Terrible changes to Camera Raw editing

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely hate the updated Camera Raw editing.    Very user-unfriendly!!!  Please change it back.  I was in the middle of working on wedding pictures when the update happened.   All of a sudden my workflow slowed to a crawl.  To have to figure out where everything is.

PLEASE CHANGE CAMERA RAW EDITING BACK!!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by gary_sc | Adobe Community Professional

You can download an earlier version from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

However, ACR will not be going back to that form. This is intended to make the transition from Lightroom to ACR and back smoother for users so what you see is what it will be in the future.

I suggest you go back until you your editing and then update to the new one to get used to it. Yes, it's different, very different, but it does have its merits. 

Topics

Camera RAW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't go back. previous ACR version does not work with the new Bridge. At least on my system. For my 10 years expereience this is the worst update ever. I'm looking at alternative softwares like capture one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can revert to the previous version of Camera Raw 12.2.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Also downgrade Bridge to 10.0.4

Harmony restored

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Had issues trying to get it to work yesterday, but this morning it installed just fine. What a terrible update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this but the problem is that we won't be able to get updates in the future unless we switch to the sucky new version. Such a shame Adobe made this move

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably the worst update I have ever seen from Adobe
If their intention is to force me to like Lightroom then happy to move to alternative software because I am just not interested.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version is terrible - I hope Adobe will 'fix' this quickly.  I just reverted back to the prioer ACR and now i do not see camera raw files as thrumbnails in Bridge.  Thnakfully I shoot both Raw and JPOG so I can at least see what I am opening - and it will open the raw file thankfully - but what an awful update.  I was never a lightroom fan - and to force it on me [us] was a mistake.   I could maybe live withthe new format only if the crop tool was reverted back - I generated a video showing how inefficient it is and am hoping the right audience will see it at Adobe.  I am all for changes that are good - but there is nothing good about this one that I can see.  I think they need to revert this update until they can 'fix' it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more!
Over complicated, too much like lightroom which in my opinion is super in
efficient. I reverted back to the older update and will not be using the
new interface.. Major fail!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have to rollback Bridge too?  I am finding I am no longer seeing mrad files as thumbnails now.

What a mess!

M.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes back to 10.0.4

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary...  I must respectfully say, "Wrong Answer" with respect to how we are supposed to get used to the new ACR.  The comments that I am seeing areall in alignment that the interface is not a welcome change and to force a Lightroom interface on people who have no use for that application was a mistake.

I think users would agree that a better answer would have been that the feedback will be taken back to Adobe and that some changes would likely be forthcoming. 

Those changes could be one of the following...

An easy way to revert back to a working version of ACR 

Offer a dual way of using the crop tool just like it is done now in PS to allow for the new ACR to be usable for cropping.

I do not like the new format but will be willing to live with it and adapt but only if the crop tool  is 'fixed' as right now it is effectively broken.  To get the functional cropping needed you must save as a smart object and bring it into PS to crop then go back to ACR to finish the edit.  That extra step is not an improvement by any means.

I know you are in a tough position to publically have to defend the new interface but I sincerely hope you will channel your efforts toward affecting the needed change.

Thank you in advance . .and I have a feeling I am speaking for many.

Respectfully,  Mike Leonard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MainMike,

Thanks for being pleasant (especially in these times!). (This is mildly long so please read it all.)

First, just to be clear, I am not an Adobe employee. I try to help folks in these forums because I've been doing this stuff a long time and have enough experience to help some folks, can't others because of limited experience and/or knowledge of potential answers.

Here's the background of my answer (and I have no idea who marked my answer correct). I've been a Mac user since 1985 and an Adobe user since around 1998. I've watched bad software become better and great software go down the tubes. I've seen great software bought by companies who's sole purpose was to kill the software and poor software bought by companies to make it better. For over 20 years I wrote reviews of software (unfortunately the various places I wrote for died, changed hands and died, or simply went different ways).

I say all that because I know that unless 100s of thousands of users complain about something small, it might make a difference. If twice that number complain about something big, like this change to ACR, it won't make a difference.

Like it or not, Adobe is very invested in the world of Lightroom: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Web, Lightroom Classic, and Lightroom Mobile. As you probably know, Lightroom is ACR with a database, that's the core of lightroom. I'm going to guess is that a major focus of this change was to allign how they look and act. The number of folks who absolutely completely totally can't stand LR is not as big as those who either dislike it or are not enamored with it. If everyone in the former category were to take their ball and go home, it would not show up on Adobe's books. 

And again, I'm not saying I approve of all this, I'm just talking facts as I see them. YOMV.

All this goes into a general theme for life: "pick your battles." Having Adobe go back to the original structure of ACR is not going to happen. Hopefully other changes will happen.

MEANWHILE, maybe I can help you on your cropping: what's the issue. As far as I can tell, it's no different than the way it was. Press "c" to go to Crop mode and crop. If the aspect ratio is stuck, change the dropdown to "Custom," and do what you want.

2020-06-28_12-53-47.png

As far as that grid goes, this is something I hope they make "better." By this I mean that the way to change the grid that you see is not in Crop mode. To change that Grid you have to go OUT of Grid mode and on the bottom right is a small grid that if you click on it you can see on the very top of the screen in the middle the option to change the size of the grid and the opacity. That is so dumb to have a feature thrust at you with no way to control it outside of going out of the tool that's showing the grid to change/adjust the grid.

2020-06-28_12-49-47.png

IF ANYTHING is the kind of thing that they are more likely to fix, this is one of them. But to revert back to the previous ACR? Ain't going to happen.

If these do not solve your cropping issues, please let me know, and please supply me with some specifics because your message gave me no details. I was just winging it here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unhappy about this change as well.  I've been a Mac User from the 80's as well, and PS user that long too.  I do not like LR as it takes too long with its database type stuff is so confusing, and I have not had time to even try to learn it. I have a very busy virtual tour business, and these days my real estate agents are counting on me to quickly get these pics out for virtual walkthroughs.  Anyway, this new interface did make me slow down, and agents got very angry with me.  I also missed some photos in the wee hours of the morning - as I edit till about 2 AM after a long day of shooting. On the old interface, I would go to bridge to select "star" my photos to edit and to use as my ambient shots as well. I do what we call "flambient".  I quickly discovered I was unable to select my starred images from Bridge when I was in edit mode.  I have to get out of bridge and go to my desk view to be able to select the starred images. I missed several.  Its annoying so hopefully they will fix that if I HAVE TO get used to this interface!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know that Adobe is never going back to my beloved classic  ACR layout. 

That being the case, it's time for me to set sail and check out other options. This new "Adobe Camera Raw Lightroom" has voided the great pleasure I had using ACR; and replaces it with the urge to put my fist through my monitor.  

Sure, Adobe is invested user-unfriendly Lightroom. But I have been happily invested in classic ACR.

Who's paying whom? I get no monthly checks from Adobe.

My mother used to make the best ambrosia in the world. I loved it. Then she decided good enough wasn't, and started adding coconut to it. I never ate her ambrosia again. Thanks, Adobe, for adding coconut to the ACR.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why change ACR to suit Lightroom User and screw it up fot Bridge and Photoshop users
ACR i am sure was primarily used in Bridge and Photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are they making it the same as Lightroom? It really makes no sense. If I liked that kind of layout I would have made the switch to Lightroom a long time ago. But the fact is I really dislike working in Lightroom and love Camera Raw, but now unfortunatelly they made it the same - it's terrible. I have reverted back to the older version of Camera Raw but I am sad I will not be able to update in the future. I might just make the switch to Capture One at that point. But I hope Adobe is better than that and they give us an option to keep the old interface and also get new processing engine updates when they come. I really hope that. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines