• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to batch rename, have first file as a number, the rest sequential alphabetical

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't seem to figure this one out! The database I'm working with has a rule that the first image needs to be numerical and the rest of the image span to be sequential alphabetical.

For example, I'll have these images:

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

and need to rename them for whatever the UPC is, for example:

982371818.jpg

982371818a.jpg

982371818b.jpg

982371818c.jpg

982371818d.jpg

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

You really need a script for this. Is there a list of what files use what filenames? I have a rename script that I use in production, this is a modified version that will accept an input and rename selected files based on that. You could enumerate as many variants as you needed.

#target bridge

if(BridgeTalk.appName == 'bridge'){

FT = MenuElement.create('command', 'Rename', 'at the end of Tools');

FC = MenuElement.create('command', 'Rename', 'after Thumbnail/Open', this.menuID);

}

FT.onSele

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without a script, the only way to do that is to manually rename the first file, then use the batch rename to do the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a script solution if possible. I have over 800 UPC tied image sets to work on.  That way would double the workload, but appreciate the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to Chuck’s second suggestio, I’d just select one file then batch rename without the sequential alpha character/s.

Then invert the selection and batch rename again, adding the sequential alpha.

Should be pretty fast to do with keyboard shortcuts and presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 2400 images and there are over 800 image sets. How can I invert the selection? I understand the batch rename for the singular image but don't know what you mean by inverting the selection to name the rest. Thanks for any additional input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get the UPC number? Is it a folder name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you did not mention that to begin with! The better the info provided the better the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the batch rename for the singular image but don't know what you mean by inverting the selection to name the rest.

Perhaps pictures will clarify...

1. Rename single file:

1.png

2. Invert the single selected file in order to select all other files in the folder:

2.png

3. Rename the remaining files with sequential letter, if there are more than 26 the batch rename will cycle through from the beginning using double letters, such as aa, bb, cc etc:

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, how many images do you have within a set of UPC codes? 27 or less?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need a script for this. Is there a list of what files use what filenames? I have a rename script that I use in production, this is a modified version that will accept an input and rename selected files based on that. You could enumerate as many variants as you needed.

#target bridge

FC = MenuElement.create('command', 'Rename', 'after Thumbnail/Open', this.menuID);

}

FT.onSelect = function(){

Renamer1();

}

FC.onSelect = function(){

Renamer1();

}

function Renamer1(){

app.synchronousMode = true;

var thumbs = app.document.selections;

var newName = '';

var newNameU = '';

var Title = [];

var counter = 0;

var variant = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'];

try{

newName = prompt('Enter part number');

if(newName != null){

newNameU = newName.toUpperCase();

for (var a in thumbs){

var selectedFile = thumbs.spec;

Title = selectedFile.name;

Title = (Title.split( '.' ))[0];

thumbs.name = thumbs.name.toUpperCase();

thumbs.name = newNameU + variant[(counter)] + '.jpg';

counter++;

thumbs.name = thumbs.name.toUpperCase();

}

}

}

catch(e){

}

app.document.refresh();

app.synchronousMode = false;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give this a try!

So how it works is the client gives me a spreadsheet that has three columns. One is the UPC, Title Description (not important on my end) and the image span. For Example:

UPC                    Description                    Image Number

982371818      Fleece Blanket         2013-2017

All 2400 images are in the same folder. To answer a few other individuals questions the image sequences are under 27 images. They are usually 8-15 images per UPC.

So for this section of the script, I would just keep adding letters to it, perhaps the max images I believe would correlate up to Z if needed yet?

var variant = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z];

I appreciate everyone's input on this so far. I've been a designer for over a decade and have recently been getting into larger scale production levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, I modified your script, and it's working, THANK YOU!!!!

Here's what I ended up doing. Since I needed the first one to just be the digits I marked the first variant as nothing followed alphabetically, example:

'', 'a', 'b', 'c',

all the way to Z.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two more questions

1. How can I assign a hotkey to the script now? I know how to create them in PS but not seeing this option in Bridge? I am using Windows 10.

2. For the script, would there be something I can add to the existing script that will select the copy the first image to another folder within the same directory?

For Example:

Main Directory:

9831983.jpg

9831983a.jpg

9831983b.jpg

9831983c.jpg

9831983d.jpg

Main Directory>Thumbails:

9831983.jpg

I've made an adjustment to the code and the first step is working well with my modifications, just realized about the above part in mention:

#target bridge

}

FT.onSelect = function(){

Renamer1();

}

FC.onSelect = function(){

Renamer1();

}

function Renamer1(){

app.synchronousMode = true;

var thumbs = app.document.selections;

var newName = '';

var newNameU = '';

var Title = [];

var counter = 0;

var variant = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z'];

try{

newName = prompt('REF NUMBER');

if(newName != null){

newNameU = newName.toLowerCase();

for (var a in thumbs){

var selectedFile = thumbs.spec;

Title = selectedFile.name;

Title = (Title.split( '.' ))[0];

thumbs.name = newNameU + variant[(counter)] + '.jpg';

counter++;

}

}

}

catch(e){

}

app.document.refresh();

app.synchronousMode = false;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move files with a script as well, and you could even read and parse the CSV file. If I was doing thousands of these I would likely do that instead of manually typing it in.

if(!Folder('foldername').exists){

Folder('foldername').create();

}

thumbs.copyTo('foldername');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Hey I tried that script and it's saying that thumbs is not undefined. I tried messing around with it and can't seem to define it. I want to move the first file that does not have any alphabetical characters. Is that the full script I should use that you provided?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just the syntax you would use. You'll need to add it to the existing script or write the rest of it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for being too needy but I tried to do it several different ways and it kept throwing me errors. Where would I add this to the existing script? I don't know this too well 😕 So with that script let's say the root folder is JPEG I'm working in and I need the first image of each set to be moved to THUMBNAIL within the existing script? This is all new to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Extendscript is an offshoot of Javascript so it works the same way.

You need to declare any variables and then figure out what value they have. You can get the parent folder of your current image and create that new folder as needed.

You may want to download the Bridge SDK, it is really helpful in working with scripts. Adobe Bridge SDK & Scripting guides for developers | Adobe I/O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this thread to the Bridge Scripting forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines