Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove a number sequence using batch rename

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I know I've done this in the past but cannot seem to work it out today.

I have a series of images "_####_[layercompName].png".  I would like to remove the underscores and numbers.  The underscores removal is easy, but how do I remove the numbers (####) when they are different for each filename?  I would like the end result to be [layercompName].png

The reason I have these filenames in the first place is that I have run the photoshop script "layer comps to files", and this adds a number sequence prefix.  I have tried to alter the script following various instructions I've found from trawling the internet (this one included How do you remove the number sequence when exporting layer comps to files? CS6. Windows 8.) but without any luck.  So now I'm resorting to batch renaming in Bridge.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Batch , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

If you are referring to the “code” that is typed in once the “use regular expression” checkbox has been ticked:

Regular expression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also known as GREP or RegEx for short.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

As long as the pattern of your existing filenames is consistent, these should work.

To remove the last _ and the characters after it

gregreser_0-1708017824274.png

To change _+ to -  

gregreser_1-1708017994244.png

Click the Preview button to confirm everything is correct, including the file extention, before you run it. Also, select the "Preserve current filename in XMP" option so you can revert back in case there is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

@yuri5 – I like the answer from @gregreser – however, here is another equivalent method for the regular expression find and replace using capture groups:

Find:

(^.+?\+)(.+)(-)(.+)(_\+)(.{2})(.+)(\.[^\.]+$)

Or perhaps "better", Find:

(^.+?\+)(.+)(-)(.+)(_\+)(.+)(_.+)(\.[^\.]+$)

Replace with:

$2_$4-$6$8

2024-02-16_22-22-13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but how do I remove the numbers (####) when they are different for each filename? I would like the end result to be .png

Try Batch Rename String substitution.

Assuming your only numbers used are in the sequence number you could try to add a criteria for each number using the plus sign. So 1 for 0, another for 1, then 2, etc etc. Leave the replacement empty and if you add the underscore to the list it should be possible to do so in one go.

But for security first back up the files before messing around with it because same filenames overwrite each other often!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go, taken straight from: DesignEasy: How to Remove Sequence Numbers and Empty Spaces When Exporting Layers and Layer Comps

1. Run Adobe Bridge and navigate to the folder with exported files.
  2. Select all files which have sequence numbers.
  3. Go to Tools > Batch Rename.
  4. Choose: String Substitution from the first drop-down list in New Filenamessection. From the second drop-down choose: Original Filename. In the Find: text field type: _\d{4}_ (underscore, backslash, letter d, open bracket, number four, closed bracket, underscore). Leave Replace with: text field blank. Ensure that you have Replace All and Use Regular Expression checked as shown on the screenshot below.
  5. Click on the Preview button in the top right corner and ensure that files will be renamed as you want.
  6. Click on Rename button and you are done.

Batch rename dialog with options to remove sequence numbers

In case you are first time doing this and you still have doubts if everything will work as expected, check Copy to other folder option when renaming files. This option is located near the top left corner under: Destination Folder.

Destination folder option

Another thing I want to mention is to remove everything that you have below String Substitution options. In case you see additional renaming options just click on minus (-) sign on the right side to remove them.

Remove options below string substitution

How to remove/substitute empty spaces in the file name using Adobe Bridge

It is pretty similar process. The only difference is that you should type: \s (backslash followed with letter s) in the Find: text field. You can leave Replace with: text field blank or to type underscore.

Remove empty spaces from the file name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! This is what i looked for Could i ask you for one more thing? What do those numbers mean? Is it some kind of script language? Thanks

Ofcourse88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the “code” that is typed in once the “use regular expression” checkbox has been ticked:

Regular expression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also known as GREP or RegEx for short.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve, that's interesting and i haven't heard about that since now. I am definitely going to go thrue.

Ofcourse88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karffe, there are many sources of information on RegEx on the internet, web pages, interactive tutorials, videos etc. You could start by searching the Adobe Bridge and InDesign forums for the terms Regular Expression/RegEx (Bridge) and GREP (InDesign) for specific uses.

A general internet search for the same keywords will kick up a whole lot more. A great interactive tutorial/tester can be found here:

RegExr: Learn, Build, & Test RegEx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this information! I've got a client who always adds a random string of letters and numbers to the end of files but then wants them removed. They always end in _e8 or another set of letter/number. I've tried this code but my guess is it's not working since there are letters? Do you have a suggestion for altering this code to work for this circumstance? Thanks for your help!Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 10.43.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"\d{2}" means two digits (0-9) but a different sequence would not be found. You have to figure out what is common to all of your files, then write a pattern to match. For example, do you always want the last three characters deleted? Is there always an underscore? Etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrewsartistry – As @Lumigraphics wrote, the search pattern that you used does not match your text pattern.

There are many equivalent regex patterns that could be used for your example. Some options include:

regex.png

Find:

(.+)(_.{2})(\.[^\.]+$)

Replace:

$1$3

or

Find:

_.{2}

Replace:

or

Find:

_\w\d

Replace:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot thank you enough virtuaxe. Not only for your solution, but for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! virtuaxe​ do you mind seeing if you can help me with my own issue with this problem?

Before knowing about RegEx + string substitution, I didn't think I'd be able to solve an issue of removing sequence numbers. I've created a thread with my issue here: Sequential reordering error fix?

Basically, I have files exported from Lightroom with sequence numbers appended to the front of the filenames. They used to represent the order of images in a book layout I was doing. When things moved around... I didn't know how to rename all the files at once given they already had sequence numbers in the filenames, and changing even just one file would disrupt everything. I hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately this method doesn't work for me- I've attached a screengrab of my bridge window here. I'm thinking this issue is stemming from the fact that bridge cannot find the original filename in my files, given they were exported from Lightroom and not PS as layer comps.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 11.50.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your files have 3 leading digits, however the regex that you were using was looking for a fixed value of 4 digits. It also appears that you may have mistakenly added a space and an underscore at the beginning. So, if you add a caret ^ at the start and remove the leading space, leading underscore and change {4} to {3} it should work on all 3 digit strings.

The following code does not care how many number of digits, just as long as the filename starts with 1 or more digits and ends in an _ underscore (offers greater flexibility than hard coding in a specific number of fixed digits).

There are at least two valid approaches (notice the syntax highlighting to help understand what is going on):

Find: ^\d+_

Replace:

(blank, nothing)

regex.png

Find: (^\d+_)(.+)

Replace: $2

regex2.png

P.S. It is usually a wise move to tick the box “Preserve current filename in XMP metadata” so that it is easy to undo the batch rename if something goes wrong (also use the preview button on the upper right to preview all files, rather than just the single file preview at the foot of the interface).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read all the posts, however, there use to be a way to manipulate the actual PSD code in the LIB.Html file so you can easily do an export to files and the sequence numbers would not apply.  You would need to do it everytime PSD Updated. Does anyone have that information?  I can't find my original code file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Though I am chiming in here 1,127 days late and a dollar short, I am experiencing a problem similar to those of the previous posts. Due to a lack of knowledge in coding, I could not use the solutions you provided to solve my problem so am writing to you with the hopes you will catch this.

I too have a sequence of numbers and letters I want to remove from my filenames, of which there are hundreds. I understand the basics of how to do a batch rename but my aforementioned lack of coding seems to be tying me up.

Basically, the existing filenames that are in the following format:
A2R1037VA3258_0000000a_20200923_232324.mp4
A2R1037VA3258_0000000b_20200924_000528.mp4

A2R1037VA3258_0000002a_20200924_023056.mp4

A2R1037VA3258_0000002f_20200924_024453.mp4

A2R1037VA3258_0000003a_20200924_030551.mp4

Similar to a previous post, there is a sequence of numbers which changes. The sequence beings with a series of zeros and ends with a number and lowercase letter. I want to remove the number/letter sequences before the "DATE_TIME", resulting in the files being named:
20200923_232324.mp4

20200924_000528.mp4

20200924_023056.mp4

20200924_024453.mp4

20200924_030551.mp4

...and so on.

I was so close to finding the solution...help me, Stephen Marsh-Kenobi. You're my only hope!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can search for everything before the second underscore and delete that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but the problem is that the numbers after the first underscore are all different, so how are they searched for and removed/changed without going one by one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what regular expressions are for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone I had searched a lot but can't find solution to this problem.

The final name should be this "A16228_0IAJH_100-50"

what do I need to add? I'm going crazy

yuri5_0-1708009012333.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For one file, just rename it. For MULTIPLE files, you HAVE TO find a pattern. What is the pattern that matches the other files you want to rename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for the response, a list like that

P-CROWN-Q1+A16070-0HAYT_9XX_+50_1.png
T-ADJUST-Q9+A16066-0GRAI_9XX_+51_2.png
F-SLIMMY-IND+A16228-0IAJH_100_+50_1.png

should become something like this

A16070_0HAYT_9XX_+50.png
A16066_0GRAI_9XX-51.png
A16228_0IAJH_100-50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry like this

A16070_0HAYT_9XX+50.png
A16066_0GRAI_9XX-51.png
A16228_0IAJH_100-50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i mean this

A16070_0HAYT_9XX-50.png
A16066_0GRAI_9XX-51.png
A16228_0IAJH_100-50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the pattern of your existing filenames is consistent, these should work.

To remove the last _ and the characters after it

gregreser_0-1708017824274.png

To change _+ to -  

gregreser_1-1708017994244.png

Click the Preview button to confirm everything is correct, including the file extention, before you run it. Also, select the "Preserve current filename in XMP" option so you can revert back in case there is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yuri5 – I like the answer from @gregreser – however, here is another equivalent method for the regular expression find and replace using capture groups:

Find:

(^.+?\+)(.+)(-)(.+)(_\+)(.{2})(.+)(\.[^\.]+$)

Or perhaps "better", Find:

(^.+?\+)(.+)(-)(.+)(_\+)(.+)(_.+)(\.[^\.]+$)

Replace with:

$2_$4-$6$8

2024-02-16_22-22-13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines