Exit

Preview Panel does not show scaled images

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge 9.1.0.338

Mac OS 10.14.5 (iMac Pro)

In previous versions of Bridge, I could preview any file type in the Preview Panel... and these would fill the screen space available on screen within the preview panel. This gave me large previews, which looked great!

Now (with the latest version of Bridge, which I'm running on an iMac Pro), all Bridge shows me are smaller / fixed size preview thumbnails (where I cannot see any level of detail).

Does anyone know how to make the preview panel show my content at a larger scale?

Or is there a way to change this (scale the preview panel output)?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into your preferences>Advanced and check the box for "Generate Monitor-Sized Previews"

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.29.46 PM.png

Then go into the tab for Cache, and check the box for "Keep 100% Previews in Cache.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.30.03 PM.png

Then under Cache Management, Click on "Purge All Local Cache Files.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.33.11 PM.png

Now Bridge will regenerate all of your cache files and do the previews at 100% size and they will work like you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the advice, I've just tried following these steps... but unfortunately this hasn't solved it for me with the iMac Pro.

Here's what it looks like on my old iMac 27" screen (resolution 2560 x 1440)

Bridge 2017 (Mac OS 10.10.5)

You will see the Artboard of an A3 Document below fills the preview panel (which is good):

old-Bridge-2017-iMac-OS-10.10.5.png

And here's what it looks like on a 2018 Mac Mini (monitor resolution 3440 x 1440)

Latest Bridge (Mac OS 10.14.2)

The Artboard also fills the preview panel and scales in size (which is good):

new-Bridge-MacMini-OS-10.14.2-3440x1440display.png

So here's my issue with the Preview Panel not scaling (specifically with Illustrator files) on a 2019 iMac Pro.

The iMac Pro screen is a 5K display (5120x2880) but I have my resolution set to 2560 x 1440)

Latest Bridge (Mac OS 10.14.5)

You can see the Artboard does not scale to fill the space / the thumbnail size is fixed at this size (not good):

new-Bridge-iMacPro-OS-10.14.5-2560x1440display.png

PS. The preview panel works OK for JPEG images, but for AI / (illustrator) EPS files it seems to be missing something / or is fixed in scale.

Are there any other work around / tips to get the Preview Panel to display larger on an iMac Pro screen?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is; you still have some files that generate small previews and Bridge can only display what it is given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not change the problem described by the post above. Can you explain why some photos do generate monitor size previews regardless of these settings? Original to small ppi or physical size? How to fix? I need to do a demo for a class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the issue solved?  I'm having a similar problem.  Which keeps me from using Adobe Bridge.  I ended up using the finder to preview images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue in 2021. Is there a solution to the problem. I just switched to a Mac Book Pro and using a 2021 version of Bridge. I know my InDesign preview were small before which was totally fine. I could see enough to know if I need to open them or not. I was on a mac mini with the 2020 version of Bridge. Seeking a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Preview image in Bridge has two limitations: one is that it can only show an image UP TO 100% of the actual image size. So if you have an image that is (say) 5000 pixels wide, it's very likely to fill up your screen. But if you have an image that is (say) 500 pixels wide, it will not fill up the screen whether you are viewing in Preview pane, Space bar, or any other option.

The 2nd issue is that on files such as Illustrator, InDesign, or PDF files, it will only be as big as the thumbnails generated by those applications (as you have discovered). The reason for this is that these applications are structured to be vector based content and when rasterized, there is a default resolution to the file of 72 dpi (very very low) and that's the only way that the image will be viewed as sharp (a very small image). If they were "allowed" to show at any size, they will appear blurry.

For example, you can see this in Illustrator where, when saving the image, you can turn off saving it as a PDF Compatible File which WILL allow the page's image to show up full sized (any size) in the Preview pane of Bridge, but it will be dreadfully fuzzy as one would expect it to be as it has 72 dpi resolution. And, since Bridge can only show raster images, that's the best you're going to see.

So unless Bridge can display vector images (and that's not going to happen in our lifetime), this is the best you're going to get. Very sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines