e.g.) on my Mac, so I'm not sure if Bridge still can give me the chance. Imagine that I'm a new user on Bridge, I catagoried almost everything direclty from Finder over years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge, Lightroom, and Photoshop write out industry-standard IPTC metadata, so when Bridge embeds keywords, captions, etc. into a photo, many other non-Adobe applications on Mac, Windows, etc. can see and edit that metadata. Or, if you used Bridge to embed keywords into a JPEG photo and then uploaded the photo to a web site like Flickr that sees and displays IPTC metadata, the keywords would show up on the photo's Flickr web page. All very standard.

But the problem with Apple tags is that they don't correspond to any other metadata standard, or at least I don't think they do. Very few Mac applications support them. I use them sometimes, knowing full well that they're Apple-only. I do find them useful for preserving organizational info across my Mac and iPad, since iOS supports Apple tags, e.g. in the Files app.

I don't know if there is any application where Apple tags and IPTC metadata are used together or translated. For example, Apple Photos is like Bridge and other Mac and Windows photo applications in that it can read and write standard IPTC metadata, but I don't think even Apple's own Photos application knows what to do with Apple tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, you have made a valued point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps more than you wanted/needed to know:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2016/08/metaconfusion-apple-finder-tags-vs-keyword-metadata.html

Although I wrote the blogpost with regards to the confusion between Finder Tags vs. Keywords/Subject metadata, it also applies to Bridge/Lightroom labels.

It will depend on various software on what metadata and other internal file information are shown. Perhaps the most comprehensive tool is ExifTool which shows more than just EXIF data, where the following command will show all metadata that the software can read.

Mac Terminal.app command line example:

exiftool -a -G1 -s -u 'path/to/file or folder/here.tif'

Windows CMD prompt command line example:

exiftool -a -G1 -s -u "C:\path\to\file or folder\here.tif"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines