• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, btw, clearing caches, resetting preferences, creating new folders, renaming folders and all of that did NOT solve the problem for me so I am not surprised it has not solved the problem for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

I will be forced to convert to DNG

Rather long thread and not sure if this issue has been addressed.  If you have a CR2, with the re-caching problem using ACR 7.3 and convert to DNG 7.3 does the problem go away?  If it does it may give an indication it is how the metadata is stored rather than the metadata itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post. It eliminates processor family as a suspect. I expected that to be so but until you actually check....!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please someone try this with DNG and raw 7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo,

If no one tries this you could download DNG 7.3, convert a folder you had problems with in ACR 7.3 and see if it has same re-caching problems when you edit metadata.

Have never used DNG but believe it will create a seperate folder of DNG images so will not affect you current setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

If you have a CR2, with the re-caching problem using ACR 7.3 and convert to DNG 7.3 does the problem go away?

I tried this last December in my initial experiments.  I observed the same re-caching problem with the dng files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I convert all of my raws to DNG upon import, so converting to DNG appears not to solve the problem.  Also, if it matters, I keep 100% previews in the cache, and I export the cache to folders when possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone here with the problem also runs DxO Pro, what happens with their dng's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

I suppose it's too much to ask Yammer, but I would really like to see if you have problems with 7.4 on your new computer. I am also in the process of upgrading two computers and it would be interesting to see if the problem exists on your new one, and it's configuration as well.

7.4 is out now, and I have it installed. I will see how it affects Bridge. But, I am still bedding-in my new build, which was running on CR 7.1, so it might take a while. I have already had to completely purge the cache once since reinstalling everything (😞 for some reason Bridge had stopped generating HQ thumbnails (unless set to Always), even using Tools > Cache > Build. I had a similar problem once before, with a Lumix GF2, where the Build tool had no effect. Give me strength.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yammer P,

I have never used exported cache as it takes more HD space, you end up with a seperate cache file in each folder, and you have to purge the external cache by manually visiting each folder.

From what I read the external cache is not used in day to day operation as stated in Adobe Factsheet "The first time Adobe Bridge views a folder, it checks for the existence of an exported cache. If it finds an exported cache, Adobe Bridge imports all the entries into its central cache. After that, Adobe Bridge only deals with the central cache for that folder; any new or modified thumbnails or metadata is stored in the central cache. If Automatically Export Cache To Folders When Possible is selected, Adobe Bridge also updates the exported cache with the newly generated or updated thumbnails or metadata. But Bridge does not read exported cache data for that folder since the folder exists in the central cache."

They say "It comes into play when multiple instances of Adobe Bridge -- on the same or different computers -- view the folder"

Do you find it useful?

reference http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/cache-bridge-cs4-cs5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Yammer P,

I have never used exported cache as it takes more HD space, you end up with a seperate cache file in each folder, and you have to purge the external cache by manually visiting each folder.

Neither have I.

Tools > Cache > Build and Export can be used to just build the internal cache. It can be quicker to do it this way, leaving it to build the cache for say half an hour, than build individual files and folders caches on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yammer P wrote:

Tools > Cache > Build and Export can be used to just build the internal cache. It can be quicker to do it this way, leaving it to build the cache for say half an hour, than build individual files and folders caches on demand.

OK, I actually clicked on it and see there is an option to export to folder or not.  I have always used search to build cache, with "include non-indexed files".  Then if I want to stop process note where the cache building process is in lower right hand corner and next time start there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Search with Indexing actually build cache? I would have thought that it just indexes metadata in the central database, and doesn't change the image cache at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is always my impression that indexing and building cache we one of the same.  Not sure how one would verify that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you would see if the thumbnails actually changed after indexing, which I think they don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I JUST got a prompt for updates to both RAW (7.4) and Bridge (5.0.2). I then clicked on each update and all it says is it 'fixes' previous problems. What problems? Who knows. Does anyone have any idea if the thumbnail recalibration problem was addressed????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5.0.2 has been out for weeks.

Here's a list of the bug fixes I have compiled in the ACR forum: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1150299

As for the thumbnail rebuilding problem, I haven't had chance to properly check yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be correct.  Took a folder that did not have the cache built and did a search of folder.  It indexed the sub-folders but did not build the image cache.

Then used Tools/Cache/Build and Export Cache.  Perhaps missing something but you have to do this with every folder, and don't see the difference between that and just visiting the folder, unless you want to force a re-build.  But could also do that with purge cache for xxxx folder and let it rebuild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Then used Tools/Cache/Build and Export Cache.  Perhaps missing something but you have to do this with every folder, and don't see the difference between that and just visiting the folder, unless you want to force a re-build.  But could also do that with purge cache for xxxx folder and let it rebuild.

The big difference is convenience.

I normally have previews set to High Quality on Demand. It's the quickest way to see what photo edits look like.

To update a whole folder, you can momentarily change this to Always High Quality, or you can use the Build Cache tool. I usually do this after I upload a memory card.

To update a whole series of folders at the same time, you can select their root folder and use the Build Cache tool, as it works recursively through each sub-folder.

As I have just rebuilt my computer from scratch, I used this method to rebuild my Bridge cache for all my photos. It took a couple of hours. I watched TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at the bug fixes in 7.4 (since the recalibration problem only started with 7.3) and nothing is listed. So the problem with recalibrating thumbnails when metadata is applied apparently has STILL not been addressed. This is ridiculous. WHEN is this known problem going to be fixed?????? If anyone has a chance to check it out with 7.4, of course please let us know. But you'd think it would have been specifically listed so I'm going to assume it hasn't.

Here is what was listed:

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 7.4:

The following bugs that were part the Camera Raw 7 releases have been corrected. The team appreciates the very detailed feedback the community has provided on Camera Raw 7 and we're excited to correct a number of issues experienced by our customers. These issues have been FIXED:

• Improve interactive performance at intermediate zoom levels (e.g., 33% and 66%).
  • Remove strong color cast when converting images to grayscale.
  • Rendering of floating-point HDR images with unexpected embedded ICC profiles (non-linear gamma).
  • Ensure that local adjustments are synced properly when copying & pasting settings in Bridge.
  • Prevent point curve adjustments from disappearing off the top and bottom when using the arrow keys to adjust curve points.
  • Square tile artifacts while painting with local adjustment brush.
  • Grid overlay artifacts in Lens Correction panel when adjusting crop rectangle.
  • Shortcut (control-click, right-click) to adjust local adjustment brush size and feather size.
  • Local adjustment redrawing incorrectly after selecting a pin.
  • Redraw error with the noise reduction option-drag visualization.
  • Redraw error when local adjustment mouse over rollover mask, etc.
  • Crash when adding a custom input/output values in per-channel RGB point curves.
  • Color casts when using the Camera Calibration saturation sliders.
  • Line artifacts when processing floating-point images with a rotated crop.
  • Crash when using the local adjustment brush. This only occurs on images with a large number of local adjustments and on a system with limited RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug fixes are hard to get as all the time is devoted to new versions.  Even though a problem is identified it has to be reproduced.  And not all users see it.

Can you narrow down what changed between ACR 7.2 and 7.3?  Perhaps ask on the Camera Raw forum.  Jeff Schewe is a key player in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

I took a look at the bug fixes in 7.4 (since the recalibration problem only started with 7.3) and nothing is listed. So the problem with recalibrating thumbnails when metadata is applied apparently has STILL not been addressed.

If it wasn't fixed in ACR 7.4 release candidate it seems unlikely to be added into 7.4 released.  But is problem in ACR? I'd guess  more likely in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think not all fixed bugs are listed in the notes, so at least try things to see if it still occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you, Curt Y, what might be different. All I know is the recalibration problem started when I updated from 7.2 to 7.3 last November. I have posted on the other forum but for the life of me, can't figure out how to easiy get back to it. Guys, I am not some techie. I spent a week trying to replace that .8bi folder and finally had to ask for help from Adobe. I will NOT 'try out' 7.4 because if it doesn't work, I can't easily get back to 7.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is camera raw forum.  http://forums.adobe.com/community/cameraraw?view=discussions&start=30&numResults=30

The more you can narrow down the problem the more likely Adobe will fix it.  It may be a problem with cr2 and ACR, but perhaps Jeff S. will know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines