• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About my friend, yes, he had backed up work he had done on  photos but I am assuming he probably lost emails and that sort of thing. Anyway, the restore solved his problem. On the cloud/etc. I am now beginning to understand why nothing has been done about the RAW problem I have been talking about since November. All of Adobe's efforts have gone into the cloud. On another forum, someone initiated a petition to get Adobe to retain a non cloud version of Photoshop. But here's my take on it...so maybe you might be able to buy a downloaded version. But you still probably won't get updates on any kind of a regular basis. As Yammer P said, CS6 will be, going forward, "one of the few expensive bits of software on sale that you can't expect bug fixes from."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone who managed to replicate the thumbnail recalibration problem signed up for the Cloud with Adobe? And if so, has whatever updates Adobe applied to Photoshop via the Cloud fixed the problem? I can't get a straight answer out of Adobe, itself, and since people reported that the RAW update from 7.3 (where the problem started) to 7.4 did not fix the problem, I am truly afraid of signing up for a program that has automatic, uncontrolled updates if the problem has not been fixed.

Has anybody out there signed up for the Cloud? Has anybody who had seen the recalibration problem been able to determine if the Cloud fixed the problem? As mentioned before, I am on Windows 7 and shooting with Canon 7D and G11. The problem appeared to be triggered by the application of any metadata to an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still on 7.2, and I won't be signing up for the cloud, so this looks like my last version of Photoshop. There is a beta version of Camera Raw 8.1 available which will run on CS6, but I really can't be bothered to test it for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, I considered doing the same since I am stuck on 7.2 because of the recalibration problem. I am hoping someone else out there has gone to the cloud and can tell me if the problem is fixed. There are tools on the new version of Photoshop that look quite useful. There is also a 'loss leader' sale offering the cloud for $10 a month for the first year (then it goes back up to $20 or whatever they will be charging then). The whole idea of forcing folks into a paid monthly subscription makes me quite mad but, sadly, Photoshop is still the best game in town and I truly use the goodies. Thanks for the info on Raw 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. You can get it from labs.adobe.com. You should probably stop calling it "recalibration", and start calling it "regeneration" or "repeat extraction" if you want people to know what on earth you're talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I've been trying to remember the correct term. I will write it down somewhere. Thanks for all your info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe offers a 30-day free CC trial.

www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/free-trial.html

This can be installed without changing your PS CS6 much like cs6 can coexist with cs5 or cs4.  You could try out the Photoshop CC with acr 8 (June, when it ships) and see whether or not you experience the cache regeneration problem on CC/acr8.

Please post if you do try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although, whether CS6 works properly after you uninstall CC is another matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reason to think my original CS6 with all it's preferences and actions would not work correctly after uninstalling CC if I decided to do so? Also, If I try out CC will I be able to retain my preferences and, especially, my actions? I have tried calling Adobe for answers and you can imagine how much success I've had with that. Again, thanks all for your invaluable help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had icon and file association problems after uninstalling Photoshop in the past. I learned to only run one version at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what exactly happened (or was not happening properly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to deactivate CS6 if you do Cloud before CC is introduced.  THe file association problems usually arise when uninstalling a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been able to be more active in this thread. First, I don't work directly with Bridge or ACR development, but have in the past (Br 1-2.1). So I have some insight, albiet a bit more historical at this point, but don't test with these products regularly.

I set up a Win 7 system and checked Br 5.0.1.23 and 5.0.2.4 w/ ACR 8.1 Beta. I still see the (x thumbnail extractions) status show up when revisitiing a directory. This isn't consistent across copied directories, and doesn't seem to be triggered when image settings are stored in the ACR databse, as opposed to in a side car file. I also don't see any change to the thumbnail image, and the interaction doesn't get blocked (I can freely operate inside Bridge without delays).

I'm going to see if I can lean into this a bit more and get some better traction on fixing the behavior.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SG... wrote:

I'm going to see if I can lean into this a bit more and get some better traction on fixing the behavior.

That would be much appreciated, as we have hit a stone wall at this end.

Also, thank you for your continued effort into looking at this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SG... wrote:

I set up a Win 7 system and checked Br 5.0.1.23 and 5.0.2.4 w/ ACR 8.1 Beta. I still see the (x thumbnail extractions) status show up when revisitiing a directory. This isn't consistent across copied directories, and doesn't seem to be triggered when image settings are stored in the ACR databse, as opposed to in a side car file. I also don't see any change to the thumbnail image, and the interaction doesn't get blocked (I can freely operate inside Bridge without delays).

On the chance that these observation may help with problem diagnosis:

This behavior is consistent with what I have observed (in 5.0.2.4).  One trigger I’ve seen is when I’ve added IPTC metadata after acr edits, that is - after there are xmp files with acr metadata.  The other sequence – replace metadata  or add IPTC metadata before any acr edits – has not seemed to trigger the problem.  The thumbs don’t visibly change, which seems appropriate since there was no change to anything in the xmp file affecting the image data itself.  And the regen does appear run lower priority background – minimally interfering with bridge UI-initiated operations.

Another observation: Working in acr 7.2 the above acr edits followed by add IPTC metadata will sometimes trigger a one-time regeneration of thumbs and previews.  The repeated regens started with 7.3.  I recall reported thumb/preview tiff file viewing problems with 7.1 and 7.2 that were fixed in 7.2 and 7.3 (7.2 release notes: [fix for] Certain TIFF files can cause Bridge to become unstable; 7.3 release notes: [fix for] Bridge is unable to show TIFF files).  Perhaps those fixes may have a side effect that triggers cache invalidation from acr (one-time in 7.2, continuous in 7.3), and in 7.3  Bridge is not able to reset the indication (I’ve triggering a mass regen by simply changing star rating of a thumb or two in Bridge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.1 is out now in Help>Updates, and here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

I haven't tested it myself. No one at Adobe seems to have taken ownership of the problem, so I'm not holding my breath. The changelog certainly doesn't mention it.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/camera-raw-8-1-and-dng-converter-8-1-now-available.h...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.1 doesn't solve the problem; in fact, in my case, it caused it to return.  As you may recall from my previous posts, my April 2013 folder of images suffered from the constant thumbnail and preview rebuilding and resulting sluggish operation.  When I moved to a new folder -- May 2013 -- the problem went away, so I assumed there was a glitch in the April folder.  Then I made the mistake of updating to 8.1, and now the May folder suffers from the constant rebuilding.  This is extremely frustrating, to be kind.  For the record, I have a Windows 7 system with plenty of memory and storage; I convert Canon and Sony raws to DNG on import and add metadata at that time; I add keywords in Bridge; the folder contains only DNGs and jpegs; I export the cache to folders; my previous attempts to fix the April folder all failed (re-set preferences; purge cache; etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried 8.1 yesterday too. I concur that it doesn't fix the problem. If anything, it made Bridge a lot more sluggish and jerky.

I have now started exporting cache to folders too, after a tip from sopmeone in the ACR forum. It makes rebuilding the cache a damn sight faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A question for Yammer P and d Huez...are either of you on the cloud? If not, I wonder if that would make a difference. Yammer, when you say you are exporting the cache to folders, do you mean you are clicking on:  "tools/cache/build and export cache"

Meanwhile, next week I am going to the office of someone on the cloud with photoshop and bringing a thumbdrive of my raw images with metadata (Canon 7D and the point and shoot G11). I want to see if the problem occurs on their system. Like us, he is on Windows 7. I will tell you what I discover.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not on the Cloud.  This whole thing is maddening.  My May 2013 folder was behaving responsibly until I updated to 8.1.  None of my preferences, presets, or procedures have changed, but now thumbnails and previews are constantly being rebuilt, just as they were in my April 2013 folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same experience here.  I tried 8.1 on cs6 (not on cloud), extensive repeated recaching.  Reverted to 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will be an interesting test. There has to be a commonality to the problems here vs those who do not have them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the commonality the presence of Sidecars or DNGs in the folder?

I use neither and prefer to use a Central DB instead and do not have the thumbnail-rebuilding problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CameraAnn wrote:

Is the commonality the presence of Sidecars or DNGs in the folder?

Would seem likely.  An Adobe engineer writes (post 321) that he has  observed the problem in a test system, and it "doesn't seem to be triggered when image settings are stored in the ACR databse, as opposed to in a side car file"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be careful if you have trashed Prefs or installed new software because the Default is to use Sidecars and not a Central DB.

That was how I got bitten but fortunately realised what had happened before the teeth had sunk in too deeply.

So I simply trashed the newly created sidecars, reset my Prefs, and reprocessed the affected NEFs in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines